Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

yet another upgrade question

• 26-08-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've been lurking here for long enough that I think I probably know the answer to this one ! :D

At the start of the year I promised myself an upgrade once I reached a target weight, and, hopefully I only have about a month or 6 weeks to go before I hit it, so doing the groundwork now.

My question is, when upgrading from an entry level alu bike, am I wasting my money going for the next level up in alu which is probably in or around the €1,000 - €1,500 mark when I could get one of the P/X offers or a Focus Cayo etc ?
    Something like a Trek 2.3, Felt Z75, Spesh Allez with 105 are all in or around €1.5k, yet carbon P/X with Rival or Red is similar, seems too good to pass up ??

Don't want to turn it into another P/X debate, but just wondering if a carbon bike like the P/X is too much bike for me, given its only leisure riding I do, I've zero interest in racing or anything like that. Is carbon less sturdy, prone to breaking ? Is alu more durable ? How comfortable (or not) is the geometry on the P/X ?

I do have the advantage of the cycle to work and I'm not tied to a middleman so have full flexibility in buying.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Barrya

if you want a comfy, durable cruiser then I would consider a steel frame, with high quality wheels and relaxed geometry. If power transfer and weight are not a huge bother then it might be something to think on.

most only consider carbon as an upgrade from entry level alu frames but not everyone is a racer, nor aspires to be one. carbon has obvious virtues, but it is not the only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Theres no such thing as too much bike for a leisure cyclist. If you enjoy riding a sporty racy bike then you deserve to own one- Especially if its on the btw. Spoil yourself.

CAAD9 Are generally well regarded and you would get a well equipped one for your budget.

As Barrya says though there are other options-Steel included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Russman

"spoil yourself" - I like your thinking ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Russman wrote: »
    Don't want to turn it into another P/X debate, but just wondering if a carbon bike like the P/X is too much bike for me, given its only leisure riding I do, I've zero interest in racing or anything like that. Is carbon less sturdy, prone to breaking ? Is alu more durable ? How comfortable (or not) is the geometry on the P/X ?

I can't speak for the Planet X because I have a Cayo, but I moved to that from a Spesh Sirrus (hybrid). I use the Cayo for commuting, weekend spins and sportives. Going carbon fibre was better than I could have imagined. Comfort on the road and the perfect shifting from the 105 groupset has made me a very happy cyclist over the year since I got it.

C/F might be more fragile, but I think that will only come into things if you throw it on the ground or smack it with a hammer from time to time. Regular normal care and use should cause no problems.

or smack it with a hammer from time to time.

lol, I'll try to avoid that :D

Thanks for that though, good to hear from someone using C/F for commuting, I was wondering if it was suitable for that kind of use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

C/F might be more fragile, but I think that will only come into things if you throw it on the ground or smack it with a hammer from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

papac wrote: »
    Theres no such thing as too much bike for a leisure cyclist. If you enjoy riding a sporty racy bike then you deserve to own one- Especially if its on the btw. Spoil yourself...

Thanks papac..they wer exactly the words i wanted to hear...you have just helped me justify my latest purchase :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Someone in work uses a carbon for commuting about 14~16k each way a couple of times a week, and reckon its well worth it. They do some leisure cycling also, but no racing AFAIK. Besides reaching a personal goal is reason enough no? Incentive for the next objective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

given its only leisure riding I do, I've zero interest in racing or anything like that
    .........surely a hybrid is the answer, ie. suspension on the front, loads of gears & nice comfy saddle = nice comfortable ride

• Advertisement

.........surely a hybrid is the answer, ie. suspension on the front, loads of gears & nice comfy saddle = nice comfortable ride

I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) he'd had a road bike (racer) already and want to upgraded that. A hybrid would be a backward step then. Unless of course the Road Bike wasn't comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Yeah, I assumed the same, but having recently ridden 200kms on both types of bikes recently, I have to say I'd go for a hybrid if I wanted to 'leisure' cycle, especially if going off the beaten track, eg. back roads, poor surfaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yeah, I assumed the same, but having recently ridden 200kms on both types of bikes recently, I have to say I'd go for a hybrid if I wanted to 'leisure' cycle, especially if going off the beaten track, eg. back roads, poor surfaces.

The problem is in defining "leisure cycling excluding racing". To many people, that means long distance non-competitive road cycling, for which a drop bar "racer" road bike is the best tool for the job.

Get one of each. :D

Thanks for all the comments guys.
    Leisure cycling maybe wasn't the best description. I meant I don't race or spend 8 hours in the saddle at any time. I have an entry level road bike (which I really like) and would go out for spins of up to 2 - 2.5 hours at weekends and maybe a couple of shorter ones during the week after work. Weather permitting I commute to work around half the time. Something of that order would be my lot.
    Maybe "fitness cycling" would cover it better :)!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Russman wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments guys.
    Leisure cycling maybe wasn't the best description. I meant I don't race or spend 8 hours in the saddle at any time. I have an entry level road bike (which I really like) and would go out for spins of up to 2 - 2.5 hours at weekends and maybe a couple of shorter ones during the week after work. Weather permitting I commute to work around half the time. Something of that order would be my lot.
    Maybe "fitness cycling" would cover it better :)!!

That level of training requires a bike costing at least four grand. Spending any less would just be money down the drain imo.
    You had better get some Assos gear as well or you'll just be a laughing stock.

Advertisement