Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card interest / rates question

Options
  • 26-08-2010 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

can someone help me out with this please?

the apr on credit card 1 is 11.4% apr.
    the annual interest rate is 9.11% for purchases and 19.68% for cash.
    it notes that these are variable rates.

the monthly rate on credit card 2 purchases is 1.4%.
    the monthly rate for cash is 1.64%.

so, does this mean that the rate for purchases on card 1 is 9.11% and on card 2 it's 16.8%? does this mean that if the balance is not cleared in full then card 1 is the better option?

thanks for the help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭eagle_i

Random you need to go back to cc2, by law they must quote the APR. That is the only way you or anyone else can look at the costs on a like for like basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

cc1 is a click visa card and cc2 is a be mastercard. both with aib. i've looked at my statements on the be one (cc2) and can't see apr. i'm considering a switch to the click (cc1) as it seems much cheaper in terms of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭eagle_i

Contact AIB regarding the mastercard (cc2) and ask them for the APR, by law they must clearly show the APR!

can't do anything with the rates above then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Random wrote: »

so, does this mean that the rate for purchases on card 1 is 9.11% and on card 2 it's 16.8%? does this mean that if the balance is not cleared in full then card 1 is the better option?

thanks for the help.

The purchases rate on card 1 looks alot better than card 2, as you have pointed out.
    Need to watch out for Interest free days though.
    Some low interest cards will start charging interest on purchases alot quicker.
    If you're not buying anything, and just talking in terms of paying off an outstanding balance, then CC1 looks the best.

• Advertisement

so assuming there's no purchases and it's just a matter of paying off o/s balance then the lower the apr the better?

Advertisement