Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your comments on the net...media!

• 26-08-2010 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

So I updated my twitter yesterday and I came across a tweet from boards telling, not asking mind you, media people the following...

"Media peeps, please note - unless you have written permission from us or the poster, you do NOT have permission to republish from Boards.ie"

Would you be bothered if you saw your post appearing in the media?

I would have no problem seeing my comments used. Putting comments up on the net is pretty much making them available to everyone

Would you mind?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I'd mind. It's not like anyone on here would ever reproduce anything from anywhere else without permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Posts from AH, no.
    They could cause trouble..

I once had some local media outlet contacting me via PM a few years back over some issue I had commented on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Atari Jaguar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

No, wouldnt bother me. Once you post on the internet its there, and there for good. You will fint ths thread tomorrow on google search, so what difference does it make if its here or on some bloggers tweeters site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

seeing as my posts are sarcastic or satirical, i'd find it pretty funny if my comments on something were published and misinterpreted as something real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't know
    maybe depends on the context?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

snyper wrote: »
    No, wouldnt bother me. Once you post on the internet its there, and there for good. You will fint ths thread tomorrow on google search, so what difference does it make if its here or on some bloggers tweeters site?

http://www.google.ie/search?q=your+comments+on+the+net+media&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

You underestimate how fast google works! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Ask Biggins. He's in the Daily Mail! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Yeah I'd mind.
    There's reason why I don't post under my own name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Happens quite a lot, lazy journalism tbh.

Bit of a pisser actually, and IANAL, but boards can get it's arse sued for comments it publishes, we know that, but yet I imagine it's quite difficult for it to claim ownership of the comments that lazy journeymen journos quote from here for a few lines of copy.

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd mind.
    There's reason why I don't post under my own name.

But i think the question is if it under you net name.. easyeason3?

Would you mind if your posts ended up in someones site?

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't know
    maybe depends on the context?

Says/worries/complains/muses/hints

the

freak/progressive educationalist/well-respected contributor/danger to our society/brave outspoken gender warrior/member of the public/Links234.

They'll find one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Millicent wrote: »
    Ask Biggins. He's in the Daily Mail! :pac:

:p

...And the Times, Indo' and a few others besides being dragged onto TV and radio! :o
    I should learn to keep my mouth shut - but then I have to be able to hear the sound of my own voice for a change when the other half is not around! :pac:

...Sorry dear, still love ya! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Star quoted one of my posts on here in their Pear Bulmers arse-ripper story.

As a matter of fact we have a journo on one of my favourite papers :rolleyes: who makes paragraphs and paragraphs from made up anecdotes, and I bet know she's not the only one.

What for Biggins?

I had an idea once to manufacture a news story on here, so unbelievable as to not be true (which it obviously wont be), but get enough users to swear that they had experienced it/seen it/heard of it and see if any of the major news outlets pick it up and run with it.

Would certainly highlight the laziness of the media here.

What for Biggins?

I had an idea once to manufacture a news story on here, so unbelievable as to not be true (which it obviously wont be), but get enough users to swear that they had experienced it/seen it/heard of it and see if any of the major news outlets pick it up and run with it.

There's the makings of a novel in that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's the makings of a novel in that!

Brian Cowen found dead in Hospital wheelchair.

20 benson found in anus

• Advertisement

But i think the question is if it under you net name.. easyeason3?

Would you mind if your posts ended up in someones site?

Yeah I would.

I don't don't mean this in a smart way but Mods are always warning us about posting nasty remarks about people due to the fear of getting sued. Fair enough I can understand where they are coming from.
    So if I started slagging off, say the Independent & they sued Boards for defamation, why would it then be ok for them to come along & quote posters in an article & not expect the same legal action in return?
    After all they are not paying Boards or the poster for the privilage of taking material to construct an article?

And it's a lazy practise if another website or form of media has to resort to 'borrowing' material from a succesful site in order to appeal to their target market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I had an idea once to manufacture a news story on here, so unbelievable as to not be true

Mary Harney to become Eva longoria's stunt double....

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Yeah I would.

I don't don't mean this in a smart way but Mods are always warning us about posting nasty remarks about people due to the fear of getting sued. Fair enough I can understand where they are coming from.
    So if I started slagging off, say the Independent & they sued Boards for defamation, why would it then be ok for them to come along & quote posters in an article & not expect the same legal action in return?
    After all they are not paying Boards or the poster for the privilage of taking material to construct an article?

And it's a lazy practise if another website or form of media has to resort to 'borrowing' material from a succesful site in order to appeal to their target market.

Agreed, hence why boards dont want material republished.

Having said that, i dont care personally about what i say being published - i say that however knowing that my posts are owned by boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Says/worries/complains/muses/hints

the

freak/progressive educationalist/well-respected contributor/danger to our society/brave outspoken gender warrior/member of the public/Links234.

They'll find one.

lol :p

mikom wrote: »
    Mary Harney to become Eva longoria's stunt double....

OK - it has to be something that is at least somewhat convincing.

Agreed, hence why boards dont want material republished.

Having said that, i dont care personally about what i say being published - i say that however knowing that my posts are owned by boards

And long may our safe haven last :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

What for Biggins?

Count me in :D that is just the greatest idea!!!

i don't mind if my posts were used i just can't believe i say things anyone would find remotely interesting! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I got a PM the other day from an RTE researcher asking me if I'd speak 'off-record' to him about a subject I made some posts on a while back.. I told him that anything I said on here was in the public domain and off-record as far as I'm concerned, and that I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing what I post here with a 3rd party.

But no I wouldn't care if I was quoted.. and tbh I would have thought that it's perfectly alright for people to quote what is posted here

I got a PM the other day from an RTE researcher asking me if I'd speak 'off-record' to him about a subject I made some posts on a while back.. I told him that anything I said on here was in the public domain and off-record as far as I'm concerned, and that I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing what I post here with a 3rd party.

But no I wouldn't care if I was quoted.. and tbh I would have thought that it's perfectly alright for people to quote what is posted here

Tell us what it was ye were discussing :p

• Advertisement

You drank some pear cider and got the Brad Pitts and it made the front page of the Mirror? That's brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

2 years ago, I posted a thread in the soccer forum regarding an e-mail sent from a football fan website. Basically, they were asking people if they thought that bringing back terraces to English football stadiums would be a good idea, to improve the athmosphere at matches.

It was a reasonable question to ask, but the email was sent on the anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster. For those who don't remember it - a crowd crush at Sheffield Wednesday's game against Liverpool at Hillsborough in 1989, resulted in the worst stadium disaster in the UK, with 96 people killed.

It also resulted in all clubs being forced to make their stadiums all-seaters to help prevent crushes like this again.

My post was about the insensitivity of the timing of the email - and as it was from a footballing fan website, I couldn't understand how they had not realised that it was the sent on the same day as the anniversary of the disaster.

The same day, a reporter from The Sun e-mailed me & asked if he could talk to me about the post. I replied saying that I wouldn't give the time of day to a tabloid rag like his. However, as my name obviously came up in the reply details, he ignored my request & published the article with "quotes" from me that he had taken off Boards. He also printed my full name.

The headline was something like "Liverpool Fans Disgusted at Return of Stadium Terraces".

The thing that really pissed me off wasn't that he used my full name without permission, or that his article was almost a word for word copy & paste of my post, nor was it that the headline suggested that terraces were to return to stadiums when they weren't - it was that he said I was a Liverpool fan, when I've been a Man United fan for over 25 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Would you be bothered if you saw your post appearing in the media?

I've heard thinly veiled rehashes of some of my posts on boards on the radio...couldn't prove anything so didn't/wouldn't make anyhting of it.

I hate to think of someone especially at certain newspapers making money off the back of an anonymous internet posting, by plagiarising it, re-wording it and claiming it as their own.

When you publish to boards, it's board's property...re-publishing is theft in effect, when no poermission is granted for usage.
    The least any decent media outlet could do is give a reference to the source, if not some payment for all that easily searchable material this site provides...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's an interesting one alright. On the one hand we often link to news sources in posts and don't ask their permission. And I'm sure they have some copyright clause attached to their stuff. So if one of them links or republishes one of our comments should we go batshít? If there is a newspaper comparison in this I suppose it could go like this; Boards is the newspaper and publisher, the users are the journos. If someone nicks copyright, the newspaper/Boards could go after them, but it probably falls to the journo/user? Especially on Boards as they don't invite nor employ the users, so any control of content is down to the mods(also not employed, but invited) and is retroactive.

I do reckon the next ten years on the web and what constitutes copyright will be more important, as more and more "Old" money comes on board looking to recoup money in the old fashioned way. And they will try. In a lot of ways the wild west days of the web are passing fast. The old notion of a free for all is also passing fast. It'll pass more and more as the ext generation of tech comes on stream, where you will be more identifiable online. The media, like all media before it is maturing. Every new frontier thinks its somehow different,but they all follow very similar patterns. The pioneers have already taken the arrows, the settlers are taking the land and next they'll start fighting over it. Copyright will be one aspect of that battle I reckon.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Oh - just remembered on the Sopladine story, Ian Dempsey was reading out quotes from Boards posters the other week when he ran the story, though in fairness, he did say that he got them from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

My posts are important enough to be sent off to ministers, no less. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I have been PM'd on several occasions asking would I elaborate further on remarks I made here either on or off the record. I replied once because it was something i felt strongly about it.

But, to be fair, when a journalist starts trolling on here for remarks its pathetic and shows how weak journalism and investigative reporting is in this country. Sitting on their holes, getting their stories from the internet.

SeaFields wrote: »
    I have been PM'd on several occasions asking would I elaborate further on remarks I made here either on or off the record. I replied once because it was something i felt strongly about it.

But, to be fair, when a journalist starts trolling on here for remarks its pathetic and shows how weak journalism and investigative reporting is in this country. Sitting on their holes, getting their stories from the internet.

I'm writing an article about lazy journalism - can I quote you on that?

I'm writing an article about lazy journalism - can I quote you on that?

Go right ahead sir you lazy bastard....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wouldn't nescessarilly say that quoting people from here is lazy journalism.. not unless they're building the story around what is posted here. Journalists have always asked what people's opinions on current events are.. it's just easier to source opinion online I guess, and isn't that what the internet exists for really.. to make things easier

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wertz wrote: »
    When you publish to boards, it's board's property...re-publishing is theft in effect, when no poermission is granted for usage.
    I would disagree its Boards property. The copyright and responsibility for the content of your posts remains with you. You give Boards rights to publish that content, but that's it. You also give them the right to delete it if they feel its not on.

Good for both too. For Boards? If it was Boards property, then if you wrote something incredibly libelous and it was missed by mods and management, you would get off scot free and Boards Ltd would be entirely liable and could get badly hit in the pocket. Bollocks to that.

For the user? You retain the copyright to your content. Why someone would be so blase to give that up is beyond me TBH. You also get a platform to have that content published while retaining copyright. That's good stuff.

For both? Well if hypothetically, I wrote something worth nicking and I spotted someone doing that. I could make a legal challenge as the copyright holder. Boards Ltd as my authorised publisher (and the benefactor of all our content, as the users are of each others) could make a legal challenge both in concert and on behalf of me a user. That's a lot of leverage there, even if not tested yet. Much better bet than if it was me alone or Boards alone on all counts.

In fact that's the one area the internet is or can be different. People have more control over their content and so do the publishers. I have had my issues with some aspects of Boards in my time. One reason I did was IMHO I could see how it was different and the better the place was the longer it could remain that way.

The least any decent media outlet could do is give a reference to the source, if not some payment for all that easily searchable material this site provides...
    If one is relying on good will for that you will be waiting a long time IMHO. That will only happen if the outlets have more to lose by not doing so. So far they have little to fear on that score.

If in that hypothetical scenario where a media outlet did plagarise a post or posts of mine published on this website? I would pursue it further. I would contact Boards management so we could both pursue it from different angles. Knowing a few of the peeps at that end of things I'm quite sure they would too. They've done it before when a concert promoter started waving lawyers at them and the users. And they backed it up with time, effort and money from their pockets too. And got a change in precedent while they were at it. A win for the new media. That's not hype either. I dont buy into hype very often.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wouldn't really bother me, but would be common courtesy to ask first imo

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Wibbs wrote: »
    And they backed it up with time, effort and money from their pockets too. And got a change in precedent while they were at it. A win for the new media. That's not hype either. I dont buy into hype very often.

That's very interesting and encouraging to hear.

Is it documented anywhere?

Quoting directly from here is me thinks but following up on a post with PM and email is not perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Personally I'd love the option of deleting everything I've ever posted on this site.

That's very interesting and encouraging to hear.
    Yep it was. It was a small(in general public terms) victory, but a pretty big change in how the internet in Ireland can operate and what leeway it has. It made and will make a diff anyway.
    Is it documented anywhere?
    I dunno where, but it probably is. Maybe someone from the Boards office can point to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

My posts usually aren't sensible enough to be used as a proper quote, but i would stand by whatever i've posted in the past.

If, though, a journo contacted me for further info on something, unless it was something very close to my heart, i doubt i'd want anything to do with them. And i'd hate for a quote of mine to be taken totally out of context, which quite easily could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The thing that really pissed me off wasn't that he used my full name without permission, or that his article was almost a word for word copy & paste of my post, nor was it that the headline suggested that terraces were to return to stadiums when they weren't - it was that he said I was a Liverpool fan, when I've been a Man United fan for over 25 years.

We all have a cross to bear.

I once tried to organise an anti-government protest here in AH.
    Nobody turned up and some bitch of a journalist took the piss out of me.
    I was so upset that I committed suicide. Now that I'm dead, the bitch won't do it again.*

*Only part of this story is true.

Terry wrote: »
    We all have a cross to bear.

I once tried to organise an anti-government protest here in AH.
    Nobody turned up and some bitch of a journalist took the piss out of me.
    I was so upset that I committed suicide. Now that I'm dead, the bitch won't do it again.*

*Only part of this story is true.

Did you shout really loudly though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

You mean something like this for instance?

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9052/clampattack.jpg

Taken from my famous pranks thread!!

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055566064

I couldn't give a toss to be fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I've been quoted from boards and had excerpts of a blog I used to keep quoted too. It would have been nice to have a heads up, even if full permission wasn't sought. It was a bit surprising to open to paper and see myself quotes, I think it would have been polite to have let me known.

• Advertisement
Advertisement