Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Never gotten over loss of parents as a child?

• 26-08-2010 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I lost both my parents over 16 years ago when I was 10 years old. Although I’ve been successful in life and my career, if I’m honest I’ve never gotten over the loss. Over the years I’ve tired counselling, a clinical psychologist, medication…everything but to no avail. I think what’s made it worse is that I’m also an only child so I’ve never had anyone to lean on or understand exactly how I feel. I have a large extended family and they have always tried to include me in family events but I’ve always felt like the outsider looking in, like I’m a burden for them to have around.
    I don’t really know why I’m posting this, I guess I want to hear that there is some one else out there that’s been through a similar experience?
    I haven’t been happy for 17 years and I just don’t know how be happy. Is this just how Ill always be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

I am so sorry that you lost so much at such a young age. My Mam died 3 weeks ago leaving me an 'orphan' at the age of 50 and I find it all so strange. I cannot imagine what you have gone through. Your childhood must have been so difficult. On a more positive note I think that happiness is still out there waiting to be grabbed. You sound like a determined and strong person. You are still so very young with so much to look forward to. You are young enough to fall in love and have a family of your own. I cannot begin to tell you the joy that having your own children can bring. You have the ability to paint a new landscape for your life. One filled with laughter, happiness and fun. You deserve the chance to make some new memories - YOURS !
    I honestly think that the only way to make sense of loss and tragedy is to try and build something positive from it. You will find happiness, just don't be afraid to look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

jos28 wrote: »
    I am so sorry that you lost so much at such a young age. My Mam died 3 weeks ago leaving me an 'orphan' at the age of 50 and I find it all so strange. I cannot imagine what you have gone through. Your childhood must have been so difficult. On a more positive note I think that happiness is still out there waiting to be grabbed. You sound like a determined and strong person. You are still so very young with so much to look forward to. You are young enough to fall in love and have a family of your own. I cannot begin to tell you the joy that having your own children can bring. You have the ability to paint a new landscape for your life. One filled with laughter, happiness and fun. You deserve the chance to make some new memories - YOURS !
    I honestly think that the only way to make sense of loss and tragedy is to try and build something positive from it. You will find happiness, just don't be afraid to look for it.

What a wonderful response :)

Advertisement