Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying tuition fees from level 7 to level 8? Confused!

Options
  • 26-08-2010 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm having problems with my 4th year regristration (level 8), they sent me an invoice billing me for regristration AND tuition fees.

I completed and passed a 3 year (level 7) diploma a few years back and understood perfectly that I would have to pay tuition fees for the first 3 years of my new 4 year degree because it was seen as the equivilant of a level 7 diploma until year 3 whereas year 4 was considered a progression to level 8, but the college have billed me for it anyway and I can't get through to them for love nor money.

I called citizens information and they agreed that the first 3 years of a level 8 course is often considered to be the equivilant of a level 7 of which I previously did but my final year should be viewed as a progression to level 8 and that I should NOT have to pay tuition fees.

I have recently heard of people progressing from level 7's to level 8's (starting over in 1st year) without having to pay fees atall!? I didn't leave a 5 year gap but I didn't fail anything in my first diploma either, might I have been eligable all along and can I appeal for the tuition fees I've paid up to now?! Who do I appeal to? eeek :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think citizens information are correct -

why did you pay tuition fees ever? Is it a private college? Do you mean you paid registration fees?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fionadowling85

I paid tuition fees and regristration fees for the first 3 years of my current 4 year degree, I assume that the college feel that the first 3 years of my current course is the equivilant to a level 7 degree of which I had already availed of on a previous course, this means that I am not eligible for free fees a second time around, or so I have been led to believe, even though my current course is in fact a level 8 degree. I was made aware (though I can't remember the exact details) that after third year, as I finally progress into level 8 (even though the whole 4 years is labelled a level 8 course), I am entitled to my fourth year free of fees and citizen's information confirmed this for me today. So my question is why have I been billed for fourth year tuition fees? And should I have been paying tuition fees up to now?

It is an I.T. listed on under HEA so it isn't private as far as I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

well if you availed of free fees before then yes you should have paid tuition fees for your second course - however I think you are probably correct that you should be getting free fees for year 4

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fionadowling85

Well I'm going to follow it up as much as I can anyway, will be calling the dept. of education first tthing in the morning...cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

One of my friends did a level 8 course and received a grant and left in first year. He was told that he would not receive another grant until second year, unless he was switching to a first year level 7 course.

If it works when your dropping from a level 8 to a level 7, then I don't see why it shouldn't work when your progressing from a level 7 to a level 8. Maybe it's because he only received a grant for the first year and did not receive maintenance for the whole course? It wouldn't seem fair though that someone like you who finished your whole course was not allowed be entitled to the same benefit.

Defnitely check it out though, and good luck!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement