Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Zyxel router

• 26-08-2010 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

Quick question: do I have to use the original eircom zyxel router or can I use any router with the existing eircom line? In other words, if any router will work with the eircom line or it has to be the original eircom router?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Pretty much any standard ADSL2+ router should work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

hosi wrote: »
    Quick question: do I have to use the original eircom zyxel router or can I use any router with the existing eircom line? In other words, if any router will work with the eircom line or it has to be the original eircom router?

Eircom won't officially support any routers except there own. Bear that in mind if you aren't technically minded and might need support from them down the line.

I think the best option is any wireless router which has ADSL2+ and one which can run dd-wrt. It will give the most flexibility and features short of turning a computer into a router.

I recommended a Cisco/Linksys WRT160NL to someone else earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

jpl888 wrote: »
    I think the best option is any wireless router which has ADSL2+ and one which can run dd-wrt. It will give the most flexibility and features short of turning a computer into a router.

I recommended a Cisco/Linksys WRT160NL to someone else earlier.

One needs to be very careful when looking for an ADSL2+ router. As far I can tell the Cisco/Linksys WRT160NL is not actually an ADSL2+ router so it could only work with a separate modem attached.

bhickey wrote: »
    One needs to be very caredul when looking for an ADSL2+ router. As far I can tell the Cisco/Linksys WRT160NL is not actually an ADSL2+ router so it could only work with a separate modem attached.

Check the user guide. I couldn't see it either on the data sheet so downloaded it. Title is "broadband router" and it also mentions internet light and internet port plus picture of back of router with yellow DSL connection. Need I go on?

For completeness http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT160NL see user guide.

Actually I think it's just an ethernet port, although there is a PPPOE client bundled. I'm going back to bed, meh.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

Cheers lads. Just got Netgear DG834G. It works perfectly with my iMac. The original Zyxel-eircom c**ppy router didn't work well with Apple products (iMac, iPad, iPhone).

Advertisement