Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What the culchiest thing you have seen culchie people do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Correction: 'the media' don't love anything. The media are nakedly commercial, and print or film anything that *the audience wants*.

Another culchie thing I love (but maybe it's only in the midlands) is using 'out' as a modifier: "She's gorgeous out", "he's thick out", etc.

And having a tanned right arm (left if in Europe or the US) from driving with the window open and an elbow snuggled to the side of the car.

And extrapolating from one technology to another; many years ago my family were driving through Kerry when a car driven by a young farmer of 60 or so with his old mother in the passenger seat passed us.

"Howld hard there on the reins there, Patch," she said to him as they passed.

"Howld hard there on the reins there, Patch," she said to him as they passed.
    That sounds like a line from The Beverly Hillbillies"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Overheard this nugget,

Upon seeing Tiger Woods in the recent JP McManus Pro-am:
    "Jaysus, I thought he'd be Blacker."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

That sounds like a line from The Beverly Hillbillies"

It does, but I swear I heard it.

Then there's the various country walks - the midlands walk, as if pulling wellie-wearing feet loose from the bog on each step; the island walk, leaning hard against the wind.

And the way of talking to strangers: "You wouldn't be one of the McCusckers that went out to Ballina, then, would you?" - not exactly asking a question, like, more negating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Lads in my class at school who would stand up in the middle of class to look out the window if they heard a tractor passing so they could see what kind it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Lads in my class at school who would stand up in the middle of class to look out the window if they heard a tractor passing so they could see what kind it was.

They must have been townies, we could tell by the sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

My culchie uncles used to love telling us that his spuds tasted so good as a result of the superior fertilizer he used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Saw a guy from Kerry/Limerick/Cork (couldn't decipher the accent) practically attack one of the ticket readers on a Dublin Bus about 10 years ago. He was trying to put an old £1 coin into it instead of the ticket (!) and was going apesh*t when it wouldn't work. The bus driver was screaming at him to stop and give him the money but the whole bus was laughing so hard and the culchie was getting so agitated he obviously didn't hear him. Cluchie and bus driver then had conversation the whole bus heard (as they were practically shouting) which basically went like this:

BD: Wat da bleedin' hell are ya doin?
    C : I'm trying ta get me money in here ta pay.
    BD: dat's for de tickets ya eejit...
    C: what tickets?
    BD: Prepaid tickets.
    C: give me wan a dem so.
    BD: ya hav ta buy dem in da shop.
    C: (as he was about to get off the bus and hop into the adjacent Spar) Hold on a minute so.
    BD: (practically wrestling him for the pound coin at this stage) Give me yer money now and get your ticket later.
    C: Tanks boss.

He then proceeded to walk down the middle of the bus with s ah!t-eating grin on him like he'd found the cure for cancer.

I'm laughing now even just thinking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Eat/Chew on grass

• Advertisement

dlambirl wrote: »
    Eat/Chew on grass

As opposed to smoking it! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭policarp

Corkman comes to Dublin, throws a stone into the Liffey and if it floats he goes home...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Use bailing twine as a belt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭LarrytheLantern

Buy a park in a half-decent area of Dublin from the Corpo, turn it into a carpark and then charge the locals to park there.

If Carlsberg did land purchase .............:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

mink_man wrote: »
    I hate when people start giving narky comments back to the op when they don't give their own views on the topic. I don't think they need to give their opinions on topics like this.
    Want some cheese with that whine? I hate when people start dimwitted threads like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Punching the **** out of Dublin folk, because city blokes can't fight worth a damn.

It's a well known fact down the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Wear GAA jerseys on holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

Eating bananas without peeling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Shared a flat in college with a Culchie, when I needed money I'd go to the nearest Bank Link. My flat mate on the other hand would reach into his mattress and pull out cash. 12 years or so later I'm pretty sure he still doesn't have a bank account.

sagat2 wrote: »
    Shared a flat in college with a Culchie, when I needed money I'd go to the nearest Bank Link. My flat mate on the other hand would reach into his mattress and pull out cash. 12 years or so later I'm pretty sure he still doesn't have a bank account.
    That's not a bad thing these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ah nuts

Joe say it ain't so. Bertie Ahern a culchie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,887 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Punching

Being more English than the English

Fighting after a few scoops. Eating "shpuds" and drinking tea. (all introduced by the English and embraced by our rural brethren).

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

On the other hand, a Dublin fella i knew, who was going to a wedding in Wexford, he was asking me all about Wexford, as if it was on another planet. I told him he'd need his passport to get there, he believed me, fúckin idiot. He was saying he had just had it renewed, and that he was looking forward to seeing Wexford.
    Gobshít, its only 60 miles away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Pouring tay into the saucer and drinking it

Oh yeah, being obsessed with varieties of spuds and talking about the merits of these varieties....

ie "Jaysus those are grand flowery golden wonders"

"Jaysus, them aul roosters are fierce waxy arent they, they're only any good for chips"

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anthonymax

I overheard heard a man at the table next to me in a Chinese restaurant ask for "a few cuts a slice pan and a bit a buther" to go with his crispy aromatic duck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Haven't read the whole thread, so don't know if this has been posted yet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-gPAhFq1c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

anthonymax wrote: »
    I overheard heard a man at the table next to me in a Chinese restaurant ask for "a few cuts a slice pan and a bit a buther" to go with his crispy aromatic duck.

Mmmm... crispy aromatic duck sandwich. Nyom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Shake their heads in confusion at Dubs who talk about their "Corpo"

A chinese place I was in was talking about a group that had come in to order steaks and potatoes. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

put up a thread like this???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Speak in an Irish accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Going to a restaurant wearing a beige coloured anorak with a fur trimmed hood over a long evening skirt and high heels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Ah the oul boggers, sure ireland wouldn't be the same without em.

Imagine if the entire population were all herion injecting, cappafrappachino drinking, animal torturing, over-used buzzword saying city folk.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

BluesBerry wrote: »
    or an ambulance basically anything that goes ne naw ne naw ne naw :pac:

I make that noise when I drive past Nenagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Imagine if the entire population were all herion injecting, cappafrappachino drinking, animal torturing, over-used buzzword saying city folk.:pac:
    You need to get some face time with our west brit cousins to mature as a person, going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

mounting a sheep

Coffee and Heroin havent arrived in rural Ireland yet.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Coffee and Heroin havent arrived in rural Ireland yet.

Coffee yes just recently, heroin unfortunately not. You lot need it all. Yiz put it in everything apparently. In your sandwiches, in your tea, soup, the lot...

Most restaurants in dublin have salt, pepper & heroin on the table.:pac:

Coffee yes just recently, heroin unfortunately not. You lot need it all. Yiz put it in everything apparently. In your sandwiches, in your tea, soup, the lot...

Most restaurants in dublin have salt, pepper & heroin on the table.:pac:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CnMbn_5uocU/SYCBJ4RiKjI/AAAAAAAAAEU/Pae6EcQ_ZFU/s320/heroin.jpg

Like this you mean. See you in burger king for a spot of hard drugs sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

Pour some 7up into a glass of really nice and expensive wine, drink it and smack their lips and say " that's just like Champagne"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

This could very possibly have been my father in law, only he doesn't go to Chinese restaurants, too fancy for him!

orourkeda wrote: »
    See you in burger king for a spot of hard drugs sometime.

Burger King? pah! how unsophisticated.:rolleyes:

Heres my local bistro....they do a great creme brulee dessert & their scollops are to die for.

20003853.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭easynote

kick kittens out of their way walking around their farmyard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Timistry wrote: »
    culchiest is not even a word. education fail./thread

No.

Grew up "down the country", getting my Sunday night bus back to the big smoke for college and all, this family got on the bus in wellies with TK Red Lemonade bottles filled with milk and the regulation ham sangwiches in tinfoil, couldn't get over the height of the street lights out in Tallaght, kept pointing up at them and gawping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭notonlybutalso

mink_man wrote: »
    because the non culchies think they're better than the culchies, when they're not.

I reckon non dubs think that dubs believe they are better than the rest of us but in fact they dont they couldnt give a toss. I dont know why the rest of ireland have a problem with dubs. It seems to me that munster has the biggest chip on its shoulder, esp limerick and cork. I reckon they are just jelous because dublin has more going for it. like who holidays in limerick? Cork just has a superiority complex, they think they are better than the world and cork is the centre of the universe.

• Advertisement

Imagine the whole place was full of scum from limerick or opinionated corks or junkies from athlone. If the other cities and i use the word cities very loosley, had as large a population maybe they would see what they are really like. You see very few dubs moving to other counties whys that ? What makes so many non dubs move to dublin?? Because its better. Thats why.

Imagine the whole place was full of scum from limerick or opinionated corks or junkies from athlone. If the other cities and i use the word cities very loosley, had as large a population maybe they would see what they are really like. You see very few dubs moving to other counties whys that ? What makes so many non dubs move to dublin?? Because its better. Thats why.

corks9winery.jpg

corks9winery.jpg
    why are people from cork so jelous of dublin?

???

WHOOOOOOOSSSHHHHHHH........................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,887 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

MJ23 wrote: »
    On the other hand, a Dublin fella i knew, who was going to a wedding in Wexford, he was asking me all about Wexford, as if it was on another planet. I told him he'd need his passport to get there, he believed me, fúckin idiot. He was saying he had just had it renewed, and that he was looking forward to seeing Wexford.
    Gobshít, its only 60 miles away.

What a crock of shyte :pac::pac::pac:. If you're going to make up something to discredit Dubliners, at least make it a little bit believable!

• Advertisement
Advertisement