Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA Billy Bookcase

Options
  • 26-08-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Just looking for a bit of advice.

I bought a bookcase from IKEA, a Billy branded product.
    My boyfriend put it together for me just now, and it was a breeze, everything fit right, no trouble at all.

We've stood it up and it looks slanted now.. the floor is level so its definitely the bookcase. From having 3 people look at it they say that we may have picked up a dodgy package from IKEA. The back of the bookcase is merely cardboard and when we took this out of the packaging we noticed it wasn't cut properly, but we managed to get around that.

I'm wondering now if I should bother phoning IKEA?
    I don't think that they will do anything for me really but I said i'd post here just incase

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hi all.
    Just looking for a bit of advice.

I bought a bookcase from IKEA, a Billy branded product.
    My boyfriend put it together for me just now, and it was a breeze, everything fit right, no trouble at all.

We've stood it up and it looks slanted now.. the floor is level so its definitely the bookcase. From having 3 people look at it they say that we may have picked up a dodgy package from IKEA. The back of the bookcase is merely cardboard and when we took this out of the packaging we noticed it wasn't cut properly, but we managed to get around that.

I don't think that they will do anything for me really but I said i'd post here just incase

Thanks

was it put together properly? May have been easy but maybe have a look through the instructions again and see if everything done ok.

Post a picture of it and give a look.

The fact the cardboard backing wasnt cut proper is strange as Ikea stuff is usually like a jigsaw with everything slotting together easy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Did you put a spirit level on it?

Do ring customer service if you're concerned, they're really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

when you said that the backing was not cut properly? was is that when you put it against the timber of the bookcase it was off shape. That would mean that the bookcase while put together properly just needed to be squared off before attaching the backing.

best and quickest way to find out is to measure the diagonals at the back of the bookcase. top left to bottom right and the the reverse.

if there is a difference then you did not square it off before you attached the backing. this is the case with all cabinets without drawers as the drawers help keep its shape. this would in turn cause the bookcase to wobble on an even surface

if not then contact ikea they are really helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Of course you should be bothered. Make sure that you've assembled the product as per the instructions. If it still seems wrong, then get in touch with IKEA straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Get a new boyfriend and see if he can do any better:D

The Billy bookcase is Ikea's all time best seller, so I'd expect that it has been made right, but it could have been a stary one.

Still, check instructions and see if each side is correctly positioned (easy to have ne side upside downa nd not notice til book case is built), if not, give them a tinkle and ask if they have any news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

I had too put four together for my daughter a couple of weeks ago made a couple of mistakes on the first two but they worked out fine

Advertisement