Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utrecht v Celtic 2nd Leg 19.30

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Why rub it in with your pretend edit??? Who ya codding?

A pretend edit...really?

I'm not trying to cod anyone. I posted my response then the half irish kid scored so I edited it to save a double post.

You're all mad tbh. I made a joke and the Celtic fans get all upset because they think it was some sort of attack on them :confused:.

Does any non-celtic fan see something wrong with my post? - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67685976&postcount=37

We'll just end this here because it's going nowhere. You're just understandably upset. Good luck in your league this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Possibly the only irishman on the pitch?

He's Dutch, not Irish.

Paddy McCourt came on as a sub - he was the only Irishman on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

He's Dutch, not Irish.

Paddy McCourt came on as a sub - he was the only Irishman on the pitch.
    He has played under age for Ireland. i find your comment a little odd

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    A pretend edit...really?

I'm not trying to cod anyone. I posted my response then the half irish kid scored so I edited it to save a double post.

You're all mad tbh. I made a joke and the Celtic fans get all upset because they think it was some sort of attack on them :confused:.

Does any non-celtic fan see something wrong with my post? - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67685976&postcount=37

We'll just end this here because it's going nowhere. You're just understandably upset. Good luck in your league this season.

No, you didnt edit. You typed out the word EDIT. And yes we are all mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

He has played under age for Ireland. i find your comment a little odd

He rejected the call-up to Ireland. Don't think he has ever played for our younger teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

frantic190 wrote: »
    He rejected the call-up to Ireland. Don't think he has ever played for our younger teams.

They said on Setanta last night he played for the Ireland u15's but as far as i know this is not true. He is half Irish though whether he played for Ireland or not. McCourt in Northern Irish, not Irish.

He has played under age for Ireland.

I didn't know that.
    i find your comment a little odd

Why? He was born in Holland and has declared for Holland so I presume he considers himself Dutch.

I'm a firm believer that nationality is not necessarily about where you are born but more where you are from. As Barry Maguire was born in Holland and it would seem considers himself Dutch, as he has declared for them, then I would have thought that this was fairlt straightforward.

However, if he feels he's more Irish then that's great, it would seem that he doesn't though.

Good luck to him either way, based on last night he looks like a good player.

MOG7 wrote: »
    McCourt in Northern Irish, not Irish.

Ffs not this crap again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

They said on Setanta last night he played for the Ireland u15's but as far as i know this is not true. He is half Irish though whether he played for Ireland or not. McCourt in Northern Irish, not Irish.

Apparently it is true, I was wrong :) Someone posted this on another forum (dunno if I am allowed to link it?) about him a while ago when he played against Ireland for Holland.
    McCaffrey “held discussions” with Dutch youngster

February 8, 2007

Republic of Ireland youths boss Sean McCaffrey has revealed that he spoke with Dutch international youngster Barry Maguire about the possibility of representing Ireland.

Maguire, 17 and born in Holland, is a regular at first-team level for Dutch league side Den Bosch and made his under-18 debut for the Dutch AGAINST Ireland on Wednesday night.

He qualifies for Ireland through his Dublin-born father – and even donned the green for a friendly at under-15 level – but now looks destined to slip through McCaffrey’s net.

The Irish chief told the Irish Daily Star: “I had discussions with Barry about playing for us and I thought he was going to declare for Ireland.

“I’ve had scouts over to Holland to watch Barry play for his club and the reports were excellent.

Although he did reject an u21 call-up at some point. There is a site with all of our underage squads through the years but I can't for the life of me find it.

McCourt in Northern Irish, not Irish.

McCourt was born on the island of Ireland (a geographical name for two political entities 1. the Republic of Ireland and 2. "Northern Ireland"(sic)) and by definition is Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

No, you didnt edit. You typed out the word EDIT. And yes we are all mad

If you edit your post within a minute (or something) of posting, it doesn't show up as edited. Which is why he typed 'edit'.

fullstop wrote: »
    If you edit your post within a minute (or something) of posting, it doesn't show up as edited. Which is why he typed 'edit'.

ok. I was wondering why someone would go to the trouble of typing out EDIT. Doh!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

McCourt was born on the island of Ireland (a geographical name for two political entities 1. the Republic of Ireland and 2. "Northern Ireland"(sic)) and by definition is Irish.

Ok wow i wasn't trying to start anything, Irish, Northern Irish, i don't see the fuss. What i was commenting on was the Barry Maguire comment
    He's Dutch, not Irish.

He is half Irish you know, calling him "Not Irish" technically isn't right is it? He has represented ireland and Holland at under age.

fullstop wrote: »

Thank you for explaining.

Thank you for explaining.

And apologies to you. I was pissed off last night and up for a go at anyone over the slightest thing. And yes, we still are all mad.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I don't know why you are getting so upset. The guys name is Ricky Van Wolfswinkel so I made a (bad) joke because you don't often hear that chant with a long name like Ricky Van Wolfswinkel at the end.

You have to calm down before you post on forums if something like my post sets you off.

I'm fully entitled to post in whatever thread I want to post in. It is a forum after all.

The moderators may give you the right to post tripe in any thread you wish but I dont care for your opinion and I told you as much.

I wasnt upset at all, the result was disappointing and I have respect for most opinions including Rangers supporters but I just dont want to listen to people who dont have a clue about Celtic or the SPL. I got an insight to your mentality towards Scottish Football in another thread and I spoke my mind. It was worth the warning.

Dempsey wrote: »
    The moderators may give you the right to post tripe in any thread you wish but I dont care for your opinion and I told you as much.

I wasnt upset at all, the result was disappointing and I have respect for most opinions including Rangers supporters but I just dont want to listen to people who dont have a clue about Celtic or the SPL. I got an insight to your mentality towards Scottish Football in another thread and I spoke my mind. It was worth the warning.

That's fine, it seems like you didn't like my comment in the other thread a few weeks back that said the SPL was a load of sh*te and you have been waiting for me to make another SPL related post to go off on me. It's the only reasonable explanation I see.

Once again I didn't come into this thread to bash your precious Celtic. I was watching the match then came on boards, happened to drop into this thread and made a joke about the guys name. You're going way OTT.

Feel free to add me to your ignore list if you haven't already.

We'll leave it there, as I said yesterday it's going nowhere.

That's fine, it seems like you didn't like my comment in the other thread a few weeks back that said the SPL was a load of sh*te and you have been waiting for me to make another SPL related post to go off on me. It's the only reasonable explanation I see.

Once again I didn't come into this thread to bash your precious Celtic. I was watching the match then came on boards, happened to drop into this thread and made a joke about the guys name. You're going way OTT.

Feel free to add me to your ignore list if you haven't already.

We'll leave it there, as I said yesterday it's going nowhere.

Waiting? LOL, dont flatter yourself.

You think the SPL is ****e yet you were watching an SPL club playing a match. Of all the matches to watch last night, Celtic in action was the most appealing to you? I find that hard to believe tbh

Given your slant against Scottish Football, i think any opinion you have on the SPL or Scottish Football related is inflammatory.

I dont think calling a spade a spade is OTT

Waiting? LOL, dont flatter yourself.

You think the SPL is ****e yet you were watching an SPL club playing a match. Of all the matches to watch last night, Celtic in action was the most appealing to you? I find that hard to believe tbh

Given your slant against Scottish Football, i think any opinion you have on the SPL or Scottish Football related is inflammatory.

I dont think calling a spade a spade is OTT

Give it a rest will ya. He is entitled to post what he wants. Yopu dont think the spl is Sh1te???

• Advertisement

Give it a rest will ya. He is entitled to post what he wants. Yopu dont think the spl is Sh1te???

I wasnt talking to you, was I?

I wasnt talking to you, was I?

Well, i'm talking to you. I think you're over reacting thats all. Not having a go at you per se. So do you not think the spl is sh!te?

Did I say I was watching for Celtic? I don't think i did.

I was watching because one of my friends was talking about how great Utrecht are all day at work and he mentioned the Maguire kid. That's why I was watching.

Not all about Celtic yanno.

Well, i'm talking to you. I think you're over reacting thats all. Not having a go at you per se. So do you not think the spl is sh!te?

No I dont think its ****e, do want a reason aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

What about McGeady and McCarthy then? :p;)

No I dont think its ****e, do want a reason aswell?

Ya ok go on then give it to me.

• Advertisement

*Pulls up a chair*

Please don't disappoint us and say because of the Old Firm. It's 2/3 games in a 30+ game season.

*Pulls up a chair*

Please don't disappoint us and say because of the Old Firm. It's 2/3 games in a 30+ game season.

No oatsey, 2 teams dont make a league, well done. Here's a gold star!

I've watched worse leagues so I know that I wouldn't class as ****e and it wouldnt be the SPL. I suppose your defination of ****e is anything bar the top 5 leagues in the world? Ya?

So wher'es this reason then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Dempsey's getting touchy :)

SPL is a shocking league and bar Celtic and Rangers it's on par with the LOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

SantryRed wrote: »
    Dempsey's getting touchy :)

SPL is a shocking league and bar Celtic and Rangers it's on par with the LOI.

Not quite yet but if it keeps going the way it is it won't be long ;)

• Advertisement

I suppose your defination of ****e is anything bar the top 5 leagues in the world? Ya?

Not at all. FIRST of all to have a good league it needs to be competitive which the SPL isn't.
    do want a reason aswell?

We're still waiting for your reason.

Not at all. FIRST of all to have a good league it needs to be competitive which the SPL isn't.

Oh here we go, by that logic, La Liga isnt competitive because its also dominated primarily by 2 clubs.

The SPL isnt as bad as you like to try and make out. Last night was a bad night for Scottish Football but dont go all Eamon Dunphy on it

You watch many games besides Celtic and Rangers to make that assessment? I've watched many games in higher ranked leagues that arent any better than a edinburgh derby or new firm match. Many a good player flopped in the SPL, including a recent world cup finalist. Surely an **** league wouldnt be able to attract such a player and if they did surely they would run riot, no??

Oh here we go, by that logic, La Liga isnt competitive because its also dominated primarily by 2 clubs.

The SPL isnt as bad as you like to try and make out. Last night was a bad night for Scottish Football but dont go all Eamon Dunphy on it

You watch many games besides Celtic and Rangers to make that assessment? I've watched many games in higher ranked leagues that arent any better than a edinburgh derby or new firm match. Many a good player flopped in the SPL, including a recent world cup finalist. Surely an **** league wouldnt be able to attract such a player and if they did surely they would run riot, no??

Maybe when I said first it was the wrong word. Let's change it to ''It's important to have a competitive league.''
    La Liga is a helluva lot more competitive than the SPL OVERALL. Not just the race for the title.

and to your other point about watching other games that don't have Celtic/Rangers playing - I would rather watch paint dry.

Still waiting for a DECENT reason as to why the SPL isn't sh*te.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement