Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What the culchiest thing you have seen culchie people do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Educate/feed/clothe/civilize Dubliners.

and when they discover how it's done they'll try it down the bog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Use the term; 'This is a bloody joke factory!' when they were dis-pleased with something.

lalee17 wrote: »
    I was on the way to Galway for a day on the bus.

We drove through Clare or somewhere like that, and saw a type of horse festival or something. There were hundreds of horses and men in a field, selling and buying saddles and the like.

We were the only ones shitting ourselves laughing on the bus :D

Oh and on the way back there was a scumbag with his face full of blood, getting the shit kicked out of him by Gardaí and thrown into the back of a Garda van.

Culchies crack me up. :P
    Ballinasloe horse fair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

We drove through Clare or somewhere like that, and saw a type of horse festival or something.

<snip>

getting the shit kicked out of him by Gardaí and thrown into the back of a Garda van.

To be fair, wander down to Smithfield on whichever Sunday of the month it is, and you'll see similar scenes, including disgraceful cruelty, unstopped by any Dubliner or passing garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

We drove through Clare or somewhere like that, and saw a type of horse festival or something. There were hundreds of horses and men in a field, selling and buying saddles and the like.

Oh and on the way back there was a scumbag with his face full of blood, getting the shit kicked out of him by Gardaí and thrown into the back of a Garda van.

it's also very funny that the alot of he 'culchies' that go to the fair are Dubs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

Walk into the local pub and have three or four auld fellas ask each other out loud , "Who's that fella?" , "What , Who is he Martin?" , "Jim Nolans young fella , aye , married one of the bunny Byrnes young wans" , "Tall isn't he, sure the Nolans were all tall men" etc , etc and then talk out loud about your family history while all you can do is say "Howya lads!!". Prob happens in some city\town pubs too but I've only ever experienced it rurally.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Funky Kingston

Culchies crack me up. :P[/QUOT

Most likely the Ballinasloe(Galway not Clare lawl) horse fair...... it's a bit rash to compare a scumbag to a culchie , no ???
    Also is'nt a horse fair a traveller tradition (pardon my ignorance if not ) ??I just thought that's were they go to meet their future other half :rolleyes: romantic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Yep it was possibly Ballinasloe

I'm not saying culchies are scumbags; people from Dublin (or any other part of the world) can also be scumbags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

City-based people can also trade in horses and get thrown in the back of a police van.
    This thread is about the culchiest thing you have seen culchie people do. Care to renew your contribution lalee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Enter Username

Why, do Dublin knackers not get the **** kicked out of them by the Gardai also no???

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1007/1224280566402.html

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    City-based people can also trade in horses and get thrown in the back of a police van.
    This thread is about the culchiest thing you have seen culchie people do. Care to renew your contribution lalee?
    No I wouldn't. The fact was it was a horse festival in Ballinasloe, which in my opinion is pretty boggerish.

The guy with blood on his face only added to the hilarity. :)

Why, do Dublin knackers not get the **** kicked out of them by the Gardai also no???

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1007/1224280566402.html

Haha, what? I don't recall saying that Dublin knackers don't get the **** kicked out of them.

Wow, I touched on some raw nerves tonight it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Walk into the local pub and have three or four auld fellas ask each other out loud , "Who's that fella?" , "What , Who is he Martin?" , "Jim Nolans young fella , aye , married one of the bunny Byrnes young wans" , "Tall isn't he, sure the Nolans were all tall men" etc , etc and then talk out loud about your family history while all you can do is say "Howya lads!!". Prob happens in some city\town pubs too but I've only ever experienced it rurally.

I have to say this is a classic conversation. Haven't stopped laughing since I read it. "...married one of the bunny Byrne's young wans"... "Tall, isn't he, sure the Nolans were all tall men" - heh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Sticking their right arm up a cow's arse, or gee or whatever, and calling their kid PJ or Jon-Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Haha, what? I don't recall saying that Dublin knackers don't get the **** kicked out of them.

Wow, I touched on some raw nerves tonight it seems.

Yea welcome to the internet where your opinion is always wrong and people are incredible aggressive!! lol!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

hypermuse wrote: »
    Yea welcome to the internet where your opinion is always wrong and people are incredibly aggressive!! lol!!

And where pedantic cnuts correct spelling:D

Fixed that for you.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

i was in a lecture in trinners last week and some culchie (dont ask me how he got the points) piped up and gave his opinion in class, me and finno were down the back and we cracked up because he had the nerve to open his gob within the hallowed walls of trinners and he didnt even go to a private school, the lecturer was taken aback too and could be heard muttering "we never should have let catholics in here" - me and the lads cheered hoorah and headed home to foxrock to tell daddy, fockin culchies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Knock yourself out - though these are dairy, you won't find them in your burger

http://www.devon.gov.uk/dairy_cattle.gif

The significant portion of meat used in mince and burgers is from dairy cows that can't give milk anymore, where do you think old milk cows go, a nice retirement farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

funkyjebus wrote: »
    And where pedantic cnuts correct spelling:D

Fixed that for you.:p

hahaha!!

Thanks funkyG-sus!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

so there was a group of you sitting on a bus laughing at people in a field buying saddles?

• Advertisement

Bob Z wrote: »
    so there was a group of you sitting on a bus laughing at people in a field buying saddles?

Yes. Didn't I say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

Id say it was ballinasloe if you were coming from dublin how did you not know where you were
    also do you just take random days out on the bus ? If you do thats pretty sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Eating in abra or supermacs when sober...WHY?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shakeandbake!

i was in a lecture in trinners last week and some culchie (dont ask me how he got the points) piped up and gave his opinion in class, me and finno were down the back and we cracked up because he had the nerve to open his gob within the hallowed walls of trinners and he didnt even go to a private school, the lecturer was taken aback too and could be heard muttering "we never should have let catholics in here" - me and the lads cheered hoorah and headed home to foxrock to tell daddy, fockin culchies

You, finno and lecturer = PRICKS or West Coast Royalists

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

mink_man wrote: »
    i saw a man by the name of the bull mcCabe kill a yank for wanting to buy his field.

was this Anfield??

That didn't actually happen, did it?

Be honest now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

I would say judging by the overt snobishness shown in this post that the poster is actually satirising your elitist variety of trinity student. Unless I'm wrong and they actually type how they speak as in 'Fockin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Laugh and look down at people while on the bus with the other peasants.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

Refer to a can of coke as a "tin of minernal" (pronunciation sic)

• Advertisement

Laugh and look down at people while on the bus with the other peasants.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Yes. Didn't I say that?

Yes but you were saying that they were the culchies

Sigh, I'm gonna leave this thread before I'm accused of trolling. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Yes. Didn't I say that?

But does that not make you look like an utter moron? horses need saddles. People buy saddles. I bet plenty of saddle buyers were rich, too, as horse owners tend to be rich. That would certainly be the case in England.

So basically

1) Country horse owners, probably rich, are in field buying saddles.
    2) Proles from Dublin on bus - of course - find this funny.

Thats what we have here? Thin gruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

It does the show the difference between England, and Ireland though. ( I grew up in both).

A few london proles on a bus driving past people at a horse fair in the Cotswolds would feel class envy, not some kind of unearned superiority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Idiot Ross O Carroll Kelly D4 fool i knew years ago, thought he'd need his passport to get to Wexford

• Advertisement

MJ23 wrote: »
    Idiot Ross O Carroll Kelly D4 fool i knew years ago, thought he'd need his passport to get to Wexford

We had this a few pages back.

It does the show the difference between England, and Ireland though. ( I grew up in both).

A few london proles on a bus driving past people at a horse fair in the Cotswolds would feel class envy, not some kind of unearned superiority.

True, but a there's different clientele at those events in England. ;)

Anyway I was at the fair as well! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

When I was around the skate park in Limerick city centre there were these people gazing up at a hotel by the river saying it was so big haha.

And when a friend of mine who emigrated from Lagos went to Tipperary town on a day out got asked about his skin colour, he wasn't very happy...hehe

I don't think knackers count as culchies cos most knackers are urban and culchies don't live in caravans and attack people..(usually)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

My favourite culchie pastime is dhrinkin' pints a' shtuff on a Super Sunda' with the lads.

But does that not make you look like an utter moron? horses need saddles. People buy saddles. I bet plenty of saddle buyers were rich, too, as horse owners tend to be rich. That would certainly be the case in England.

So basically

1) Country horse owners, probably rich, are in field buying saddles.
    2) Proles from Dublin on bus - of course - find this funny.

Thats what we have here? Thin gruel.

Dublin people are historically undernourished. That's why they are on average much shorter than the rest of Ireland. Food poverty has been an ever present constant in Dublin peoples lives. Even in the Celtic Tiger era food poverty was an ever present. It is also not class conscious. The 'd4 heads' are equally neglected in the food department as their lesser off brothers and sisters.

In the tenement times, post famine 1870's to 1950's Dublin people were massively malnourished. Jugs of porter and pigs cheeks were not uncommon to eat. Culchies always had a field of spuds and assorted vegetables. Dubs had not. The same rang trune in the Celtic Tiger era, crappy mothers and fathers too busy keeping up with the jones force feeding the weans on processed boxed ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tennessee time

That didn't actually happen, did it?

Be honest now...

I would say judging by the overt snobishness shown in this post that the poster is actually satirising your elitist variety of trinity student. Unless I'm wrong and they actually type how they speak as in 'Fockin'.

how anyone could believe i was being serious is beyond me , yes i was mocking this entire thread , the fact that people believed this could be from a real dubliner just shows how low an opinion people from ireland have of dublin people

how anyone could believe i was being serious is beyond me , yes i was mocking this entire thread , the fact that people believed this could be from a real dubliner just shows how low an opinion people from ireland have of dublin people

Tough crowd!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭policarp

Shure you'd have to be a hillbillie, coming from Tennessee loike...

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

no offence but i think some dubliners can be really stupid looking when it comes to culture.

one might even say they can be very uncultured when compared to "country" people.
    certain dubliners often attempt to imitate what they percieve to be "big city" attitudes.. i feel embaressed for them... ive had relations over from the states that are also puzzled by the attitude.

anyway its a minority.. the majority of dubliners are nice people.

might aswell answer the op.. even though i am a big culchie myself

the most culchie thing i ever seen(heard) was just outside limerick city...a guy sprinting across a building site to look at a tractor.. not 2 bad.. but then he turns around to everybody looking at him and says "jayysus... thats shum yoke... shum fecking massy bah"

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

haha "trinners" loike qwuality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

LoganRice wrote: »
    And when a friend of mine who emigrated from Lagos went to Tipperary town on a day out got asked about his skin colour, he wasn't very happy...hehe

LOL! What brought him down there? Was he expecting Ireland's answer to San Francisco or something? I'm going to call it as your fault LoganRice for not warning your friend ;). Even if you are white, the Tipptowners will still gather around you asking you 20 questions if they don't know you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Morrigin

I'm a culchie myself. Was at the ploughing championships with my other half recently, left him looking at a milking machine while I went to browse the stalls. I came back an hour later and he's still looking lovingly at the same milking machine. He looks up at me and says "Jaysus, it even checks for mastitis!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

Stick their hands down the air intakes of a Ferrari 308 in Killarney

It made me wonder what a culchie would use said intakes for if you gave him the car.Emergency spuds maybe?Drying socks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Watching Liam Harnan breaking Barney Rocks collar bone, top cluchie

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Farmers driving sheep into the offices of the Dept. of Agriculture offices on St. Stephens Green.

• Advertisement
Advertisement