Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

google problem

• 26-08-2010 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi,
    sometimes when I click on a link after doing a google search, the link doesnt work and the page stays the same. We have the eircom bundle internet thing in our house. mine works most of the time, my bro's doesnt work at all, any ideas whats wrong, is it an internet problem or is it a computer thing? my laptop is a year old but the brother's is about 4 or 5 years old..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Have you tried using a different search engine (yahoo, altavista etc ). You might also try turning the eircom router off and on again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Gardoggle

i'll give those suugestions a try johnathon thanks.
    would love to know what the problem is with google though, only occured to me now to email them..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Try different browsers(firefox,chrome) and as the other poster said, try yahoo and see how you get on.

Maybe the machine just needs a bit of TLC(anti-virus, anti-spyware, defrag, clean up temporary internet files etc etc) to get it back on the straight and narrow again!!

Try different browsers(firefox,chrome) and as the other poster said, try yahoo and see how you get on.

Maybe the machine just needs a bit of TLC(anti-virus, anti-spyware, defrag, clean up temporary internet files etc etc) to get it back on the straight and narrow again!!

Thanks Billy, I'll have a look at his laptop and try to tidy it up a bit, I've submitted the prob to the google help forum, cant find any way of actually contacting a help centre directly..

Gardoggle wrote: »
    Thanks Billy, I'll have a look at his laptop and try to tidy it up a bit, I've submitted the prob to the google help forum, cant find any way of actually contacting a help centre directly..

You could be waiting a while fella, but do let us know how you get on.
    Chances are you will get a quicker answer on here that you will from google(which might be slightly ironic considering so many IT people these days rely on google to help them solve things the dont know about LOL)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Before trying their support or other browsers, have you cleared the history and cache of the browser you are using? (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome)

Try that first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Gardoggle wrote: »
    Hi,
    sometimes when I click on a link after doing a google search, the link doesnt work and the page stays the same. We have the eircom bundle internet thing in our house. mine works most of the time, my bro's doesnt work at all, any ideas whats wrong, is it an internet problem or is it a computer thing? my laptop is a year old but the brother's is about 4 or 5 years old..
    Does this sound familiar?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67059384&postcount=10

Would love to find out what causes this (non-)behaviour with some links in Google!

chin_grin wrote: »
    Before trying their support or other browsers, have you cleared the history and cache of the browser you are using? (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome)

Try that first.

Thats interesting alright coz I usually delete the temporary internet files fairly frequently but havent done so for a while, and I know the bro hasnt done that in his life, which would explain why it doesnt happen to mine as much as his, Ta Chin

davenewt wrote: »
    Does this sound familiar?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67059384&postcount=10

Would love to find out what causes this (non-)behaviour with some links in Google!

yeah me too dave, gona clear the bro's internet history when he comes back later and see if that works, if not I'll just change his search engine to yahoo and see how he gets on with that..

I'll post up the results..

In my experience it's nothing to do with the usual cache, history etc.

It may be related to our company firewall/cache setup but that's something beyond my control and to be honest, I'm baffled as to why it would only affect certain links, to our own website, only within IE and only on Google.

Let me know what you find out later :)

• Advertisement

davenewt wrote: »
    In my experience it's nothing to do with the usual cache, history etc.

It may be related to our company firewall/cache setup but that's something beyond my control and to be honest, I'm baffled as to why it would only affect certain links, to our own website, only within IE and only on Google.

Let me know what you find out later :)

I think the OP is complaining about his home broadband

I think the OP is complaining about his home broadband
    I realise that. If there's a common cause for the problem then his situation, being different in many respects, may help get to the bottom of it.

OP - ask your ISP if they use bluecoat (network optimisation software) as that's the only thing our IT dept have suggested may be causing the behaviour here.

Advertisement