Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiots protesting outside Easons...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

inisboffin wrote: »
    Sorry if I missed it, but does it say somewhere that it IS the GAAW? A good few of the names I recognise, and while some likely are involved in GAAW, I am not so sure about others..

Or is the protest organised by GAAW and the letter to the Times a separate thing?

It was published in the Galway Advertiser today.

I am DEFINITELY gonna buy this book now. I hope it goes to number 1 in the charts :)

Oh and I'm all for The Galway Alliance against the Galway Alliance against war!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I must have missed the day where everyone on Boards decided that the war in Iraq was cool, Tony Blair should be the president of the universe, and to get up and say otherwise when house prices are a bit down makes you an asshole.

Then I'm ashamed to say I'm not one of those assholes. wish I was there.

2 words : Hutton Report

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Spacedog wrote: »
    I must have missed the day where everyone on Boards decided that the war in Iraq was cool

I don't think anyone said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I don't think anyone said that.

Definitely wasn't said by anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Yes it was the GAAW, said so in the Advertiser today, Amazing they wont get off their arses to go to Dublin, bunch of muppets as soon as something positive comes to Galway that has any bit of it that doesnt conform to their liking they are up in arms about it. GAAW=:pac:

• Advertisement

I too fully support The Galway Alliance against the Galway Alliance against war!

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/30129

GAAW to stage ‘Stop Blair’ protest at Easons
    Galway Advertiser, August 26, 2010.

By Kernan Andrews

The Galway Alliance Against War will stage a lunchtime protest outside Eason’s today in opposition to the company’s decision to host a book-signing event for Tony Blair in Dublin next week.

The local peace group is accusing the former British PM of being a war criminal and argues that he “deliberately lied” in order to launch the Iraq war which has led to the deaths of 1.3 million Iraqis and thousands of US and British soldiers.

The group is urging other peace organisations around the country to protest at Eason’s stores. It is also calling on the public to contact Eason’s locally and nationally and voice objections to the visit.

GAAW spokesperson Niall Farrell said he was “shocked” that Eason’s would have “anything to do with this man”.

“The British Legion has very reluctantly accepted Blair’s offer to donate his proceeds from the book to the organisation,” he said. “Many widows and families of dead British servicemen, as well as severely injured British soldiers, have described the donation as ‘blood money’.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I walked past the protest today. They weren't blocking anyone.

Peaceful protest is fine. I think they are completely wrong but thankfully we live in a country where people are allowed be wrong. They only got some local coverage on this because there is zero other news at the moment - The front page headline in today's advertiser was about a guy selling his leaving cert notes on eBay.

I am sure they are delighted with the publicly they have got out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Steyr wrote: »
    GAAW to stage ‘Stop Blair’ protest at Easons
    Hmmmm, I think they might be a few years too late.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Blairs best war was when a general was sent on a limited mission and refused to leave when he got there. Yer man is head of the army now ...after disobeying Blairs orders :)

And they love Blair ever since even though it was not his idea at all.

In fact our own armys largest foreign deployment was based on that episode.

• Advertisement

So not only are they protesting 200 miles away from the event but they're also protesting a book for which all royalties are being donated to charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ok, so is letter to times from a different group to GAAW, but just *support* the same boycott/protest? Bit confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cactus86

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    I walked past the protest today. They weren't blocking anyone.

they may have stopped by the time you went past but they were definitely making it difficult to get into the shop when i was there.

Your right though, no problem with peaceful protest

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

My favourite part of the protest is the letter to the Irish Times, which says " we the undersigned creative artists in various diciplines! Well I know of some of these people and the designation of creative artist seems to be a classier term for, has nothing better to do than sit around all day and occasionally write whining letters to the Advertiser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Galway has quite a few of these so called 'organsiations' .The local An Taisce are another pack of arroagant unaccountable full on wind and piss merchants.

As long as they did not block Easons they are well within their legal rights to protest and they are not as sneaky as An Taisce either.

I save my utter loathing for An Taisce/Galway Green type ecofascists. GAAW merely exercise the latent cynic inside :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Spacedog wrote: »
    I must have missed the day where everyone on Boards decided that the war in Iraq was cool, Tony Blair should be the president of the universe, and to get up and say otherwise when house prices are a bit down makes you an asshole.
    Then I'm ashamed to say I'm not one of those assholes. wish I was there.
    2 words : Hutton Report

Yeah it was just yesterday, did you miss it?
    There was a poll on boards and everyone decided the war in Iraq was cool.
    Wow, what are the chances, eh?
    Of course if you differ, you could have voiced your disapproval by.....um....I don't know...standing outside Easons?
    You obviously have principles, I take it you were there?

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

So not only are they protesting 200 miles away from the event but they're also protesting a book for which all royalties are being donated to charities.
    I'd imagine that GAAAAAAWWWWW would have issue with the charity itself as well, namely that it helps British soldiers.

So in that respect, if Bob Fisk was donating to the same cause, they'd be out in numbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Galway has quite a few of these so called 'organsiations' .The local An Taisce are another pack of arroagant unaccountable full on wind and piss merchants.

As long as they did not block Easons they are well within their legal rights to protest and they are not as sneaky as An Taisce either.

I save my utter loathing for An Taisce/Galway Green type ecofascists. GAAW merely exercise the latent cynic inside :cool:

Beautifully put:D

I agree completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Ha Ha yeah protesting a book that benefits charities is pretty much as cynic as it gets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

We all know where the GAAW come from especially Mr Farrell who has a hate of everything British and American, its a pity he would not go back to the North and leave us in peace here and not to have to listen to the sh..e he comes out with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I ignore these g*bsh*thes as a rule - God help one that tries to corner me 'cause they'll get an ear full! :D

They'll protest over anything and its usually the same group of people.

A few years ago there was a few protesting capitalism in the middle of Shop Street, the message was a little dampened by the fact that one of them was eating McD's... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

wow - everybody hates a protester, that is, until of course they want to protest themselves for their own personal little slight, then they expect the world to come running.

I'm glad we can use our right to protest in this country of ours - the last thing we need is a crowd of "im alright jack - feck you" idiots in the country now. Look where that got us before.

It seems tho everyone on here is suddently "pro-blair". How astonishing and fickle.

someday soon WHEN ye are all having your little protests for your own little causes, I hope people slate and walk past you too - kinda scabby in my book, but what goes around comes around. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

You're missing the point.
    Just because someone has no time for the protesters doesn't make them automatically ''pro-Blair''
    Far from it.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

hard to keep up - pro Hezbollah, anti Jewish, pro Obama, anti Blair, pro Hamas, anti Shell, pro bicycle, anti jet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Tony Blair is a scumbag.

So is anyone who wants to ban a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I was amazed when I heard a few weeks ago that a B52 Bomber yes a Bomber was going to display at the Bray Air Show yet there was not a single voice of protest from the GAAW why not, because they knew no one in Dublin would listen to them, its only a keep me in the limelight protest at Easons and the bulls..ite that he is going to carry out a citizens arrest of Tony Blair shows he is for the birds.

wow - everybody hates a protester, that is, until of course they want to protest themselves for their own personal little slight, then they expect the world to come running.

I'm glad we can use our right to protest in this country of ours - the last thing we need is a crowd of "im alright jack - feck you" idiots in the country now. Look where that got us before.

It seems tho everyone on here is suddently "pro-blair". How astonishing and fickle.

someday soon WHEN ye are all having your little protests for your own little causes, I hope people slate and walk past you too - kinda scabby in my book, but what goes around comes around. ;)
    So protesters are ok and have the right to be there...

But people don't have the right to form their own opinions on Politian’s?

Or the right to visit our county unmolested?

Or the right to release a book?

Or the right to read a book?

Or have the right to walk down the main street of a town without having others force their opinion on you?

And I just thought of something...you are giving out about our right to protest...

Kinda defeats the point of your argument doesn't it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

Its actually astounding me the venom in this thread for the man who had an influential role in the shaping of peace in this country

Do you genuinely think people were protesting in Iraq when the British were at war with Ireland?

Tony Blair should be revered in Ireland, much more than someone like Bertie. Who didnt get half as many protestors at his book launch.. Where did those proceeds go?

I think the general public are basically educationally subnormal.

• Advertisement

Fuctifino wrote: »
    Do you genuinely think people were protesting in Iraq when the British were at war with Ireland?
    There are many in the world who couldn't pick Ireland out on a map, never mind care if we protest! :D

And no, people in Iraq, or in many other countries, probably weren't worrying about our comings and goings while bombs were going off in the North...just to pick a sample.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement