Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effexor 225mg Withdrawel

Options
  • 26-08-2010 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been on anti-depressants now for over two years, which at the time wasn't my choice....it was a case of either starting on meds or face the possibility of hospitalisation.

Two years on, I am fed up of taking meds every day. I have felt like this for some time now and I have discussed this with my Doctor, but he is very reluctant for me to come off them.

I don't feel as if they have made a difference, I wish they had! I am now off them for almost a week and I am incredibly nausious, dizzy and weak, if I had of known about this in the beginning I would have ever have taken the stupid things.

I suppose I'm kind of wondering has anyone else out there gone off them alone, I know your not supposed to but many people do and what were yer experiences?

Anyone have any advice for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I've been on Efexor for a while myself now, and the side effects to begin with - nausea, dizziness, all of that - were unbearable to begin with, so I can't even imagine what it must be like coming off it. I've heard that it can be one of the worst to come off of - have you stopped taking it altogether yourself or are you tapering off under the supervision of your doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yea i'm feeling it alright, I'm going it alone, doc dosen't know cos he dosen't approve...I have just come to the point where if i put one more of them in my mouth i will go mad!!

they just didnt suit me in general...but i guess everyone is different

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If they're not agreeing with you, then talk to your doctor about alternatives.

I suppose it's not really medical advice to recommend trying valerian root. A friend found it helped when he was coming off pain killers. It's best to discuss this with your pharmacist first though.

I still think your best course of action is to go back to your doctor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Yep thats typical effexor withdrawl. I dont think your ready to come off medication completley but you should consider switching. It can take a couple of tries before you find one that works for you.

I really and truly know that it probably wasnt the smartest thing to do to come off them like this but the way I looked at it was that I have been on Effexor and Lexapro (not together) since February of last year and I have yet to see any great improvement in myself!

I have decided I am going to go back to my GP some time this week comming but I know deep down I am going to refuse going on any further meds. Especially now knowing how hard they are to come off, like if I look at myself today I couldn't get out of bed until like 5pm and since then I have been extremely nausiousm shakey, dizzy to the point of falling on the floor only like an hour ago...it's actually so scary!

Nobody around me is aware that I'm taking anything and there wondering why I'm in such bad form, something that I can't and am not willing to explain to them!

Does anyone know how long you experience things like this for....anyone gone it alone?

• Advertisement

Hi
    I have been on 225 effexor for 5 years. After having supportive therapy I now feel ready to come off it. My G.P. has drawn up a schedule of withdrawal which will last about 12 weeks. I am a few weeks in, and even with a gradual withdrawal the side effects have been horrible. Nausea, headaches and expecially the dizzy spells.

My psychiatrist did not want me to reduce meds, so I took it on myself to ask my G.P. for help and he has been brilliant.

You really need to have a structured and supported withdrawal - any chance of changing G.P.

Good Luck.

Hi Misswalker,

It's great to hear that your comming off your meds and are recieving the help that you need. I have also been recieving help by the local psyciatric team but I don't feel that they see where I am comming from.

The reason I came off them is I was completely fed up taking them and feeling as if I was getting no where!

I have decided I am going to go an see my GP this week, hopefully tomorrow before I pass out again!

The reason I wouldn't be too keen in changing GP is that I know he is a good Doctor and that he was good to me before seeing me very frequently when I was in a bad place awaiting a consultation with the hospital. He knows me and he knows my history, I am doubting his reaction but I suppose a rash decision isn't always the best one!

So far how have you been getting on?

I went to the doc's early this morn...reluctant and funny I was right to be!

My normal doctor was of on hols, so the locum was there. Ah right well to me you certainly look as if you need them today...here have another three month supply, come back in a few weeks. Are you sleeping...'no' sure have a few of these as well...sleeping tabs!

Anyone have an experience like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I was on effexor a few years back and found even if I was late takin one I'd get this awful feeling in my head like electric shocks. Had to be weaned off them over a course of 2 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭skooterblue

unhappy999 wrote: »
    I went to the doc's early this morn...reluctant and funny I was right to be!

My normal doctor was of on hols, so the locum was there. Ah right well to me you certainly look as if you need them today...here have another three month supply, come back in a few weeks. Are you sleeping...'no' sure have a few of these as well...sleeping tabs!

Anyone have an experience like that!

Hi unhappy,
    Same thing to that here, locum suggested efexor. Looked it up and scared the bejaysus out of me when I looked up the side effects. I am a young man with no kids (maybe a good thing?) but the brain zaps and the infertility is a bit of a one to swallow.
    I need more advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement