Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferring an offer

• 26-08-2010 4:38pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

Anyone have an experience of deferring an offer and how to do it or info on it? Can't find too much on how to do this, do you accept the offer first?

I have a small problem, I can't really decide what to do. :(
    I was only really interested in 1 course Sports Management in UCD, I didn't get enough points. I had alot of business related courses below and didn't get the required points either.

Got offered Leisure management in DIT, a level 7 I'm pretty sure it isn't really the same as the other course. And I'm not sure what I would do after it, I was told I could do a masters in business but I would need to do 4 years of a course I'm not really sure about.

There the option of doing a business PLC for a year near home, not really sure what I'd do after that though maybe could get into a business course at a higher level.

Then there is repeating and aiming for the Sports Management course, problem is I really don't want to go back for another year of school. I've looked into the course in UCD, no way of getting in with a Fetac or anything else I don't think.

Really don't know what to do tbh and very little time to think, so stressful and depressing. I can't make a decision about it!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

To defer you don't accept the course as far as I know. You must ring up whichever institute that is offering you the place and ask them is it possible to defer and they will tell you wether you can or can't.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Any advice would be appreciated...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Don't accept the place, ring the college and ask them are you allowed to defer, normally you are but it usually depends on the second round offers. good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

DB10 wrote: »
    I have a small problem, I can't really decide what to do. :(
    I was only really interested in 1 course Sports Management in UCD, I didn't get enough points. I had alot of business related courses below and didn't get the required points either.

Got offered Leisure management in DIT, a level 7 I'm pretty sure it isn't really the same as the other course. And I'm not sure what I would do after it, I was told I could do a masters in business but I would need to do 4 years of a course I'm not really sure about.

There the option of doing a business PLC for a year near home, not really sure what I'd do after that though maybe could get into a business course at a higher level.

Then there is repeating and aiming for the Sports Management course, problem is I really don't want to go back for another year of school.
    I've looked into the course in UCD, no way of getting in with a Fetac or anything else I don't think.

Really don't know what to do tbh and very little time to think, so stressful and depressing. I can't make a decision about it!:(

Its probably not what you want to hear, but I would advise repeating. I know it seems like the worst thing in the world right now, with friends planning accommodation, college, etc BUT its really not worth going to college right now if your course isn't what you want to do. Taking a few months out to try and get more points will seem like no time at all if you end up doing something you like :) Ask the repeaters of boards!

Were you far off the points for Sports Management? In repeating you can drop some of the requirements if you got whats necessary and then do your best 6 subjects for points.

As a back-up, you can defer the course you've been offered, it will be there waiting for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Brainy

There are specific procedures to be followed to defer.

1. Do NOT accept the place.

2. Contact the Admissions Office of the College and request the deferral. The request is supposed to arrive at least TWO DAYS BEFORE the Reply Date.

If you do want to defer send the email in today and contact DIT Admissions Office first thing on Monday morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement