Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ultimate pastry brush?

Options
  • 26-08-2010 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, apologies if it's not.

I'm looking for recommendations for a really good pastry brush. I've been looking for a decent one for a while. The ones I buy never seem up to much.
    Recently I bought one in Avoca - it has a brushed aluminium handle and silicone bristles. I couldn't understand afterwards why it was useless at it's job - turns out it's a basting brush... d'oh ;)

Anyone got one they think is fantastic?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Kitchen Complements do grey/white bristled ones with red handles, they're quite good. Silicone pastry brushes are useless, the "bristles" are too loose and just flop about the place.

But for the best and cheapest option, use regular white-bristled paintbrushes from the hardware shop. Pastry chefs use these and other bits (scrapers, combs) not for their intended purposes, but they do the job and are cheaper than the same or similar things marketed as kitchen utensils.

And if you're ever brushing phyllo/brick pastry with butter, nothing beats a goose feather, as is used in central europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Just get a good paint brush if you do cheaper ones loose the hair every time you paint bleah.

Goose feather ones sounds interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 inthegateaux

Meadows and Burne,they have a fabulous silicon one. I love it as it washes easily leaving no residue and its only about 6 euro and mine is bright pink but they have loads of nice bright colours :D

Advertisement