Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to Volunteering, want to help

• 26-08-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I dont really know how to start,
    But basically Ive given it alot of thought lately and have decided that Im fed up with wasting my time being unemployed and if not unemployed, enduring the humdrum of working in some dead end job that offers no satisfaction or sense of achievement.
    I want to do something worthwhile that makes a difference, and I dont care about money, I would have no problem donating the ample time I have on my hands to a volunteer organisation.

Things that really move me and make me want to help, are the homeless, those in extreme poverty and the elderly who have nobody, which kind of had me floating towards SVP, but Ive heard the rumours that they are a soft touch, out of touch and dont try get to the root of problems, and this puts me off.

Ive applied to the Simon community, and other groups, but they seem more like a business then a charity in regards looking to get involved, Im waiting to hear something back

Can anyone tell me what would be my best bet to get involved in volunteer work

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Well done for taking the initiative. It is August so SVP and Simon might not be functioning at 100% for issues like taking on volunteers. They are both large organisations so there are bound to be some negative stories about them as well as the very positive ones for the work they do. Hopefully if you do join one of those two you will find a group of people that are good to work with.
    Another good organisation Friends of the elderly might be a good fit.
    Dublin South volunteer centre a ten things to think about when thinking of volunteering. The first two:
    1. Research the causes or issues important to you.
    Look for a group that deals with issues about which you feel strongly. You might already be giving money to one of these organisations, and that might be a good place to begin your volunteer experience. If you can't find such an organisation, here's a challenging and intriguing thought: why not start one yourself? You can rally your neighbors to clean up that vacant lot on the corner, patrol the neighborhood, paint an elderly neighbor's house, take turns keeping an eye on the ailing person down the street, or form a group to advocate for a remedy to that dangerous intersection in your neighborhood. There is no end to the creative avenues for volunteering, just as there is no end to the need for volunteers.
    2. Consider the skills you have to offer.
    If you enjoy outdoor work, have a knack for teaching, or just enjoy interacting with people, you may want to look for volunteer work, which would incorporate these aspects of your personality. Many positions require a volunteer who has previous familiarity with certain equipment, such as computers, or who possesses certain skills, such as ability in athletics or communications. For one of these positions you might decide to do something comparable to what you do on the job during your workday, or something that you already enjoy as a hobby. This sort of position allows you to jump right into the work without having to take training to prepare for the assignment.

Advertisement