Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Hip-Hop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Not all rap is Urban, not even in America.

"You don't be getting crunk like everyone else man, you from Carolina"

I swear some people just won't listen to anything outside of the Bronx, or America, or sometimes England or France but never Ireland for some odd reason.
    because the majority is shyt, people who like ihh are like atheists, always trying to convince the world their right.
    admittedly there will be some good stuff here and there but if the majority is awful people will tend to ignore it as a whole.
    thats life, people ignore things that are not good, when it starts to improve people will take notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    because the majority is shyt, people who like ihh are like atheists, always trying to convince the world their right.
    admittedly there will be some good stuff here and there but if the majority is awful people will tend to ignore it as a whole.
    thats life, people ignore things that are not good, when it starts to improve people will take notice.

The majority of US Hip-hop is bad too.

The majority of US Hip-hop is bad too.
    maybe your right, its not a competition, my point being, if ihh as a whole was better people would give it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

maybe your right, its not a competition, my point being, if ihh as a whole was better people would give it a chance.

And that is definitely starting to happen at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Jumping in totally out of nowhere here, but just wondering if you've listened to lethal dialect's new album yet? I'm not a massive fan of Irish Hip Hop either, I'm just a fan of Hip Hop. And LD50 2 is a seriously good album, and lethal dialect is an excellent rapper, technically better than a huge amount of successful american rappers in recent years.

• Advertisement

The difference is because Ireland is smaller and the media only hypes up the bad ones or the comedy acts what people perceive to be the best we have to offer is nowhere near the actually best talent in the country.

Because we are small any idiot can post online claiming to be a rapper and people take them as representative of the whole which would never happen in America or most other places.

The difference is because Ireland is smaller and the media only hypes up the bad ones or the comedy acts what people perceive to be the best we have to offer is nowhere near the actually best talent in the country.

Because we are small any idiot can post online claiming to be a rapper and people take them as representative of the whole which would never happen in America or most other places.
    I cant disagree with that, but by the same token people are not completely stupid either, you have to give people some credit as well.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Jumping in totally out of nowhere here, but just wondering if you've listened to lethal dialect's new album yet? I'm not a massive fan of Irish Hip Hop either, I'm just a fan of Hip Hop. And LD50 2 is a seriously good album, and lethal dialect is an excellent rapper, technically better than a huge amount of successful american rappers in recent years.
    Ye and it sounds like the rest, same flow, same beats, apart from it not being that good it sounds too similar.
    I was watching one of those dfi YouTube videos recently, funnily enough lethal dialect was one of the guys, during the intro a clip of each guys songs are played, both songs sounded like the same song, same sounding beat and flow.
    It's like everyone is influenced by the same rappers.

I have lost track of the amount of times I have heard two rappers sound alike, it is not unique to IHH or even music. It happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

To be honest your man who does Lethal Dialects beats doesn't sound like anybody else. It's kind of based off 90's classic boom bap but he takes it in a very hazy cloud rap sort of trip. Nobody else doing that kind of thing. SertOne has his own take as well. Most Irish rappers use **** production but there are some very competent Irish producers.

• Advertisement

To be honest your man who does Lethal Dialects beats doesn't sound like anybody else. It's kind of based off 90's classic boom bap but he takes it in a very hazy cloud rap sort of trip. Nobody else doing that kind of thing. SertOne has his own take as well. Most Irish rappers use **** production but there are some very competent Irish producers.
    Most of the beats I've heard mate sound very 90's to me, the flows sounds 90's as well.
    Like I said, to me it sounds like a lot are influenced by the same rappers.

I have lost track of the amount of times I have heard two rappers sound alike, it is not unique to IHH or even music. It happens.
    But it's not two rappers conor its the majority, its almost like you agree with me but are excusing it.
    You can't keep countering an argument by saying it happens else where.

But it's not two rappers conor its the majority, its almost like you agree with me but are excusing it.
    You can't keep countering an argument by saying it happens else where.

I can and I am.

It happens in all music, even Hip-hop. It is not the majority, it might be the majority you heard but then again when you try to tell Nugget to stop talking about guns it is not as if you give it much of a listen either way.

Imagine some hip-hop being influenced by the 90's, you would not get that craic in America anyway never.

I can and I am.
    In one sentence you've made a mockery of the whole point your trying to make.

Your comparing an industry as huge as the American market to the Irish market.
    Your saying that everyone in the tiny Irish market sounding alike is pretty much the same as a few artists in the huge American market sounding alike.

You feel it's fine, I feel that because the Irish market is so small people should try and be individual.

They do not all sound alike, I never said they all sound alike you did and you are wrong on that.

They do not all sound alike, I never said they all sound alike you did and you are wrong on that.
    Your not agreeing with me?
    It seemed you were by what you've be saying.

The majority of ihh sounds alike, of course it does, it's not original.
    we've done this before Conor, why are you beating a dead horse, your arguing black is not black.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Your not agreeing with me?
    It seemed you were by what you've be saying.

we've done this before Conor, why are you beating a dead horse, your arguing black is not black.

You say the majority sounds alike....just curious, who are the exceptions?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You say the majority sounds alike....just curious, who are the exceptions?
    Why do you think I've never listened to ihh?

You have shown on at least two occasions that you clearly have not listened to a lot of it.]

You do not accept the fact that they talk about particularly Irish things and in an Irish way yet they all sound like they are influenced by American rappers somehow more so than any other rapper?

You have shown on at least two occasions that you clearly have not listened to a lot of it.]

You do not accept the fact that they talk about particularly Irish things and in an Irish way yet they all sound like they are influenced by American rappers somehow more so than any other rapper?
    Sorry conor, you come to your own conclusions, I for a fact have never denied ihh artists talk about anything but Irish things.
    I have said certain ones rapped about guns and stuff, but that was in a thread where many people were saying the same thing.
    Your problem is you will not accept anyone's opinion, the over riding opinion on here is ihh is not good, but according to you those who say so have only ever listened to maybe one ihh song.
    You act like there's a huge array of brilliant Irish rappers, there's not, you need to deal with that, it's mainly shyt, it could improve, but at this moment it's mainly shyt.

• Advertisement

I do not have a problem with you not liking it or even thinking it is not good.

I have a problem with you making blanket statements about the majority of it sounding like 90s or American rap, when that is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

Enough with the bitching... Let's use this thread to promote Irish artists and tunes.

Lethal Dialect is giving away his first album LD50:
    http://lethaldialect.bandcamp.com/album/ld50

Decent album and some serious beats by G.I. and Johnnyboy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Why do you think I've never listened to ihh?

I'm just trying to get a feel for who you like in IHH. You made a statement indicating that there are some that you do like, just curious who they are?

I'm in agreement that there is some similar sounding IHH people out there, but there are plenty of exceptions for this.

I'm just trying to get a feel for who you like in IHH. You made a statement indicating that there are some that you do like, just curious who they are?

I'm in agreement that there is some similar sounding IHH people out there, but there are plenty of exceptions for this.
    Did I say there was some I like, or some that are actually quite good?
    I've never stated I'm as up to date as the likes of yourself, but from what I've heard an awful lot do sound similar to each other.

I do not have a problem with you not liking it or even thinking it is not good.

I have a problem with you making blanket statements about the majority of it sounding like 90s or American rap, when that is not true.
    Conor I mentioned the thing about 90s beats yesterday, we've been having this discussion for much longer than that.
    Your problem is with opinion, and the fact that if someone makes a statement you disagree with you assume they are bull shytting and havnt listened to what it is they are talking about.

Ihh is not original, you've countered that by saying neither is American hip hop, you can't even disagree with me, but you will still argue the case because you assume I'm bull shytting.

Did I say there was some I like, or some that are actually quite good?
    I've never stated I'm as up to date as the likes of yourself, but from what I've heard an awful lot do sound similar to each other.

You said:

That to me would give the impression that there is some that doesn't sound alike, just wondering who that was.

You said:

That to me would give the impression that there is some that doesn't sound alike, just wondering who that was.

Lecs and some randomer from Sligo (no offence to that guy)

You said:

You asked which are the ones that don't sound alike, I asked you why you feel I'm bull shytting.
    you answered saying you only wanted to know who I like, as i had stated there was some I like.
    I answered that I wasn't sure if I said I liked anyone, to which you have replied stating I have given the impression that there are some that don't sound alike, your all over the place.
    :confused::confused:

* Insert funny pot kettle black picture here *

• Advertisement

* Insert funny pot kettle black picture here *
    Explain?

Considering I've said the same thing from the beginning.

Advertisement