Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Successful Online Business

• 26-08-2010 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

just a chit chat about what makes "Successful Online Business " any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

Well the secret is to have a cost price of €X, and a sales price of €X+Y , where Y is your level of profit you wish to attain.

Seriously I know it's Friday, but this is a pretty inane topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Pablo wrote: »
    Well the secret is to have a cost price of €X, and a sales price of €X+Y , where Y is your level of profit you wish to attain.

Pretty much covers it

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Pablo wrote: »

So if your number 19,000 on Google you'll be successfull will you?
    Pretty inane answer if you ask me and Im surprised at Mr Blacknight supporting it.
    A lot more to online business than that.

Focus on SEO.
    Well designed site.
    Good quality content and lots of it.
    Secure payment offering.
    Good and speedy customer service.
    Engagement through social media, for PR, WOM, service, relationship building, CRM etc.

Of course what Pablo said is true for any business, but I think the OP probably knows that.
    Im sure there's lots more opinions on this, rather than the first two.

Edit: Haha just clicked through the first respondent's sig, and he's a supposed internet marketer too! Come on Pablo, gis a bit more of your knowledge than that mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vinnypc1

I am also very interested in online marketing but lack the 'know how." There are a few online clubs which provide coaching to their members as to how to set up a successful online business. I have recently come across this article which talks about a very good online coaching club. It seems to be very respected among the community. You can find the article with the link to the club's webpage at: http://ezinearticles.com/?The-TRUTH-About-Making-Money-Online---How-You-Can-Make-100K-Per-Month!&id=4837227

I'm really considering trying it out since it's risk free so there is really nothing to lose. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

I See Pablo's point but thats just standard business basic I'd suppose.

TBH
    I am also surprised with BK commenting that it "Pretty much covers it" As IMHO they are experts in their field with great support to back it all up so ye surely know alot more than costs over sales = win or lose. C'mon guys share the wealth.
    (OP 1 of my suggestions would be get a great hosting company. I would actually suggest Blacknight.ie (I find them great))

I believe wixfjord is hitting more on the content you need to be following although I could be completely wrong as I am a car mechanic with 0 training within the web industry. (I read online and implement on my site as I go):o

I too would love for people to generously donate some of their "special tricks" within the web marketing as I am finding it impossible to get a large audience base onto my website even though I believe I am following Wixfjord's suggestions as below.

Focus on SEO. Trying my best but its not enough (I really need help on this)

Well designed site. Opinions on my Free Classfieds Site would be very welcome (I believe I have done well) but again I have 0 training so who am I to judge.

Good quality content and lots of it. I have inported ads via oodle to hopefully get my site started, Not sure if is working thought. :(

Secure payment offering. My site offers free classifieds so I dont handle Payments
    (I have just placed some adsense around )

Good and speedy customer service. I respond to all emails as soon as I see them.
    Engagement through social media, for PR, WOM, service, relationship building, CRM etc. My classifieds FaceBook Page

Anyone want to help guide me as to what I may be doing right / wrong and where I can start to hopefully get my site going plese feel free to give your input

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

tombull82 wrote: »
    TBH
    I am also surprised with BK commenting that it "Pretty much covers it" As IMHO they are experts in their field with great support to back it all up so ye surely know alot more than costs over sales = win or lose. C'mon guys share the wealth.
    (OP 1 of my suggestions would be get a great hosting company. I would actually suggest Blacknight.ie (I find them great))

Tom

Tom

I'm more than happy to share information and reply to questions IF they are focussed.
    "What makes a successful business" is far too vague and open a question to actually answer while retaining your sanity.

Regards

Michele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gutterman

I agree with michelle.
    The question may as well be "how long is a piece of string"
    The answer to the first question.. hard work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

tombull82 wrote: »
    Anyone want to help guide me as to what I may be doing right / wrong and where I can start to hopefully get my site going plese feel free to give your input
    I might suggest tossing up your request in a separate thread (probably under website review or possibly in the Internet Marketing/SEO section, depending on what you're hoping to achieve), to get a more targeted response, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback (I'll certainly toss you my two cents).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bodger

Hey Guys,

I think that the ability to attain traffic is very important and also greatest challenge.
    It would be naive to expect that because you have an excellent design and an excellent service that your site will be successful.

Regardless of you product or service there is a potential market somewhere in the world but how do you tap into it?

I think that an ability to sell like you mean it is key.

It would certainley help if you are a skilled self promoter with a large and diverse social network in which to seed you marketing campaign.

Isn't it true that some businesses get by and even thrive without providing an outstanding service, high quality or low prices because they are proficient marketers.

What do you think and how does someone shamelessly self promote online.

I suppose its done like this: I have a blog, check it out www.blackrath.com.

Seriously though this topic has a value because although marketing is a simple science it is difficult to do on an operational level.

Regards

Shane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

bodger wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I think that an ability to sell like you mean it is key.

What do you mean, by you mean it?
    It would certainley help if you are a skilled self promoter with a large and diverse social network in which to seed you marketing campaign.

People are very wise to this these days. Friends do not like to be spammed. There was a time long time ago it was tolerated, not now.
    What do you think and how does someone shamelessly self promote online.

www.blackrath.com.

A tosser. Well you did ask.

Marketing in itself isn't good enough in itself. Your target market may be a handful of people. Why aggravate everyone else through spamming. Why waste your energies when you could just limit your marketing to your market.

No one likes a shameless self-promoter.

And if you can't monetize it, it won't make money.

I know a website/blogsite that gets traffic of around a million hits a month. The people running it are not able to monetize the traffic. They can't even make a wage out of it. They're supporting themselves through providing web design and content management services on the side. They're a little thick - the site screams goldmine but they don't now how to make money from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bodger

Hi,
    My post wasn't about blogging for profit it was a general reply to question about online businesses.

I wasn't advocating spamming. I follow several businesses on twitter. They promote their businesses but many of their tweets are informative and entertaining. I subscribe to their info by choice.

Self promotion is not simple about posting a url on a site that was a poor attempt at humour.

A sophisticated example of self promotion online (shameless or otherwize) can be seen at davykestens.be Davy uses a blog, dribble account and other means to demonstrate his abilities. He isn't shy about his self promotion - an he shouldn't be.

When I say that you should market like you mean it I am suggesting that if you believe in your product or service you should be confident enough to fully in the marketing process. Many companies make a half hearted attempt at this.

I think that the previous poster has a valid opinion, I am not an expert in this field but my opinions are equally valid.

My opinions have been informed by Seth Godins many books. I would recommend his stuff to anyone with a passing interest in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 KroITsolutions

Your website is your shopfront. It has to look good to entice people to trust you. The shop has to be ergonomic, and it has to be a nice place to be. Having a good website is basically you putting your best foot forward, be it as an online business or otherwise.

That said, there's no point in having a wonderful shop full of lots of nice things if it's stuck down a boreen or a back alley where nobody goes. If your website can't be found, you may as well not have it. Choosing a good URL (or several) is your first step. You have to not only make it interesting to customers though, but interesting to Google and other search engines too. SEO is a lot more dynamic nowadays than just having good meta-tags in your sites code. Search engines look for keywords within the main body text of the website (which is one reason why it's a lot harder to get a flash site up towards the top of search results), and they look for dynamic content. And they love blogs! Get a blog, but don't spout any old rubbish in it. Make it relevant, interesting, engaging, and do not plagerise. Get your blog out there too, on facebook, twitter, other blogging sites and really anywhere you can.

Promoting an online business is a full time job in itself in many ways. Done correctly, you'll have people coming your way. Done incorrectly, it will be a spectacular waste of time and effort. There is of course much more to it than that but that's my 2 cents worth for now.

And no, I don't think this topic was inane. Just look at the size of the golden pages this year. A lot smaller! I reckon this is because a: There are fewer businesses on the go this year, b: the advertising budget has been cut for the remaining ones, and c: it's becoming a largely obsolete form of media, being surpassed grossly by online marketing.

Ross

Advertisement