Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me identify the failed component

• 26-08-2010 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm using a Sony VAIO VGN-FW21M. Last night whilst browsing boards.ie (true actually) a small error message came up which said DCOM has unexpectedly quit and that the computer would need to restart. I didn't think much of the error message at the time and let it restart. More browsing the web and I notice certain services were shutting down all I was left with was a single web browser window. I called expplorer.exe in taqsk manager but to no avail. I then restarted the machine. It wwas then that a serious problem was causing this issue. The screen blacked out just before the login screen with only the mouse pointer being able to move. oh no BSOD.Forced to power down and started in safe mode as I was getting very concerned this might be a HDD failure so I took my most important documents off and tried to sort out the problem. no avail, a regular windows stard wouldn't go past this black screen. I left until morning and tried again and it magically worked... for a while. I plugged in my thumb drive which caused a serious system error and forced a shutdown and was yet again left with my black screen and pointer.

At this point I physically removed the HDD and backed up the data and reseated the ram. Didn't fix it. I then made a ubuntu boot disk and booted from that but large programs like Firefox wouldn't open and caused strange errors like looking for non existant passwords. I am now convinced I have a component failure rather than a software issue, so the question I ask is it MOBO, processor, memory or something else thats borked? I can't afford a new machine at the moment so how much do these things cost to repair?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

This might give you more information on the BSOD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

It could be bad RAM. Does your Ubuntu boot disk have Memtest86+ as a boot option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

..... so the question I ask is it MOBO, processor, memory or something else thats borked? I can't afford a new machine at the moment so how much do these things cost to repair?

Unfortunately the cost of repairing laptops can quickly approach the cost of a new one.

Try the Ultimate Boot CD from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ as it has all sorts of component-specific tests that might help shed some light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I removed one of the RAM modules and it seems to have solved the issue. Haven't been able to run memtest as I don't have any spare blank disks but will do tomorrow. Thanks for all your help

I'll keep ye posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I'm after running memtest86+ in all sorts of configurations (ie with both RAM sticks, one ram stick in slot 1, one ram stick in slot two ets) and I have determined the problem was indeed a RAM module which developed a fault. Thanks again for all your help, saved me €100+vat per half hour for diagnostics which the local repair guy quoted me. Currently working off my one good stick and the replacement part is in the post :)

Boards.ie saves the day!

• Advertisement
Advertisement