Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build suggestions please

Options
  • 26-08-2010 5:13pm

Doing a build for a friend.
    This what i have so far, any ideas or suggestions would be great :)
    Cheap is the keyword!
    Just going to be used for web, office and other basic apps.

288vc5w.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Are you aware that that's a 2.5'' drive? You could save a little if you went with AMD.

For example something like,
    ASRock 890GM Pro3 + AMD Athlon II X3 435 would give you far superior graphical performance, USB 3, SATA 6Gbps and cheaper price. The i3 would probably do better in a few places, but you wouldn't notice the difference in an office computer. The X4 635 can be had for a similar price to your original choice. If you don't like the board, here's another option - http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=35848

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

VSK-2000 isn't a great case either :o There are plenty of cheaper or better options out there. That RAM is horribly expensive too - for €20 more you could double the amount :o

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Unfortunately the guy im building for has specified only intel. I know i know!
    Solitaire, cheers for the input, any cases that would be better for same price? also seing as cost is big factor is there any superior ram kits for same price?
    Cheers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

For the case, have a peek at the Thermaltake V3 or NZXT Gamma, better-ventilated cases for a little under that price and they don't look agonisingly bling either. The Gamma isn't as durable as the VSK but on top of the better ventilation and upgradeability (lots of 120/140mm fan mounts! ;)) it has some basic cable routing as well :) Or stick with the VSK, its a little tougher and while it has poor ventilation that's not a deal-breaker for an office machine :p

As for the RAM, you'll be paying upward of €70 for 4GB, but if you change the 2.5" HDD for a 3.5" Samsung F3 500GB you should have saved just enough money to go for a cheap 1333MHz 4GB kit ;)

• Advertisement

Nice one, think ive got it nailed after implementing those changes. If all components are in stock around how long for hardwareversand orders to arrive?

Just build the AMD system and put an intel sticker on it. He might be happier in the long run. :p

Most people seem to get their orders in about a week and a half from HWV, if all goes well. That's from the time they get their money, which could take a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Step 1: Go to Ebay

Step 2: Type in Dell refurbished

Step 3: Profit

Seriously.. can grab a core2duo jobby for 200 quid, will run all the officey apps fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

I know this is 4 days old, but maybe you didn't order yet, so for what it's worth: You selected the tray CPU version and are missing out on a CPU cooler. Get the boxed version, or a Hyper TX-3 instead (currently 12,83 eur).

I know this is 4 days old, but maybe you didn't order yet, so for what it's worth: You selected the tray CPU version and are missing out on a CPU cooler. Get the boxed version, or a Hyper TX-3 instead (currently 12,83 eur).

Cheers for the heads up but i am putting a phase change cooling system on it so wanted tray.

• Advertisement
Advertisement