Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed about dog we found

Options
  • 26-08-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi folks,

My sister found this Pom today on the main road between Kilcock and Enfield. His coat is in a pretty bad state, he had a really old leather collar under all that matted fur. I brought him to the vet in kilcock and they scanned for a microchip but no luck. The vet said he is very old, male and not neutered.
    I took him back to my house and at the moment he's out the back in the conservatory sunning himself. I gave him a quick wash but only got half of the dirt off i'd say.

Anyway, i'm gonna try my best to get him reunited with his owner, but what should I do in the meantime????

We have a 6month old female boxer (full vaccinations, wormed & flea-d regulary). I actually wouldn't mind looking after this little fella for the moment but would like some advise on how this could affect my own pup...?

Here's a pic:
    IMG_4415.jpg

and some more here: http://s406.photobucket.com/albums/pp141/Tsporter_photos/

Edit:- If anyone could please link this thread to other lost/found sites that would be great, i'm busy making posters...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

He looks adorable! Fair play to you for taking the take to look after him.

I suppose you could contact rescue centres to see if anyone has put up a lost advert & maybe try a few local vets too. If you could e-mail a lost poster to a few veterinary practises & ask them to forward the e-mail on to clients & other vets it wouldn't cost you too much & would be seen by a lot more people. You never know it might reunite the dog with his owner.

However there is a strong possibilty that he has been dumped so you need to start thinking what you're going to do with him longterm.

Once your own pup is getting the same attention it shouldn't really affect her that much. He could be great company for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

easyeason3 wrote: »
    He looks adorable! Fair play to you for taking the take to look after him.

I suppose you could contact rescue centres to see if anyone has put up a lost advert & maybe try a few local vets too. If you could e-mail a lost poster to a few veterinary practises & ask them to forward the e-mail on to clients & other vets it wouldn't cost you too much & would be seen by a lot more people. You never know it might reunite the dog with his owner.

However there is a strong possibilty that he has been dumped so you need to start thinking what you're going to do with him longterm.

Once your own pup is getting the same attention it shouldn't really affect her that much. He could be great company for her.
    `
    Thanks, i'm gonna get onto that in the hope he's reunited soon. However, if I don't find the owner I have to think about what i'm gonna do with him. Herself adores him already, but I have to think of the vet bills, getting him neutered(asap if he stays) and badly needs grooming, these are big expenses if the owner comes along the next day and I reunite them....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

deadlast wrote: »
    `
    Thanks, i'm gonna get onto that in the hope he's reunited soon. However, if I don't find the owner I have to think about what i'm gonna do with him. Herself adores him already, but I have to think of the vet bills, getting him neutered(asap if he stays) and badly needs grooming, these are big expenses if the owner comes along the next day and I reunite them....??

Yeah it's certainly not cheap looking after dogs.
    What is he like? Is he quite like a lap dog? Does he like kids? How does he get on with your Boxer pup?

Try to find out as much as you can about his personality, likes & dislikes. If it's a case that no one comes forward to claim him then at least you have an idea of what environment he would be suitable in if you decide to rehome him.

Although looking at his cute little face I'd say it will be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I know it's not impossible but because he's chipped someone must of cared enough about him at some point. Some rescues also microchip dogs before they rehome as well so it might lead back to a rescue.

Poor little guy, he's lucky you took him in.

If he can't get to the groomers you might be able to cut some of the bad mats out. I wouldn't worry about how he would look he'd feel more comfortable and the hair will grow back.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

if ya can get him down to me il sort his coat out
    he was probably dumped shame he has no chip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I know it's not impossible but because he's chipped someone must of cared enough about him at some point. Some rescues also microchip dogs before they rehome as well so it might lead back to a rescue.

Poor little guy, he's lucky you took him in.

If he can't get to the groomers you might be able to cut some of the bad mats out. I wouldn't worry about how he would look he'd feel more comfortable and the hair will grow back.

Hes not microchipped though...

I would try contacting all the rescues and dog forums and put up some posters in the area and contact all the local vets and garda stations to say you have found him.
    A lot of the time the local vets will be aware of any dogs that are gone missing in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Hi if this little chap needs a home can you pm me :)You may remember speaking to a lady from a rescue and the phone and got cut off?She hasnt got you number her phone only holds a few numbers:)Can you ring her again xxx

pokertalk wrote: »
    if ya can get him down to me il sort his coat out

he was probably dumped shame he has no chip

Thanks for the offer, PM'd :-)

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Yeah it's certainly not cheap looking after dogs.
    What is he like? Is he quite like a lap dog? Does he like kids? How does he get on with your Boxer pup?

Try to find out as much as you can about his personality, likes & dislikes. If it's a case that no one comes forward to claim him then at least you have an idea of what environment he would be suitable in if you decide to rehome him.

Although looking at his cute little face I'd say it will be hard.

He's great with us, just follows us around and tries to lick our hands if we go near him, and loves the belly being rubbed. He doesnt like our boxer, she's too playful and won't leave him alone. He's barking and nipping but not really going for her, just a "leave me alone" type of thing.

Oh and he pee'd on the kitchen floor last night quickly followed by our boxer...she hasnt gone in the house in 4 months! :confused:

Advertisement