Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What the culchiest thing you have seen culchie people do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

johnayo wrote: »
    I saw a team of culchies beat the Dubs in Croke Park last sunday.

Isn't that an annual thing :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

When Tipp were playing Clare in some munster final or something like that in Pairc ui chaoimh few years back, in town before the game saw a tipp family fill their bottles of water with water from a fountain. I wouldnt put my hand into the water never mind drink it.

Then again when were all outside of Ireland were all culchies so all this is very invalid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Here's some pictures of non-culchies in action

Mullingar? tullamore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭BeeJazizWafuls

Chicken Sangich.

Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

pawrick wrote: »

all that said - there's little difference between a dub and a culchie when you take us out of ireland - we're all just very Irish...?!
    CHealy wrote: »

Then again when were all outside of Ireland were all culchies so all this is very invalid.

isn't it weird too, how that when you spend anytime in another country and you run into an irish person, they just sound "irish" be they from dublin, donegal or mayo, you can't tell where though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Sizzler wrote: »
    Some rellies up on a visit to the big schmoke I was asked afterwards to drive them to the main bogger road out of the city, so took them to out past Heuston and told them Id beep and give them a wave when they were on the main road out of the city.

Beeped and waved as agreed and headed for home. Got home 20 mins later and who do I see in my rear view mirror.........you guessed it :D:o

Huh? This I don't understand at all. They asked you to just drop them on the side of the road? For what?

Don't get the second paragraph AT ALL? What ARE you saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Huh? This I don't understand at all. They asked you to just drop them on the side of the road? For what?

The poster and the relations were in two different cars. One following the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

The relatives followed back towards Dublin, despite the waving and beeping.

Fattes wrote: »
    Think that they feed people in dublin when 90% of the fruit and Veg consumed in Dublin is grown in North County Dubiln:D

1 Beat Dublin at GAA

I somehow doubt that oranges, bananas, lemons, mandarins, limes, grapes, pineapples, and peaches are grown in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...banging on about how great that shit-kip town cork is.

think i mentioned this before.

Seen some chap in clifden sitting in a spar, wearing a cheap tracksuit, drinking Guinness from the can at about 11.30 am.

Are there seating areas in spars now or was this guy working in the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Sandals with socks

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Final plans are being put in place for the biggest ever Knockbridge Vintage Day.

The annual day is fast approaching and local people are busy getting ready for what promises to be its biggest day yet.

The list of highlights on the day is endless and indeed all ages will be catered for.

As usual, there will be an extensive display of vintage tractors and cars in the field as well as vintage threshing and a working area for all the machinery enthusiasts.

Throughout the day, numerous demonstrations taking place such as cookery, flower arranging, art and crafts and much more.

There will also be live entertainment provided by local talented musicians and singers with all musical tastes catered for.

Following its tremendous success last year, the popular sheep racing event will be one of the many attractions on the day.

Another exciting event making a return again this year is the dog show and with lots of fantastic prizes up for grabs so be sure to bring your furry friend along.

A spokesperson for the event said: "There are several exciting novel attractions this year, one being a 'Tug-of-War' competition between the local men. Children will be catered for in the fun corner with amusements including bouncing castles, slides, face painting, nail art and many more."

Delicious freshly cooked food and home baking will be served on the day and a charity raffle will be held, the top prize being a Massey Ferguson 135.

(Dundalk Democrat)

Cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

After making a deal, they spit on their hand and expect you to shake it.

How unhygenic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Leave welly-wearing North Co. Dublin out of this.

They're some Good Ole Boys up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Sandals with socks

That's not a country or a city thing- that's a "people who dress in the dark" sort of thing. ;)

Il Trap wrote: »

A spokesperson for the event said: "There are several exciting novel attractions this year, one being a 'Tug-of-War' competition between the local men.

Cringe

What's wrong with a Tug of War? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gravityisalie

Kersmash wrote: »
    Butter biscuits.

YUM :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

Let's differentiate between people who grow up in the countryside and live in the countryside and brass necked , ignorant , inbred , close minded freaks. I am from the wilds myself but have a serious gripe with the behaviour of some culchies. Drumcondra on match days anyone?.

Here are some of the culchiest things I have seen done by these afformentioned ignoramuses on a regular basis.

Talk out the side of their mouths to avoid anybody hearing them express an actual opinion ( A time honoured culchie tradition ).

Completely avoid giving an answer to a question by smirking and gurning and turning the question back on you.

Stay silent in a conversation wait for you to say something and then mock you.

Buy houses in Dublin divide them up and rent small crappy flats out for €600 pm.

A cock fight involving several men moving hay from one place to another.

That's NOT a cock fight. Don't try dupe me again rural Ireland!

A cock fight involving several men moving hay from one place to another.

That's NOT a cock fight. Don't try dupe me again rural Ireland!

Were they moving the hay with their coc... On second thoughts, I don't wanna know! :D

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Here's some pictures of non-culchies in action

"londonclasswar"??

You muckman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

"londonclasswar"??

You muckman

Nr.4 is particularly lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Keep a pair of binocs in the kitchen - "Is that McCarthy - who does he have in the passenger seat? Begob, it's that Dub wan from up the bog!"

Know all about every neighbour's sexual transgressions - when the local gardener can't get work, it's not because he's 'nimble-fingered' (= steals every tool that's not nailed down, as well as expensive shrubs), but because he screws the daughters of the quality.

Also know everything about everyone's seed, breed and generation for six generations back. "You see, at the time of the murders in the Phoenix Park, his great-great-grandmother was a second cousin of Skin-the-Goat, and..."

When a neighbour is away and the rain comes pouring in through the conservatory, gather the neighbourhood with all their buckets, and come over and let themselves in and clean the wet place, launder anything that's damaged, put buckets underneath, and if possible simply mend the broken seals.

If an old person with cancer needs a weekly lift to the hospital in Dublin or Cork or Galway, someone in the neighbourhood will always, but a weird coincidence, have a reason to be going to that very city at times convenient for a lift there or back.

If this lift isn't possible, then the independent bus driver will divert the intercity bus to pass the hospital, and wait (with all the passengers) till the sick person comes out to be picked up.

Stop the bus in the middle of a country road to settle an argument about the correct moves for a set of The Lancers, and take all the passengers out, produce a button accordion and drill the passengers in the set until they have it right.

• Advertisement

Millicent wrote: »
    What's wrong with a Tug of War? :confused:
    It was more the Craggy Island-esque reference to the local men taking part that I was highlighting.

Keep a pair of binocs in the kitchen - "Is that McCarthy - who does he have in the passenger seat? Begob, it's that Dub wan from up the bog!"

Know all about every neighbour's sexual transgressions - when the local gardener can't get work, it's not because he's 'nimble-fingered' (= steals every tool that's not nailed down, as well as expensive shrubs), but because he screws the daughters of the quality.

Also know everything about everyone's seed, breed and generation for six generations back. "You see, at the time of the murders in the Phoenix Park, his great-great-grandmother was a second cousin of Skin-the-Goat, and..."

When a neighbour is away and the rain comes pouring in through the conservatory, gather the neighbourhood with all their buckets, and come over and let themselves in and clean the wet place, launder anything that's damaged, put buckets underneath, and if possible simply mend the broken seals.

If an old person with cancer needs a weekly lift to the hospital in Dublin or Cork or Galway, someone in the neighbourhood will always, but a weird coincidence, have a reason to be going to that very city at times convenient for a lift there or back.

If this lift isn't possible, then the independent bus driver will divert the intercity bus to pass the hospital, and wait (with all the passengers) till the sick person comes out to be picked up.

Stop the bus in the middle of a country road to settle an argument about the correct moves for a set of The Lancers, and take all the passengers out, produce a button accordion and drill the passengers in the set until they have it right.

Have to say, on all that, my Dad lives out in the scthicks of Galway and when he was sick, his neighbours did more for him that I ever thought neighbours would be willing to--bringing him dinner, giving him lifts, doing shopping for him, picking up prescriptions etc. And it's not like he's an old man- he's in his fifties. Compare that to my Mam who lives in a bigger estate, in the non-schticks in the South-East. When she had cancer, I don't think very many people darkened her door, even to see how she was and that was a town she grew up in and had friends and family in.

Whatever about proper culchies having their bad points, it really does swing both ways with them and they know how to look out for their neighbours.

Good neighbours aren't a culchy thing. We get them in civilisation also.

Was living in Drumcondra a few years back. On one particular Sunday two culchie teams were playing in Croker. The place was swarmed with boggers.
    Anyway I pushed my way through the throng of people and headed into a sandwich bar beside the Dart station. Upon receiving my order of a ham and cheese toastie, the Asian cashier requests €7.90! :eek:
    I asked him was he serious and that I wasn't paying that much for a toastie. The cashier lowered his head and whispered, 'Do you live around here?'
    I told him 'yes' and he smiles at me cheerfully and says '€4 please!' :D

Zulu wrote: »

I think you may have missed my point (and also the address under my username). I have lived in both the sticks and the city and I can say that the lengths a country neighbour will go to for someone near them is something else.

I'm not saying Dubs (or others from big towns) are bad neighbours- I've some lovely ones here- just can't imagine them doing as much as was done for my Dad, something I'm really appreciative of. It's not an insult on anyone, more a comment on how the suffocating nosiness of true culchie folk can work well in the reverse.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    The poster and the relations were in two different cars. One following the other.

Ahh, OK, because in the original posting the guy wrote:

"I was asked afterwards to drive them to the main bogger road"

I interpret "to drive someone" as them getting in the car with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Enter Username

What the culchiest thing you have seen culchie people do?

Whats the scummiest thing you have seen a knacker scanger Dub do???

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

TopBombing wrote: »
    Ate a sangwich.

:rolleyes:

a hang & egg sangwich? :p

antomagoo wrote: »
    a hang & egg sangwich? :p

Can anybody deny that it's much more fun to call it a "hang and egg sangwich"? :D

True. The difference is that country people tend to have an absolute fascination with their neighbours and their neighbours' lives, which leads to intrusive, lip-licking gossip - and also to incredible kindness in times of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

pawrick wrote: »
    ok

about 12 years ago I went to a night club in Roscommon town, guys on front of me in the queue wearing wellies and they got in!

Of course they did - they were wearin their goin out wellies...:rolleyes:

Nr.4 is particularly lovely

Is that a member of the London Met over the shoulder of the skinhead in #4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Some guy in a pub came up to me (I'm a culchie, but a townie) and was chatting to me. He admitted to being a farmer, although the check shirt and roundneck brown acrylic geansaí was a dead giveaway.

As I was leaving he, in an attempt to flatter me, said "jaysus but your eyes are he colour of wet mud".
    he could have gone for chocolate (the obvious one) but no, mud. Wet mud.

A friend of mine had a bloke say "your eyes are as blue as my tractor".
    I'm actually wondering is it some sort of "in"(bred) joke down here.

Started by a Dub. Fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Walk four abreast down a busy street very slowly as people struggle to get past.

Fcuking gaa tourists.

ash23 wrote: »
    As I was leaving he, in an attempt to flatter me, said "jaysus but your eyes are he colour of wet mud".
    he could have gone for chocolate (the obvious one) but no, mud. Wet mud.

Big compliment. The colour of *land*. Ploughland. The spreading rich acres that will make us wealthy. Mmm.

Started by a Dub. Fail.
    Dub's can be bog munchers aswell, my rural friend.

Dub's can be bog munchers aswell, my rural friend.

:p Is nobody safe from this culchie disease?!

Were they moving the hay with their coc... On second thoughts, I don't wanna know! :D

Sadly not, that would have been entertaining. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

Spot on , remember bringing dinner wrapped under a tea towel in an old stock car to my elderly neighbour cos his wife was in hospital. Any excuse for a spin in the fields.

Once hooked a bloated dead ewe up to the same stock car by the legs and had to drag it down the fields moving from side to side like a water skier. My brother was keeling over with laughter while the old man was lamenting one of his best ewes.

I've seen family lineage been dealt out during verbal and physical rows trying to shame an opponent. Old fellas in a bar scanning you walking in and running through names until they crack who you're related to.

Throwing dried pieces of cow **** still soft in the middle at your mates driving round a field in an open stock car ( started out with a football ).

Going out on a Sat night and having your mother relay what you got up to the night before on the Sun morning at breakfast table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

We call them cock lifters:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

A good few years ago an auld couple were travelling up to Dublin for a family wedding. Driving up the Naas Dual Carriageway he comments "Jaasus this is a fine road now", and keeps on going 'till he comes to the Mad Cow Roundabout, where he comments for a second time "Jaasus what looder put a field in the middle of a grand road like this?"
    Then herself speaks for the first time on the journey, "And to think that our nephew Paddy is going to marry one of these eejits."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I worked in a machine shop down the country a number of years ago, a farmer came in one day and wanted a bolt made up for the back of his tractor. I asked him what diameter and pitch of the thread was. He hadn't a clue but said it was about the diameter of his middle finger and about three inches long

I told him that wasnt enough as the thread could be metric or imperial, fine or coarse thread.

Off he went and came back an hour later with a carrot that he had forced into the nut. The thread profile and diameter on the carrot was perfect to figure out what specifications the bolt was. I gave him one for his initiative. :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I gave him one for his initiative. :p

:eek:

Advertisement