Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting medicine without leaving cert chemistry.. bad?

• 26-08-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

i'm starting medicine in nui galway next month. did physics and biology for the leaving cert but not chemistry. is that gonna make a big difference? doing premed so i'm sure that'll help.. anyone know if it'd be hard to catch up ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thesituation51

Im a med student in UCD, did bio n chem for LC, but no physics so I was worried going in - but premed will teach you everything you need to know (and then some!) The only tough bit is biochemistry, and it's probably a good idea to get a book for that when you start it (different people like different books so have a flick through a few!). Investing in Chemistry Live, the LC book, could help you as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thesituation51

also, congrats and good luck! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Im a med student in UCD, did bio n chem for LC, but no physics so I was worried going in - but premed will teach you everything you need to know (and then some!) The only tough bit is biochemistry, and it's probably a good idea to get a book for that when you start it (different people like different books so have a flick through a few!). Investing in Chemistry Live, the LC book, could help you as well!
    Surely there's no physics in med?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

theowen wrote: »

There's more than you'd imagine, but not enough that not doing physics in the LC would be any hindrance to you. A good share of cardio and resp physiology is basically physics, I didn't do physics for the leaving but didn't really find any of that stuff hard to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

yerayeah wrote: »
    There's more than you'd imagine, but not enough that not doing physics in the LC would be any hindrance to you. A good share of cardio and resp physiology is basically physics, I didn't do physics for the leaving but didn't really find any of that stuff hard to understand.
    Ouch, still annoying. I was always terrible at physics. I remember junior cert science, getting As in the biol and chem parts and then C/Ds in physics...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 justniamh

alright thanks :) yeah i've already heard some bad stuff about biochemistry on here haha.. yeah i'm gonna see if i can dig up my sisters old chemistry book and i can just study that.. prob shuda started earlier but still in shock i got in haha. thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

justniamh wrote: »
    alright thanks :) yeah i've already heard some bad stuff about biochemistry on here haha.. yeah i'm gonna see if i can dig up my sisters old chemistry book and i can just study that.. prob shuda started earlier but still in shock i got in haha. thanks :)
    Biochemistry in premed is part of the biology course, some of the stuff is similiar to leaving cert (proteins, carbs, cell structure, osmosis) with just more detail. The chemistry course is similiar enough to leaving cert and most people found it manageable when they hadn't done it before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Biochemistry in premed is part of the biology course, some of the stuff is similiar to leaving cert (proteins, carbs, cell structure, osmosis) with just more detail. The chemistry course is similiar enough to leaving cert and most people found it manageable when they hadn't done it before :)

thank God for that! Have a major fear re: Biochem :)

etymon wrote: »
    thank God for that! Have a major fear re: Biochem :)
    I know...its the module I'm dreading most for this year (first med). It probably sounds creepier than it is :P The small part we did in premed (half a semester) was ok though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

theowen wrote: »

Loads of physics. Especially respiratory physiology - it's all physics. Pain in the arse really!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I know...its the module I'm dreading most for this year (first med). It probably sounds creepier than it is :P The small part we did in premed (half a semester) was ok though :)

I dreaded it too but really, in the end, it wasn't quite as bad as I thought.

You're in NUIG aren't you? If so, that means you'll probably have Dr. Lynn O'Connor lecturing you for most of the Biochem module. She's really very good actually (and very funny too! :D) so you'll do fine if you follow the guidance she gives you. :)

I dreaded it too but really, in the end, it wasn't quite as bad as I thought.

You're in NUIG aren't you? If so, that means you'll probably have Dr. Lynn O'Connor lecturing you for most of the Biochem module. She's really very good actually (and very funny too! :D) so you'll do fine if you follow the guidance she gives you. :)

Yup, I am :) Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Vorsprung wrote: »
    Loads of physics. Especially respiratory physiology - it's all physics. Pain in the arse really!

I wouldn't say Leaving Cert physics would be necessary to get to grips with it though, resp. physiology was understandable enough without it for me anyway!

Advertisement