Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLACKROCK ACCOMODATION

Options
  • 26-08-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, I'm just after booking a room in Blackrock west hall, I'm going into first year and was told there's barely any first years there, can someone clarify this for me?

Also, is there a bus route every morning? I didn't really have a choice as all that was left was Blackrock and Roebuck catered, and I highly doubt my parents are willing to pay upwards of 6 grand for accomodation. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Also, as i live in Mayo and don't know these parts :) could someone tell me how far it is to walk or cycle? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Blackrock isn't that far of a cycle. Its about 15-20 minutes cycle to the main entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Hey everyone, I'm just after booking a room in Blackrock west hall, I'm going into first year and was told there's barely any first years there, can someone clarify this for me?

Also, is there a bus route every morning? I didn't really have a choice as all that was left was Blackrock and Roebuck catered, and I highly doubt my parents are willing to pay upwards of 6 grand for accomodation. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Also, as i live in Mayo and don't know these parts :) could someone tell me how far it is to walk or cycle? thanks

There's a side/back entrance to Smurfit which, if you turn left when exiting, will put you on the right track towards UCD or Stillorgan (go straight for UCD, take next left for Stillorgan)

Sorry: you're right about the lack of first years. But the residences are apparently top-notch tho on a campus that would fit in in the US Ivy League.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Blackrock is not far at all from the main campus. It's a long enough walk, but definitely walking distance - about a 25 - 30 minute walk, or a 10 - 15 minute cycle.

You can get the 17 bus - it goes along Mount Merrio avenue from Blackrock DART station. It's not the best though: http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/New-Route-17/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Sorry, what do you mean by "not the best", i don't mind as long as it picks me up and drops me off in near campus, would it have problems arriving on time etc? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

It's just not very frequent, and it would be ok going towards UCD, as you would be getting it near where it starts from, but going towards Blackrock it can be hard to predict when it arrives to UCD.

• Advertisement

ah alright, don't really mind getting back as long as I'm not late for lectures and stuff... really gutted i couldn't get one of the closer places, I still don't have a clue where Blackrock is either, gonna go up on orientation week and hopefully figure this mess out

ah alright, don't really mind getting back as long as I'm not late for lectures and stuff... really gutted i couldn't get one of the closer places, I still don't have a clue where Blackrock is either, gonna go up on orientation week and hopefully figure this mess out

It ain't that hard to find Blackrock. Mount Merrion avenue is the easy road to remember that brings you there.

oh alright ill ask around for it thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Sorry: you're right about the lack of first years. But the residences are apparently top-notch tho on a campus that would fit in in the US Ivy League.

Hi, I'm based in Blackrock this year and there will actually be a decent mix of freshers, returning undergrads, post-grads and internationals. I'm in Halls too and it's pretty decent.

On bike main campus is 15-20 mins depending on your speed, and the hills aren't too bad. Blackrock campus is a stone's throw from the village, and has plenty of facilities (ATM, laundrette, restaurant, etc.)

Don't worry, OP - you'll have a great year!

Thanks :), I'll probably have to stalk some poor unfortunate soul on the first day and ask them could i follow them by bike to UCD :D

• Advertisement

Thanks :), I'll probably have to stalk some poor unfortunate soul on the first day and ask them could i follow them by bike to UCD :D

You could follow me :D Going past back entrance of Smurfit, to UCD on bike, every day of Orientation week

Haha thanks, I doubt I'll be moving in till around the 20th when college actually starts, but if I do I'll try to contact you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

Lectures start on Monday the 13th.
    www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/term_dates_2010-11.pdf
    Don't want you to miss your first week.

Slippers 2 wrote: »
    Lectures start on Monday the 13th.
    www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/term_dates_2010-11.pdf
    Don't want you to miss your first week.

Holy ****, why is everyone saying we've another month off then? Unless UCD starts before other colleges? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

Looks like lectures in Trinity start two weeks later: http://tcd.ie/calendar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 donalkenny

If I was you, I'd do anything not to live in Blackrock. The whole atmosphere of the place is business like and sterile, and you are unlikely to meet many first years. The environment at UCD is much better suited to your needs. I attended UCD for fours years and smurfit for one. If you annoy the accomodation office enough they'll put you on the main campus. Get doctor notes ect, anything that might help you. The effort now will be worth it. First year in college can be the best year of your life, just make sure your living in the right place. Its extremely important. There are also no proper bus links between blackrock and ucd.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

donalkenny wrote: »
    If I was you, I'd do anything not to live in Blackrock. The whole atmosphere of the place is business like and sterile, and you are unlikely to meet many first years. The environment at UCD is much better suited to your needs. I attended UCD for fours years and smurfit for one. If you annoy the accomodation office enough they'll put you on the main campus. Get doctor notes ect, anything that might help you. The effort now will be worth it. First year in college can be the best year of your life, just make sure your living in the right place. Its extremely important. There are also no proper bus links between blackrock and ucd.

Hey, I'm living in Blackrock right now, and I think I need to clarify a few inaccuracies in this post...

First of all, this is the first year all residences have been open to all students. As I work there I can tell you for fact that Halls in Blackrock is at least 50% first years this year. I'm not certain about Roby and Novitius but there is a decent spread across year groups.

Second, the 17 bus is a decent service to main campus. Alternatively a 10 minute cycle will have you at Belfield.

Finally there are a large number of social activitites being organised out here right from the beginning of the semester so there will be great crack out here.

I think it's bad of you to needlessly worrh a fresher starting out on hisor her college experience. Let him judge Blackrock for himself.

Do they group the First Years together though? I really don't want to be living with people who are 4 years older than me :( , also, how much would that 17 bus cost and whereabouts exactly would it drop you off? Sorry for all the questions but I've been ringing them up as well and for some reason no one's answering.

Do they group the First Years together though? I really don't want to be living with people who are 4 years older than me :( , also, how much would that 17 bus cost and whereabouts exactly would it drop you off? Sorry for all the questions but I've been ringing them up as well and for some reason no one's answering.

Don't waste your time with the 17 bus. It isn't regular enough.

17 is fine in the morning. Can be okay in the evening in Blackrock. Is absolute murder getting it back from UCD, particularly at night. Particularly late at night :mad:

Hvr, it stops right in the middle of campus.

Smart thing might be to buy a fold-up bike, get the 17 up in the morning, and then you can cycle back or whatevr.

Costs E1.60 Blackrock to Belfield.

Having said all that though - I just cycle, and don't mind it when the 17 whizzes past me. All I think about is the fact that I don't have to wonder whether or not my entire plans for the day/evening will be put in jeopardy by a bus that occasionally fails to appear.

Yes: I have experience of using the 46A as a substitute bus to Blackrock :rolleyes:

Oh btw, for someone living in Smurfit, the 114 is worth a glance (a small glance since its numbers have been slashed since the recession). In the unlikely event of getting one (it passes outside the front of smurft) it links up with the N11 and all the many bus routes there (cost = E1.15). Again, this is not something you want to do on the way back from UCD !

And pish! Four years? You should widen your horizons, it ain't school u know. Having said that, campus life (that is Belfield) will offer vastly more to you than Smurfit, and you are more-or-less guaranteed a social life. A social life that is constrained to the dingy tenement five-to-a-room, single bathroom, (where's there a working lightbulb?), who-ate-my-****ing-cheese living that accompanies the delights offered by ghettos such as Belgrove; but such is life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I find that the 17 is fine from blackrock, seems to follow the timetable more or less (arrive 5 minutes early), but is very irregular from UCD. However, it's only a short walk down Woodbine avenue (10-15 min) to the coast road, where you can get the number 7/8/45/4 to blackrock. It's not ideal, but it's done me fine over the last three years when I've needed to get the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 micko2010

Just wondering where exactly do you get that number 17 bus at blackrock and what times does it run at usually ?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

You can get it outside the dart station, at the bottom of Carysfort Avenue (outside An Bord Altranais) or outside the Frascati shopping centre. The timetable is available on the dublin bus website

Advertisement