Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comuter bike question ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Just my two cents here but I started on a 125 and got bored with it pretty quickly. It was a grand bike and all but if you ever want to bring the bike out of the city and have a spin on more open roads, a 125 often struggles (particularly if you're at all a biggish guy).

Would you consider something like a 250cc or even a larger restricted bike? I traded my 125 in two days ago for a factory-restricted ER-6f and I feckin love it! Something like a parallel or v-twin is often fairly light and narrow compared to other engine types - great for filtering between lanes in town.

Just something to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Have you much experience on bikes or is this your first time to use one?

How far is your commute into College? Is only a few miles or more?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭endurodave

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Just my two cents here but I started on a 125 and got bored with it pretty quickly. It was a grand bike and all but if you ever want to bring the bike out of the city and have a spin on more open roads, a 125 often struggles (particularly if you're at all a biggish guy).

Would you consider something like a 250cc or even a larger restricted bike? I traded my 125 in two days ago for a factory-restricted ER-6f and I feckin love it! Something like a parallel or v-twin is often fairly light and narrow compared to other engine types - great for filtering between lanes in town.

Just something to consider.

Dont get me wrong i would love a bigger bike but ill only have a learners permit so i think im restricted to a 125cc or is that not the case ?
    Im a big fella so by the sounds of things i could do with a torquier engine.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Have you much experience on bikes or is this your first time to use one?

How far is your commute into College? Is only a few miles or more?

I have absolutely no experience with bikes im a complete beginner its roughly 15 miles into collage give or take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

endurodave wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong i would love a bigger bike but ill only have a learners permit so i think im restricted to a 125cc or is that not the case ?
    Im a big fella so by the sounds of things i could do with a torquier engine.

I have absolutely no experience with bikes im a complete beginner its roughly 15 miles into collage give or take.

Just because you are on a learner permit, hopefully for the A category, you are not restricted to a 125. My first bike, like mainy, was a restricted 650 Bandit.

Have a read through the previous threads as there a few relating to "New to biking". They will outline the bikes you can get, the gear you will require, recommend lessons and overview of costs involved.

a 30 mile daily commute might be a bit much for a small bike, most likely 'cos you'll tire of it. Would definitely look at getting a bigger bike.

Don't forget to factor in insurance into the equation as I am guessing you are in the 18 - 20 age bracket.

Im 22 so insurance shouldn't be too hard on the likes of a 125 im really trying to keep running costs and insurance down so ill stick with the 125 for the moment but if the insurance and running costs are somewhat the same on a 250 i might opt for that.

Im going to read back through the forum now to see if i can find some info.

As with my first post are the likes of the Yamaha tdr 125 and the
    Honda Varadero 125 worth the money ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

what's your budget?

Roughly about 1000 for the bike and 500 for gear and what ever insurance is on top of that!

Honda Super4 is the bike you want then, and take your €500 off over to Cotters and they should look after you ;)

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Honda Super4 is the bike you want then, and take your €500 off over to Cotters and they should look after you ;)

cheers for the advise but is that a 400cc bike ?
    I want to keep costs down as much as possible id say they will crucify me on insurance.

You'd be surprised how cheap TPFT insurance would be on one.

• Advertisement

ill look into it ill have to see what the insurance say !
    id say the maintenance costs would be higher on it compared to a 125 right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Im 22 so insurance shouldn't be too hard on the likes of a 125 im really trying to keep running costs and insurance down so ill stick with the 125 for the moment but if the insurance and running costs are somewhat the same on a 250 i might opt for that.
    Depends on the bike. Quinn quoted me the same price for a Ninja 250 as for pretty much any factory-restricted 600/650. I guess because the power output ends up being the same, i.e. 33bhp/25KW, either way.

Your fuel costs will be lower on the 125. Depends on how much you have but to spend but also on how much you value being able to get around that bit faster (especially on open roads), having a greater road presence (can be helpful), etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

As with my first post are the likes of the Yamaha tdr 125 and the Honda Varadero 125 worth the money ?

Like the other guys I'd recommend a slightly bigger bike - much more comfort on the road, and depending on the bike insurance shouldn't be too much more. And you can take your A license test on it - no getting completely used to your 125 then having to change over to a random 250 school bike for the test.

But the Varadero is a nice looking bike, looks like a much bigger bike. Kind of a dual sport look if that's what you'd like. I walked by one in Dublin a while back and had to do a double take - it really didn't seem like a 125cc on first glance. (It was though, wasn't the bigger one....1000cc?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Can vouch for the Varadero, done me great service over 6 years and many thousands of miles. I believe it is still running and being used!:)

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Depends on the bike. Quinn quoted me the same price for a Ninja 250 as for pretty much any factory-restricted 600/650. I guess because the power output ends up being the same, i.e. 33bhp/25KW, either way.

Your fuel costs will be lower on the 125. Depends on how much you have but to spend but also on how much you value being able to get around that bit faster (especially on open roads), having a greater road presence (can be helpful), etc.

Tbh im only a beginner so ill keep to the 125 to be safe i have a car so i can get around when im not commuting so the speed thing isnt an issue im only going to be riding from lucan to town.
    MikeC101 wrote: »
    Like the other guys I'd recommend a slightly bigger bike - much more comfort on the road, and depending on the bike insurance shouldn't be too much more. And you can take your A license test on it - no getting completely used to your 125 then having to change over to a random 250 school bike for the test.

But the Varadero is a nice looking bike, looks like a much bigger bike. Kind of a dual sport look if that's what you'd like. I walked by one in Dublin a while back and had to do a double take - it really didn't seem like a 125cc on first glance. (It was though, wasn't the bigger one....1000cc?)

The reason im going for that type of bike (dual sport?) is the seating position.
    That's a very valid point about the test but i think ill stick to the 125 for now then move to the 250 with a bit more confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭multiscan

cheers for the advise but is that a 400cc bike ?
    I want to keep costs down as much as possible id say they will crucify me on insurance.

your insurance will be loaded anyway and i would imagine there will be small difference if any between underpowered 125cc and bikes like e.g. learner legal bros 400 for example ...and dont think CB400 is under 33bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

If you're worried about restrictions but want a good learner bike that's a bit more powerful than a 125 get a heavy cruiser. I've spent the last year on a Suzuki Marauder, the 250cc version which is a lot more reliable than the 125 version as I'm told. With a cruiser you have a lower centre of gravity for better balance to help you ease into corners.

cheers for the advice ill shy away from a cruiser. not for me. im looking at some 250s and 400s but it all depends on insurance really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 NitroHead91

cheers for the advice ill shy away from a cruiser. not for me. im looking at some 250s and 400s but it all depends on insurance really.

Varaderro 125 sounds perfects for your needs.... Although you will get bored on a 125 quite quickly....Get your one years no claims bonus and then move uo to a 250cc....That way you wont get crippled on insurance

Thats what i did and worked out well for me...

Advertisement