Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Grass Growing Too Fast

Options
  • 26-08-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

At the beginning of the summer i covered some bald patches on my lawn with grass seed (leisure lawn seed No.2 with ryegrass) but its growing way too fast compared to the rest of lawn.

How can i amend this?? ive already tried mow it less but if anything thats made it grow quicker:mad:

grassc.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Never seen this "Mow it Less" before ..what i exactly is it can you tell us the active ingredient ..Is it some sort of hormone growth controller (These are used by Some County councils to reduce number of road side verge cut's required in a year!!

As they say a Picture speaks a 1000 words... you can see how pale yellowish green your lawn is and the patch (repair??) so glossy green ... Lot's of energy being produce in that grass...:rolleyes:

when you patched your lawn how did you do it??? Dig and cultivate the soil ... Did you add a feed with the seed as well ?? or just throw the seeds down without distrubing the soil...

This ryegrass could also be a more vigourous cultivar to what is in your lawn... Also your lawn has older grasses and is now competing against this younger new grass...

I would actually recommend feeding your lawn some thing with little or No Nitrogen (N) but plenty of Iron (fe) (P) and K Iron to darken to Grass more green and other to feed the root system!!

Ok Just check out what is Mow it less!!

A Lawn feed!!! Apply anytime between Mar-Sept. Nutrient rich formula gives a lush green healthy lawn in just 3 days.
    With
    Nitrogen (N) you dont want this as N Makes plants GROW!!! ,

Phosphorous Pentoxide (P) , Potassium Oxide (K) you want as they feed the Plant's root System

Bad name for this Product!!! Mow it More might be better name!!

OP did you just "feed these patches with this feed or the entire lawn???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

jezko wrote: »
    Nitrogen (N) you dont want this as N Makes plants GROW!!! ,

Not true..
    Higher Nitrogen feeds should be applied to a lawn in the spring time and lower Nitrogen feeds in the Autumn (I wouldn't apply a higher N feed after 1st Aug).

Honestly the problem will resolve as time goes on, feed it appropriatly, mow it regularly and it will be fine...

bbam wrote: »
    Not true..
    Higher Nitrogen feeds should be applied to a lawn in the spring time and lower Nitrogen feeds in the Autumn (I wouldn't apply a higher N feed after 1st Aug).

Honestly the problem will resolve as time goes on, feed it appropriatly, mow it regularly and it will be fine...

Agree with your answer Spring v Autumn feed And Yes Nitrogen does make plants grow. the OP doesn't want any more growth

And yes maybe the problem will resolve as time goes on,

However you may notice the extra feed's you applied to these patches as the K & P may still be in the soil .. granted the extra N will be washed out by next spring.

Still Feed your entire Lawn and as bbam states use a low level N feed or I would say None!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

jezko wrote: »

OP did you just "feed these patches with this feed or the entire lawn???

I just fed the patches with mow it less which is claimed to slow down grass growth:cool:

But its always being growing faster even before i put down the feed.

fryup wrote: »
    I just fed the patches with mow it less which is claimed to slow down grass growth:cool:

But its always being growing faster even before i put down the feed.

The patches are new fresh grass and will be more vigourous compared to the original.

As the other Poster bbam mentioned it you could leave it as is and next year this "new" grass will have slowed down and blended in more with the lawn...

I would feed it and put up with the patches till next year ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

maybe i should have put down a slower growing seed, a no.1 maybe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

These specalised lawn seeds are of limited use in regular lawns... If you live anywhere near rural areas they are "contaminated" with wild grass seed over time and will need regular mowing just as any lawn..

The differential in the two lawn seeds in your lawn will show less from now on as the major growth has near passed for the year...
    Give it an Autumn feed and then a Spring feed and you shouldn't see any patches next year...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

fryup wrote: »
    maybe i should have put down a slower growing seed, a no.1 maybe??

Generally speaking theres 3 grades of lawn seed - simply called No.1, No. 2 & No. 3.

No. 1 will be the finest quality, slowest growing but not the easiest to look after. It's really for a front lawn, top quality place - it won't take much traffic/usage.

No. 2 is the best balance between good looks and good usability...

No. 3 will grow the fastest and take the most wear.

Advertisement