Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiots protesting outside Easons...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

McDougal wrote: »
    Time to put down your Sunday Independent I think. And yes Tony Blair is a war criminal. He sent soldiers to take part in an illegal invasion based upon lies and deception which led to the deaths of over a million people. But he shook hands Gerry and The Reverend Iain so he must be ok right?

Ya I do think he's alright. I think his efforts in the north should be commended. Your efforts should be ignored.

Has there really been one million deaths? If so thats never good. I doubt it though. Do you have the facts or can you back it up? Is this your propaganda?

Yes I do read the independent and also every other paper that falls into my hand. Does that make me inferior to you. Do you realise GAAW (if thats who you are part of) get on the nerves of just about every Galwegian. Ye are seen as the biggest killjoys in town and a nuisance to everyone. A blight on the city. A joke. People with nothing better to do. Thats fact. Not the millions of people you accuse Blair of being responsible for murdering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Yep protesting against illegal wars and war criminals is totalitarian nonsense. In fact protesting against any western leaders is totalitarian isn't? Protesters should be locked up.

the point of the totalitarians is to intimidate people outside a bookstore from buying a book. A bookstore. A place of free speech.

The point is to stop free speech. You bet I would be be buying that book were I in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

No, let me explain.

I said

1) They will be protesting the internet, next. Reason: the book in question is sold on the internet.
    2) You said "They will be protesting spar, next". No idea what that means, but then I live in England. i suspect that Spar is the kind of shop that a "sophisticate" like you wouldnt be seen dead in.In other words a supremicist position, a class ridden hatred of the workers etc.

reminding mw why I hate the modern "left".

In any case were any group of totalitarians protesting outside a bookstore; be they the BNP protesting a book on Sharia, a right wing religious group protesting a homosexual book, or a group of leftoids protesting what-ever-is-fashionable-to-hate-at-the-moment I would protest by going into that very bookstore and buying that very book.

In fact I would nuy more than one and give it to the nutcases outside.

However I am not in Ireland. When the nutters come here I will be there.

Dont agree with the war, agree with his right to defend the war. Simple stuff.

No idea what you are talking about for the 50 or so words. And no one is stopping anyone buying books. That is just your imagination. Our problem is with a war criminal being brought to Ireland to promote his propaganda. I bet if Milosevic was coming to Ireland to spread his propaganda you wouldn't be so quick to defend him.

So because Blair is donating te proceeds from his propaganda to people who are maimed for life due to his war mongering he is a hero? What a ridiculous argument! Saddam Hussein did nice things for his boys in uniform too. Doesn't make him a hero.

Hang on one second, I never said that Blair was a hero. This is just another example of you ignoring the points being made by others and then attempting to come across superior but posting complete fabrications.I expect nothing else from you, it's the attitude typical of your group, the GAAW seems to regularly miss the point completely and then make up absolute crap when challenged on any issue.

I recognise that Blair did a lot of wrong when he was in power but let's be honest, there is no politician or leader who hasn't made repeated mistakes or lied. You and your group repeatedly single out America and the UK while completely ignoring atrocities occurring elsewhere.

I bet if Milosevic was coming to Ireland to spread his propaganda you wouldn't be so quick to defend him.

And I bet that you wouldn't be so quick to protest it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

No idea what you are talking about for the 50 or so words. And no one is stopping anyone buying books. That is just your imagination. Our problem is with a war criminal being brought to Ireland to promote his propaganda. I bet if Milosevic was coming to Ireland to spread his propaganda you wouldn't be so quick to defend him.

lol.I even put in numbers to explain the sequence of events to you. And most words were ever so small.

So not the brightest, are you. Did I defend Blair? Was it in the sentence where I said I did not agree with the war? Is defending the right to people to write or buy books the same as defending the actions of the author of the book.

No.

but there is clearly no point to this then.

On the ignore list you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Boards.ie is full of hypocrites and morons. Everyone on here is moaning "we need to do something, we need a change, we need to get out on the streets". And then when some people go out on the streets to protest against a war criminal promoting a propaganda book they are instantly labelled anti-semites, racists, hippies and spongers.

Boards.ie is truely for whingers and cowards who are unwillinging to stand up for anyway (apart from behind the safety of their PC that is)

And you're a fantastic example of a keyboard warrior. If these people wanted to protest a war criminal coming into the country, then go to Dublin airport and protest at his arrival here and protest at the book signing in Dublin. Protesting at the other side of the country is pointless and tarnishes the image of the GAAW (not that they've ever emanated a positive public image).

Hang on one second, I never said that Blair was a hero. This is just another example of you ignoring the points being made by others and then attempting to come across superior but posting complete fabrications.I expect nothing else from you, it's the attitude typical of your group, the GAAW seems to regularly miss the point completely and then make up absolute crap when challenged on any issue.

I recognise that Blair did a lot of wrong when he was in power but let's be honest, there is no politician or leader who hasn't made repeated mistakes or lied. You and your group repeatedly single out America and the UK while completely ignoring atrocities occurring elsewhere.

Yes you said it's good Blair is donating the money to maimed soldiers. I merely pointed out that they wouldn't be maimed if it wasn't for Blair in the first place.

It's just lazy to claim anti-war protesters are anti-American. When campaigning against the Lisbon treaty all the pro-establishment groups accused me of being "anti-European". I am anti-imperialist. It just so happens that America and Britain are the most imperialist countries on earth. It's not like I'm against baseball and hot dogs FFS.

lol.I even put in numbers to explain the sequence of events to you. And most words were ever so small.

So not the brightest, are you. Did I defend Blair? Was it in the sentence where I said I did not agree with the war? Is defending the right to people to write or buy books the same as defending the actions of the author of the book.

No.

but there is clearly no point to this then.

On the ignore list you go.

So what do you stand for apart from free speech for murderers and war criminals? Do you care about the dead and wounded Iraqi civillians at all?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's not like I'm against baseball and hot dogs FFS.

You should, american hot dogs are terribly bad for your health.

• Advertisement

Yes you said it's good Blair is donating the money to maimed soldiers. I merely pointed out that they wouldn't be maimed if it wasn't for Blair in the first place.

It's just lazy to claim anti-war protesters are anti-American. When campaigning against the Lisbon treaty all the pro-establishment groups accused me of being "anti-European". I am anti-imperialist. It just so happens that America and Britain are the most imperialist countries on earth. It's not like I'm against baseball and hot dogs FFS.

You implied that I was calling Blair a hero, you weren't tying to make a point but rather you were once again making stuff up. Also no one said you were un-American but rather it was pathetic how much of a hard on you and your group has for protesting anything that they do while ignoring numerous genocides and wars across the world. It seems that it's only once America or the UK gets involved that you want to do anything about it.

I always find it surprising how easy it is for someone like you to feel the need to fight for the soldiers, many of whom would be ashamed of the protests your group organises. I know a number of Americans and Brits who fought in the war and while many of them are against the war they recognise that it is their job as soldiers to fight.

Perhaps if the members of the GAAW were to go to these war-torn countries and attempt to make a difference then your repeated protest wouldn't be so laughable. As it stands, the GAAW are seen by most as a group of unemployed wanna be artists who only protest on days when they don't have to collect their dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I am anti-imperialist. It just so happens that America and Britain are the most imperialist countries on earth.

Are you the GAAW Leader? na na na na na na Leader..........

E84303A70AD7443CB30A609C9ACFC52E-0000336624-0001878056-00407L-B6ECEF83760D4CD98DFEFDA702F54A83.jpg

Perhaps if the members of the GAAW were to go to these war-torn countries and attempt to make a difference then your repeated protest wouldn't be so laughable.

Im sure the Taleban would welcome them with open arms:pac:

I am anti-imperialist. It just so happens that America and Britain are the most imperialist countries on earth.

So you are Anti American/Anti Anglo because of their past, man your digging yourself a deep hole, tell me what other Nations do you protest against that Colonised as all i ever hear from the GAAW in media is America this and UK that, what about France?Spain?Portual?Netherlands?Russia?Belgium etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I am anti-imperialist.

Even these?

ct1.jpg

Look at Bertie Basset, the bastard, marching on to victory.

mikom wrote: »
    Even these?

ct1.jpg

Priceless post:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

So what do you stand for apart from free speech for murderers and war criminals? Do you care about the dead and wounded Iraqi civillians at all?

If you cared about them you wouldn't be outside Easons in Galway City. You would be over in Iraq offering aid.

Pull the other one, bub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Some of the posts here I found disgusting to be honest. Here's a group who are expressing their right to protest, they weren't treading on anyone's toes by doing this. They were raising awareness on giving a man who is in many people's opinion a war criminal. The Good Friday Agreement was a point raised but Blair had little influence really on it if you read many reports at the time and came across by many as there for the papers, also would you give the respect to Gerry Adams? doubtful. Also to point out, the one thing Tony Blair was instrumental was the two occupations in the middle east which account for the death of 130,000 civilian deaths.

So posters being cynical and calling this group every name under the sun for opposing a man who was instrumental to these 130,000 civilian murders, i'd love to hear what it would take for you to go out and protest because this is a completely legitimate and credible protest and i've a hell of alot of respect for people who get up of their arse and take part in this and demand change instead of those who wouldn't go up to them and discuss why they're there, only to go on an internet forum to give out about them.

Who am I going to respect?
    The person who calls people names on an internet forum and probably wouldn't dare say this to their face and is confident in their lack of political opinion
    Or the person who sees an injustice in the world, gets up off their arse to do something about it? Their protest certainly won't pressurize anyone politically but if others spent less time giving out about the group on an internet forum and spent more time being active in political change then the unthinkable might happen and you might get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The GAAW remind me of a scene from The Life Of Brian................He's over there..........

I can't understand why such a tiny group who are extremely select and boringly predictable in who they are against gets such a disproportionate amount of publicity in the local press.:confused:

mikom wrote: »
    Even these?

ct1.jpg

He's against those? Burn the blasphemer! Though I do have to say that these are nicer

c72.jpg

So you're against the person spreading the propaganda but not the propaganda itself? And what, pray tell, does my username say about me?

You do realise that by using insults like this, you are completely undermining your own cause. I am expecting a "so's your ma'" next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the point of the totalitarians is to intimidate people outside a bookstore from buying a book. A bookstore. A place of free speech.

The point is to stop free speech. You bet I would be be buying that book were I in Galway.

If you read a bit further up the thread, you'll find an eyewitness saying that people weren't prevented from entering the shop.

Also, a bookstore and FREE speech? Can't say I've ever seen anything free in Easons, or Dubrays or Charlie Byrnes or anywhere. You clearly don't have any inkling the sort of commercial deals/decisions which impact what books are published and which aren't.

PomBear wrote: »
    Some of the posts here I found disgusting to be honest. Here's a group who are expressing their right to protest, they weren't treading on anyone's toes by doing this. They were raising awareness on giving a man who is in many people's opinion a war criminal. The Good Friday Agreement was a point raised but Blair had little influence really on it if you read many reports at the time and came across by many as there for the papers, also would you give the respect to Gerry Adams? doubtful. Also to point out, the one thing Tony Blair was instrumental was the two occupations in the middle east which account for the death of 130,000 civilian deaths.

So posters being cynical and calling this group every name under the sun for opposing a man who was instrumental to these 130,000 civilian murders, i'd love to hear what it would take for you to go out and protest because this is a completely legitimate and credible protest and i've a hell of alot of respect for people who get up of their arse and take part in this and demand change instead of those who wouldn't go up to them and discuss why they're there, only to go on an internet forum to give out about them.

Who am I going to respect?
    The person who calls people names on an internet forum and probably wouldn't dare say this to their face and is confident in their lack of political opinion
    Or the person who sees an injustice in the world, gets up off their arse to do something about it? Their protest certainly won't pressurize anyone politically but if others spent less time giving out about the group on an internet forum and spent more time being active in political change then the unthinkable might happen and you might get it.

Good post. At least you made some valid points and didnt resort to throwing insults in a vain effort to get your point across. A few points though that maybe you could shed some light on:
    Here's a group who are expressing their right to protest, they weren't treading on anyone's toes by doing this.

They are well within their rights to protest, history shows that well organised protest can achieve great things, but surely the GAAW protest was far from well organised? For one thing why protest Easons in Galway? Go to the Dublin one where he's doing the actual signing and protest there. And if the GAAW have such an issue with Easons, why not just get people to sign a petition against them stocking the book and then hand it into Easons with several hundred signatures on it, instead of that shambles they put on outside the store. And as for not treading on anyone's toes, shoving a megaphone and pamphlets in people's faces as they go in to buy a paper/book is effective is it? And this isn't the first time they've done it either, clearly a lack of proper leadership/organisation on their part, which is something crucial to protest if I'm not mistaken.
    but Blair had little influence really on it

That is rubbish. The man had a massive influence on the Good Friday Agreement, and deserves credit for it, regardless of his actions in the occupation in Afghanistan/Iraq.
    So posters being cynical and calling this group every name under the sun for opposing a man who was instrumental to these 130,000 civilian murders, i'd love to hear what it would take for you to go out and protest because this is a completely legitimate and credible protest and i've a hell of alot of respect for people who get up of their arse and take part in this and demand change

I'm all for protest when it comes to certain issues, but if I wanted to join an anti war movement, it definitely wouldnt be the GAAW. They have proven time and time again to be a poorly organised, ineffective group who have achieved nothing except ruin any chance of the public taking them seriously.
    Or the person who sees an injustice in the world, gets up off their arse to do something about it? Their protest certainly won't pressurize anyone politically but if others spent less time giving out about the group on an internet forum and spent more time being active in political change

And why is that? Surely thats the whole point of being a protest group?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

The victors are never tried for war crimes, only the losers.
    Hahahahahaha!

And you are accusing others of propaganda?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

JustMary wrote: »
    If you read a bit further up the thread, you'll find an eyewitness saying that people weren't prevented from entering the shop.

Also, a bookstore and FREE speech? Can't say I've ever seen anything free in Easons, or Dubrays or Charlie Byrnes or anywhere. You clearly don't have any inkling the sort of commercial deals/decisions which impact what books are published and which aren't.

Galway Advertiser...

I've seen them carrying books by small time writers from around the area...book wasn't free but they were selling them. You think a guy can write a book in North Korea and just sell it openly without the fear of getting killed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

K_user wrote: »
    Hahahahahaha!

How is what he/she said "propaganda" ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Good post. At least you made some valid points and didnt resort to throwing insults in a vain effort to get your point across. A few points though that maybe you could shed some light on:

They are well within their rights to protest, history shows that well organised protest can achieve great things, but surely the GAAW protest was far from well organised? For one thing why protest Easons in Galway? Go to the Dublin one where he's doing the actual signing and protest there. And if the GAAW have such an issue with Easons, why not just get people to sign a petition against them stocking the book and then hand it into Easons with several hundred signatures on it, instead of that shambles they put on outside the store. And as for not treading on anyone's toes, shoving a megaphone and pamphlets in people's faces as they go in to buy a paper/book is effective is it? And this isn't the first time they've done it either, clearly a lack of proper leadership/organisation on their part, which is something crucial to protest if I'm not mistaken.

My guess would be simply because they live in Galway, not Dublin. They protest against the business, not a branch of the business. After I looked into it on their facebook they are actually protesting in Dublin when Tony Blair is there.
    As for the petition, petitions would usually get alot less attention than a public protest therefore alot less pressure on Easons.
    Ok, so you're saying they're harassing shoppers, talking through a megaphone is different to shoving it in people's faces, giving out leaflets isn't going to kill anyone, you don't have read or even accept the leaflet and no ones going to attack you for not taking it. I'm rather bemused by that description, there's definitely some underlying issue to mosts dislike of this group.
    That is rubbish. The man had a massive influence on the Good Friday Agreement, and deserves credit for it, regardless of his actions in the occupation in Afghanistan/Iraq.
    I'd give the guy credit where credits due ofcourse but I don't he was instrument to it. Also he cannot be forgiven for the Afghan/Iraqi occupation because of his part in the GFA
    I'm all for protest when it comes to certain issues, but if I wanted to join an anti war movement, it definitely wouldnt be the GAAW. They have proven time and time again to be a poorly organised, ineffective group who have achieved nothing except ruin any chance of the public taking them seriously.

I don't understand that as I haven't been following what they've been doing long, can you provide some examples?

And why is that? Surely thats the whole point of being a protest group?
    The best they can hope for in this protest is too pressure Eason's to fold on this event. Easons are a privately owned business interested in making money on this event and still will regardless of the protests. Unless a mass movement of people joins these protests, they won't be pressuring anyone politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

baalthor wrote: »
    How is what he/she said "propaganda" ? :confused:
    McDougal wrote:
    Who wants to ban the book? They are just protesting against a war criminal coming to Ireland to promote his propaganda

Ok, so you're saying they're harassing shoppers, talking through a megaphone is different to shoving it in people's faces, giving out leaflets isn't going to kill anyone, you don't have read or even accept the leaflet and no ones going to attack you for not taking it.

There's better ways of getting your point across than roaring into a megaphone at people who are a few feet away surely? If you're going into the shop and someone's blaring a megaphone while others are putting pamphlets in front of you it just looks and feels extremely aggressive. But that's just my opinion.

I don't understand that as I haven't been following what they've been doing long, can you provide some examples?

Their fairly recent spiel about the Galway airshow is a fine example. I cant find a copy of their statement ( If I can I'll stick it on here) but it was silly and poorly written. Came across as a bunch of killjoys.

[-0-] wrote: »
    If you cared about them you wouldn't be outside Easons in Galway City. You would be over in Iraq offering aid.

Pull the other one, bub.

So anyone who cares about dead Iraqis or Pakistanis must go to those countries and be aid workers otherwise they have hidden agendas? Fantastic logic there.

• Advertisement

K_user wrote: »
    Hahahahahaha!

You are only laughing at your own ignorance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement