Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow

Options
  • 26-08-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭

Can any of you recall snow falling in Ireland during the month of September?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Can't say i can recall snow ever falling that early tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Have a look here

http://www.napier.eclipse.co.uk/weather/bonacina.html

Snow fell on Dartmoor, Sept 20th 1919.

"1919 A month with great variation in weather, from a memorable hot spell to a memorable cold one, all
    within just over a week. It was another month with a maximum of 32.2C CET (at Raunds in Northants.
    again, on the 11th) The 11th is one of the latest dates in the twentieth century when 90F+ (32.2C) was attained. This was also the hottest day of the year. Nottingham reached 29.4C on the 11th but only 13.9 on the 12th following a shift in wind direction. There was even snow cover on low ground from northern England north and on higher ground in Wales and the southwest as well as high ground in the Midlands on the night of the 19-20th. The snow was 2" deep at Princetown in Dartmoor. Snow cover lasted on Snowdon for a week. This is probably the earliest snowfall date. The last week was cold and frosty. That is why 1919 gets my vote as the most interesting September for weather of the century."
    http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/british_weather_in_septemb.html

Not sure about Ireland but I vaguely remember something about September snow in the Annals - I'll have a look tomorrow for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

why ? are you expecting it to snow or hoping

i would love it to snow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 topriceie

looking at two previous winters you can expect more snow this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

snow fell in uk in summer once during a CRICKET MATCH. Saw on telly last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

According to The Times, 22nd September 1919 there was snowfall in Ireland on September 19th

0fec45f6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

snow fell in uk in summer once during a CRICKET MATCH. Saw on telly last week.

that was an April match.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

glossy wrote: »
    why ? are you expecting it to snow or hoping

i would love it to snow :D

hoping:pac:

Thank a lot for that article Fionagus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

My Aunt says she remembers lying snow on the Dublin Mtns around July 1978.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Snow in Ireland....................never:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Snow in Ireland....................never:P

a long time ago, when i was a young lad back in 2010, there was a mighty hard frost that froze for 4 weeks . . .:P

You thinking of ken rings predictions???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Yes, Ken has promised us snow for September this year.

You thinking of ken rings predictions???

No. I was not aware he made such a prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

There was snow in Greece in June a few years back. :D

No. I was not aware he made such a prediction.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055938206&highlight=ring

Its somewhere in that thread . . .He didnt actually predict snow, what i think he said was:

Precipitation with sub zero temperatures, leading to snow/hail/sleet/freezing rain around the 20th of the month. He also siad it would only be in 3 counties, which i think were in the midlands, possibly cavan, westmeath and one other??? cant fully rememeber . ..

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

can we have the bit of sun first before ye start talking about snow and praying for rain:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Danno wrote: »
    My Aunt says she remembers lying snow on the Dublin Mtns around July 1978.

strange that considering the country's love affair with cocaine really didn't kick in until the late 90s:P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055938206&highlight=ring

Its somewhere in that thread . . .He didnt actually predict snow, what i think he said was:

Precipitation with sub zero temperatures, leading to snow/hail/sleet/freezing rain around the 20th of the month. He also siad it would only be in 3 counties, which i think were in the midlands, possibly cavan, westmeath and one other??? cant fully rememeber . ..

Ken ring:
    I said there was a potential for snow because of subzero temperatures combined with precipitation. There is equally the same potential for hail, frost, sleet, or just cold rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Ken ring:
    september 20th it is so.

10092012_2500.gif
    10092012_2500.gif
    the cfs or any model this far out is only for entertainment

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    september 20th it is so.

10092012_2500.gif
    10092012_2500.gif
    the cfs or any model this far out is only for entertainment

I cant remember the date he actually said, it was something around that time of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Nacho, your lust for snow is insatiable! :eek:

Let's hope we will have plenty of this this coming winter (or this coming September! ;))

and this:

and a whole lot of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

That second clip is unreal. I always associate snowfall with an eerie silence as it falls but it sounds like its pouring rain!

Yes, I remember that day (not the cricket), bloody freezing!

Nacho, your lust for snow is insatiable! :eek:

Let's hope we will have plenty of this this coming winter (or this coming September! ;))

and this:

and a whole lot of this:

haha yes it's true:pac:

great videos. i've never experienced thunder snow, so it would be brilliant if we got some thunder snow this Winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Did someone say snow ?

Thats awakened me from my lurking in the background :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Well now in all fairness, ken ring is always predicting snow for ireland in may and june when on today fm , he must think we are all stupid , you would think luck would mean his predictions would be right atleast 50% of the time. Unfortunately not , he is very rarely right on any of his predictions.

Maybe he doesnt realise that summer time here is may-june-july not nov-feb-jan like in new zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

haha yes it's true:pac:

great videos. i've never experienced thunder snow, so it would be brilliant if we got some thunder snow this Winter!

We got a good bit of thundersnow here on the 2nd of feb 2009 , the way the snow reflects the lightning, tis brialliant alltogether!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Well now in all fairness, ken ring is always predicting snow for ireland in may and june when on today fm , he must think we are all stupid , you would think luck would mean his predictions would be right atleast 50% of the time. Unfortunately not , he is very rarely right on any of his predictions.

Maybe he doesnt realise that summer time here is may-june-july not nov-feb-jan like in new zealand.

Really:confused: OwenC, is that you?:rolleyes:

Advertisement