Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete n00b

Options
  • 26-08-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm just after downloading a 30 day trial of dreamweaver to mess about with and see could i get anywhere with it,basically - I just cant.

So,I know its a longshot,but is there any site like this :
    http://www.123-reg.co.uk/sitefusion/

That is simple to use but is free ? I used 123 reg before for a quick design and found it great ( wasnt site fusion but looks nearly the same,but i took the free option where you can only have 2-3 pages = not much use).

Thanks alot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Plebs

Put Dreamweaver in the bin.

If you're using Windows, I'd recommend using Notepad++.

And learn
    - HTML
    - Javascript, CSS
    - PHP
    - MySQL or MongoDB
    - AJAX, jQuery, HTML5, nodejs

In that order.

I'd also highly recommend using Linux instead of Windows. If you want to stick with windows, download WAMP.

p.s. I think Aptana is a great IDE for web design. Far superior to Dreamweaver. My philosophy is to only start using an IDE when working on a complex project and you need high productivity. For everything else, use a text editor with syntax highlighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Dont forget about CSS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Hey OP, while you're at it look into programming EPROM in hexadecimal...

Good lord people! OP only asked for advice on messing around with a piece of software - he's not looking for an MSc in Computer Science :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I'm with Cormee on this... for god sake, if he can't get to grips with Dreamweaver, he'd hardly going to be able to build a website with notepad++

Lmao_man - a lot of hosting companies will offer a free website builder as part of their hosting package. They offer an online system to help you build a simple website.

Dreamweaver helps you build the HTML code of a website, it's not used for designing graphics for a website. If you want to get into "web design", you'll need to learn a graphics program too.

But if you're just looking to build a simple website - check out your hosting company and see if they have anything similar to 123-reg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

As another guy just starting out I have to recomend http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/ Its a brilliant site, takes you right from the basics to some of the more advanced stuff. As somebody else said, dont use dreamweaver!

On a side note im sure ill be back here a bit looking for advice as my site progresses :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Dreamweaver is useful to speed up the HTML process, But pretty useless if you don't any.
    Some basic courses might teach you to just use the design view - where you draw boxes and put text in them - this is not how to make websites properly and is horrible practice.

there are so many good sites teaching you basic HTML and CSS. thats where you need to start.
    Text editor, and a browser, all you need.

Advertisement