Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Wake - what you think of it?

Options
  • 26-08-2010 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Just recently completed it.

It wasnt a bad game actually. The use of light as weapons, especially the flashbangs and flares.

Did anyone else notice that it was "inspired" by the secret window?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Secret Window, Twin Peaks, The Shining, Early Edition... and that car that kept showing up is identical to Ash's from Evil Dead.

To be perfectly honest it didn't have an original bone in its body. But it put all those "homages" together so well that I didn't really care. Damn fine game, genuinely creepy when it wanted it to be, and Barry Wheeler was the least annoying comic relief I've ever seen in a game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's no Deadly Premonition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No, Alan Wake is actually a good game. ;)

I personally loved it. Great atmosphere, great story, impressive (outdoor) lighting and some cool music to boot. While some of it's ideas were clearly recycled the package as a hole was fantastic imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Great game and great story but dont think id play it again but id love to play the rest of the chapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

Jim?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I thought it was excellent. It was very well put together. The music worked really well. I liked the songs between chapters thing. The end of the second chapter (I think it was) was brilliantly executed. The whole cast was really fleshed out. There were no duds at all and as someone already said Barry was quite funny, especially when he went Rambo. "Flaming eye of mordor" springs to mind. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I just finished this the other night. I did quite enjoy it. Never hit the heights of the Max Payne dream sequences for me but it had some genuinely excellent moments and some cool set pieces. It's not without it's problems but i did enjoy the lighting and the use of the torch was really good.

Gonna take a break from it then maybe play through it again to pick up on the further nuances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I thought it was ok, it certainly didn't live up to the hype, but what does.

Alan's narration was driving me mad by the end, he narrates absolutely everything!!!!!! But apart from that it is was ok action game, I didn't think it ever really hit the survival horror note for me, as I always seemed to have tonnes of ammo or flares to dispatch enemies with and there were no really big scares. Still waiting for a game to make me near sh*t my pants like the scene in Condemned
    In the high school, and you are examining what you think is a dead body stuffed in a locker, and after a few seconds using your CSI tools, the body jumps out at you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Still waiting for a game to make me near sh*t my pants like the scene in Condemned
    In the high school, and you are examining what you think is a dead body stuffed in a locker, and after a few seconds using your CSI tools, the body jumps out at you

I adore that game, genuinely scary stuff!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That's for sure :D
    gizmo wrote: »
    No, Alan Wake is actually a good game. ;)

Exactly! ;)

I loved it, very polished, loved the chapter breaks/music, atmosphere, voice acting, cutscenes, control system, story....it was all brilliant. Had a bit of a Max Payne feel about it (which is a good thing), not as edgey though, more horror based. The ending was baffling though, I have the first DLC pack here too which I've played a bit into, not too far. Seems a lot more difficult for some reason...but hopefully it will give some answers :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

gizmo wrote: »
    I personally loved it. Great atmosphere, great story, impressive (outdoor) lighting and some cool music to boot. While some of it's ideas were clearly recycled the package as a hole was fantastic imo.
    I'm almost finished it myself. I don't think it tries to hide the lack of originality but it is very well produced and comes together quite nicely. I enjoy a game with a unique approach to story-telling and the story of Alan Wake has definitely kept me interested. It reminds me of Silent Hill with the fog, darkness and frights. Come to think of it, it's nowhere near Silent Hill 2 for freakiness but a great game nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Loved it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I very much enjoyed it, although the repetition did get to me after a while. The atmosphere is fantastic - if robbed from every other medium, from Twin Peaks to Stephen King :pac: - and the story shows a lot of promise. The gameplay is tense at times, but the endless wandering through forests got tiresome. However, the DLC episode suggested great things IMO, introducing new gameplay mechanics and ideas that if expanded upon in a sequel could create something very special indeed. As is, it's good, but somewhat short of its potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

whatsamsn wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that it was "inspired" by the secret window?
    Don't think they tried to hide that in the slightest... I mean the first two words you hear are "Stephen King..."
    EnterNow wrote: »
    I have the first DLC pack here too which I've played a bit into, not too far. Seems a lot more difficult for some reason...
    I thought I was the only one :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I thought I was the only one :o

Thank God! I thought I was losing it...must get back into it now that it's not just me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 83,312 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i think its not on PC

Advertisement