Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weirdest Kills your cat has brought you

Options
  • 26-08-2010 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

This morning I woke up to balu (my tabby) patiently waiting at the side of my bed. In his mouth was the mankiest half eaten spider I have ever seen! He promptly laid it in the ground and walked away. So far I have gotten flies, butterflies, one fluff ball which I think he mistook for a mouse, and one pigeon.

Ah bless my little furball!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just the usual--birds,mice but the worst was a rat that was nearly the size of the cat itself.Dont know how he managed to carry it in the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 EDude

A few years ago the cat I had the brought me the neighbours shredded bin tag! They still think it was blown away or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

My cats I have at the moment hardly hunt at all.

But my old cats used to always bring home rats, and sometimes just leave the head.

One time I found a beak and crow's feet with a few feathers. That was pretty disgusting . . .

And one time they got a hare that was huge, bigger than any of my cats. It must have been injured or something, because I'd have thought hares are very fast.

One of them killed a frog but they didn't eat it, we had a stream at the end of the garden.

Oh and one of my cats discovered that the neighbours had doves, that were allowed to fly around freely . . . so she would bring one home every day, til I put a bell on her . . . but the neighbours said that some got sick or got hit by cars too, so they all died after a while.

I don't like them to kill things or to go out and find dead things, but I just accept it really, you get used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

My little fellow brought me home a rat one evening, he was only tiny about 6 months and he was dragging the rat up the patio. I screamed my head off and after he was finished with it i got Sterile wipes and washed the cats paws and all LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Butterflys,spiders,mice,baby birds and bits of cooked fish and sausages(from neigbours houses presumably!)were things our cat Patches used to bring home before she was knocked down a few months ago.

Her favourite ''kill'' seemed to be worms though,at least 2 every night,she'd bring them in,drop them in front of her,sit down and just watch them for hours,eventually she'd paw them down the tiny holes in our wooden floors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

blondie7 wrote: »
    after he was finished with it i got Sterile wipes and washed the cats paws and all LOL

Laughed at this so hard coffee nearly came out my nose! I bet you he was looking at you with a "seriously WTF?!" Expression!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

lizard

and he once brought 2 kittens (about 2 weeks old) home, one of them was alive but sadly the other wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KillerKity

My cat once killed a bird, ate some of it and then puked it back out over the dead bird....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

My cat ate a sausage whole and swallowed wothout chewing the regurgitated it whole again

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

uppishhauk wrote: »
    lizard

and he once brought 2 kittens (about 2 weeks old) home, one of them was alive but sadly the other wasn't

Did you keep the live kitten?

My first cat brought a live magpie (so therefore not a kill) into the house and the racket from the other magpies outside was unreal. Lots of bird poop all over the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

Rochester wrote: »

yea we hand raised her and both cats get on fine now so alls good
    shes about a year and a half now and hasn't shown any ill effects from early separation from the mother whoever she may be

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Rochester wrote: »

My first cat brought a live magpie (so therefore not a kill) into the house and the racket from the other magpies outside was unreal. Lots of bird poop all over the house.

Mine brought home a dead crow the other morning... we were both sitting at the table looking out at the patio, and she sort of entered the "stage" from the left, dragging the dead crow between here legs. She could have worked at the Ministry for silly walks the way she staggered with the weight and size of the dead bird hanging down between her front legs.
    Took us a moment what she had there to begin with, and when I went outside to dispose of it, the sky was literally black with crows making the most frightening racket... I shut the door again and refused to go out until they were gone, they scared the life out of me.
    It didn't faze the cat, though. It was almost as if she was gloating...

Other than that, she usually only brings home mice and rats. But if she does go for birds, she goes for the big ones. Usually pigeons, every other month or so, but my neighbour said she once saw her stalking a duck.

Once we had a litter of black kittens and a litter of different coloured kittens, and one of the mother cats caught a crow. One of the white kittens was eating the crow and had blood all over his face and was growling while eating and my brother walked round the corner and thought he was eating one of the black kittens. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

My parents cat I'm afraid to say has a thing for Pgymy Shrew's. I think we have had 3 left at the door :mad: however she is quite the rat catcher so we will have to forgive her for killing the shrews.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_Pygmy_Shrew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I know its not the weirdest thing, but I opened my back door a while ago and found half a bird head on my mat. Not sure where the body, or the rest of the head went, and I'm sure she meant it as a compliment, but really? :D

morganafay wrote: »
    Once we had a litter of black kittens and a litter of different coloured kittens, and one of the mother cats caught a crow. One of the white kittens was eating the crow and had blood all over his face and was growling while eating and my brother walked round the corner and thought he was eating one of the black kittens. :eek:

:eek:

That must have been quite a fright...

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

My cats have a habit of leaving destroyed magpies at the back door:) looks like a total massacre blood everywhere! Magpies must put up a serious fight.

Have had pygmy shrews, half alive mice, baby rabbits :(, rats and all manner of birds. When caught they parade around prey in mouth, looking through the window to get our attention! They dont eat them, so its sad seeing the poor creatures murdered for no purpose! Have to admit i hate magpies and i always feel pretty impressed when i see one at the back door :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 devais

My other half arrived home one night to hear loud screeching at the side of our house. He ran inside to find a torch and came out only to find our tiny cat dragging a rabbit twice her size by the throat through the hedge. Needless to say I was not pleased at all :mad:. But if you were to meet her you would think butter would'nt melt and she is so timid - she is scared of everyone and runs a mile if she hears a strange voice. Yet every week she arrives with birds, mice and rats etc. - must try and train her to tackle burglars:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Meathgirl

the shrew population is endangered.....my cat leaves at least 3 at my front door every morning!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

One of mine came in one evening and ran straight past me with something in her mouth.

I followed her into the living room to find she had a fully cooked pork sausage!

It was so funny to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

My cat that passed away recently used to kill things all the time. Usually went for pigeons and big birds. I never saw her with anything smaller really. I don't know how she caught some of the huge ones they must have been already sick/dying or thick because she could barely drag some of them home. Once I think a pigeon flew into the upstairs bathroom and I found the devastation, place looked like csi. She killed loads of mice as well.

Her brother who is still with us was never any good at hunting but his best was catching a small frog next door and dropping it, semi alive on my mum's chest when she was sunbathing outside one summer. She jumped up terrified and her screaming made us come out of the house and the cat was thrown to the ground off her chest along with his hunting trophy. He wasn't popular after that and he was just like 'what the hell I thought you'd love it' expression on his face. He didn't really bother much with hunting after that. He thinks he's a dog though doesn't even climb trees.

Our collie once killed a mouse on our patio once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

I don't think my cat has ever brought us anything she has hunted. Not long ago I saw her up on a branch on one of the massive trees looking as if she was ready to pounce (probably on a nest) with two adult Jackdaws swooping down and pecking at her.

My last cat would always bring a bird or a mouse to the door when we were going on holidays. Never anything interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,606 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Of our current cats, one is too lazy to kill things, but the other, the small, nervous, scared of her own shadow cat is war on butterflies and other insects, and has caught one bird (that I know of).

A cat that we had a few years ago when we lived in the country was a mighty hunter. On time we went into the car port and moved the trailer that had been sitting there for a while and found his larder. A pheasant - that we did not tell the local gun club about! A stoat, a couple of rabbits, several shrews, a rat and a blackbird. We had to have full scale burial. He was not impressed, but must have moved his stash because we never saw that much again.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

My folks have two cats. Their older one is a total jessie and only kills the occasional frog, but their young one is about a year old and he's the biggest killing machine I've ever seen! I think he has some sort of zombie virus or something though because his favourite thing is to catch a bird, crack off the top of its head and munch out its brains. Almost daily my folks find decapitated bird corpses in the back garden. He likes to leave them beside the sun swing. Little nacker! He's not adverse to a bit of rat brain either. They live in a pretty urban area so unless he starts killing other people's cats / dogs / rabbits, (which there's probably a good danger he will do as he gets bigger) there's not really many larger animals for him to kill or I'm sure he'd have tasted their brains by now. Must drop him over some fava beans and a nice chianti next time I'm over there! Lol

One of my cats once had a live mouse and was teaching her kittens to play with it. And my dog took it off them, brought it over to me and dropped it on the ground in front of her. It didn't run away, I guess it was too scared, so she just kept looking at it and then at me, and looked really puzzled. :) I released it at the back of my garden so hopefully it survived, it didn't seem to be injured, just terrified!

And the dog was practically raised by my cats I had then, who were good hunters, so I don't know how she never got the hunting instinct. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Our cat regularly brings us rolled up socks from the bedroom floor! She thinks she's great - looks all proud, expecting us to praise her for being such a good hunter!

That reminded me.... years back, when I was still living in Germany, we had a cat who was a fierce hunter indeed. She'd bring us between 2 - 5 mice a day.
    Our house was on the route some children would take to school, and I remember one summer being woken up every morning by the same daft child screaming her head off about the dead mouse on the pavement. Every single day for 4 weeks straight.
    You would think she would have at one point just started walking on the other side of the street....

One evening I was sitting outside our front door writing a letter when that very same cat came up with a live mouse in her mouth.
    She was obviously going to play with it, and while I was still sitting there debating with myself if it would be the ethical thing to do to chase the cat off and release the mouse, or if the mouse was too hurt already and would die anyway, she put the mouse down in front of her and gazed at it as if she couldn't quite decide yet what to do.
    That very moment, the mouse, who had been crouching in front of her absolutely terrified and motionless, jumped up and bit the cat on the nose.

The cat screeched and retreated a bit, in utter amazement, while the mouse scuttled off in no big hurry, as if this was all in a days work for it anyway.
    My cat remained slightly confused for the rest of the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

Laughed at this so hard coffee nearly came out my nose! I bet you he was looking at you with a "seriously WTF?!" Expression!

Poor buddy, he was so proud of himself, i was just thinking of the germs LOL

This wasn't my cat, or any cat really but....

I had just got off the bus this morning in the business park where I work. I was walking towards our office, when round the corner comes this large gray dog (not a stray by the looks of him, sleek gray coat and a breed I can't remember at the moment, a bit like a great dane), dangling a dead rabbit from his mouth.
    Gives me a look, and then walks right past me down the road, and eventually in between two other office blocks.
    The business park is miles from nowhere, so you don't usually see any dogs around here, at least not any that look like they've got owners. This was such a random moment...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

One of my cats won't stop bringing butterflies into the house!! Every day I have to catch a couple of butterflies and let them out. Anyone know where you can get those collars with a butterfly bell on it??

butterfly1.jpg

butterfly2.jpg

Advertisement