Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women are more affected by the "beer goggles" than men.

• 26-08-2010 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lil_missy

I heard on the radio that a recent study has shown that women are more affected by the "beer goggles" than men. Interesting... Have you ever been affected by the "beer goggles" phenomenon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Nope, I haven't. Generally my thinking doesn't change much between sober and drunk. If I fancy someone it always sticks when sober. I don't really see how this is a real thing tbh, cause it doesn't happen me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lil_missy

Nope, I haven't. Generally my thinking doesn't change much between sober and drunk. If I fancy someone it always sticks when sober. I don't really see how this is a real thing tbh, cause it doesn't happen me.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. Just can't trust scientists these days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Smallbit

I don't know which gender are more affected, but it's only happened me once, in Greece, with the apartment complex manager. More like Ouzo goggles, but I still shudder when I remember... :o

Yes, Yes I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Beer + no contacts + it's dark in here = Oops!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

It explains why i must be getting alot of attention! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

How do they measure the beer goggle affect? Is it based on regretting being with someone the next day, or did they hold up a series pictures of people the women would soberly find unattractive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Never! No matter how ham diddly I've gotten in the past it's never happened. There's still some glimmer of sense no matter how drunk I get. Thank God!! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've definitely made some mistakes while drunk alright... :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe they weren't measuring beer goggles? Maybe what they were measuring was some women's lack of sexual confidence? So a woman is horny, wants a no strings one nighter, has a few glasses of Dutch Courage and gets it on. Wakes up the next morning, thinks bad of herself(for no good reason) and blames it on the drink. I reckon women are way more likely to have second thoughts the morning after than men.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

lil_missy wrote: »
    I heard on the radio that a recent study has shown that women are more affected by the "beer goggles" than men. Interesting... Have you ever been affected by the "beer goggles" phenomenon?

No
    I don't change at all when drunk
    Maybe they just get caught up in the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭30lady

I have definately had beer goggles once or twice. Thinking a fella is the most gorgeous thing on earth until I meet him sober and just think... he's alright!!
    I am wondering how they measure which sex is affected most though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Mens thought processes start and end in an area not associated with Goggles imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭HorsesNHarleys

Never has happened because of drinking, but after a break-up from a relationship I've had times where I've gone off and had a rebound relationship that later on I look back on and think Oh My God, What Thee Hell was I thinking!!!!:eek: And it's not even that the guys looks are bad, it's the entire package, personality and all. It just leaves me wondering did I have a major brain fart or partial frontal lobotomy which would explain such a lapse in my judgment and taste in men. Thank God those lapses were only temporary, LOL.:D:D:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The last time I heard about the beer goggles thing was when this study was published proving the beer goggle affect study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Never made any major mistakes on the looks front on a ONS but definitely on the personality front. I´ve woken up beside some serious twats in the past and was left wondering how did we get along so well the night before that we ended up in bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Mens thought processes start and end in an area not associated with Goggles imo.
    Yea you're right, Edward Jenner cured smallpox and created immunology all with the power of his dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Yeah.. it's definitely happened on more than one occasion when drink is involved. Part of the reason I don't really drink more than one or two anymore-- apparently drink removes my standards altogether. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Like EveDublin, my 'beer goggles' have little to do with the physical attractiveness of a guy and more to do with personality. I've met up with people after meeting them on a night out only to discover they are not the witty, charming, prince of a man that I remember from said drunken night.
    TBH I wouldn't give a whole lot of credit to 'beer goggles' and attractiveness. I think a lot of the time, it's late, people are feeling in the mood, their inhibitions are lower and there is a 'he'll do' or 'she'll do' mentality.
    Morning after regrets seem to vary. I know a lot of women who feel they aren't the 'type' to do one nighters and feel bad when they do. Personally, I don't bother with this. I've had some one nighters in my time, and it has always been my decision (drunk or sober) and my biggest regret is usually if the sex is bad. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

Went to a concert many moons ago with a friend, we had won the tickets at a school raffle, anywho, arrive at the concert, and we were slagging the hell out of the lead singer(a seriously dorky band at the time, very uncool), then we downed a few drinks, and what do you know....drink = beer googles = us stood there in awe of this suddenly gorgeous lead singer and ended the night cheering the loudest:o......stupid beer goggles! :D Never happened again mind....phew!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

I tend to mix only in the best circles. It virtually eliminates those 'oh dear' moments next morning. You really need to be steaming to actually commit a mortal sin, I find. Moderation folks and all will be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I always thought it was the other way around!:o

Advertisement