Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How realistic is a sub 5 minute mile on the track?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

04072511 wrote: »
    Last saturday I did a 400m in 67 secs as a Time trial, but that was in road running shoes. I was told that with spikes and in a race with faster guys around me, I could probably get down to 63 seconds for 400m before doing any training to improve that time.

If you can run 67 seconds in shoes off no training sub 5 would be relatively easy ASSUMING you do a bit of mile specific training. Why don't you start base miles now and then race the mile meets in Australia in the new year. Timing looks perfect to me. Try and prove VR wrong. No excuses just do it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Last saturday I did a 400m in 67 secs as a Time trial, but that was in road running shoes. I was told that with spikes and in a race with faster guys around me, I could probably get down to 63 seconds for 400m before doing any training to improve that time.

You should have no problem so, in fact why not aim for 2:00 800 instead ... now there's a challenge :)

Robin, don't forget all the physio bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

If you can run 67 seconds in shoes off no training sub 5 would be relatively easy ASSUMING you do a bit of mile specific training. Why don't you start base miles now and then race the mile meets in Australia in the new year. Timing looks perfect to me. Try and prove VR wrong. No excuses just do it ;)

VR has a habit of being wrong.

Thats a good idea, but a slight problem is I'll be backpacking for 3 months before I get to Australia. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to go running high mileage down the streets of Rio de Janeiro and Lima. In reality I wont be able to start training properly until the end of december when I get to Melbourne. Maybe the mile meets will come too soon for me but I'll give it a go.

Sport101 wrote: »
    You should have no problem so, in fact why not aim for 2:00 800 instead ... now there's a challenge :)

Jaysus not even Sonia could manage to break 2.00. I think that one would be a tad out of reach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

If i am brutally honest unless you get two new legs a pair of lungs then no chance.
    To get from 5.56 to 5.40 might be doable but getting under 5.20 is unrealistic. sorry.
    Surprised at this....going from 4.56 to under 4.20 I would view as unrealistic.
    going from 5.56 to under 5.20 (or even under 5.00) would require training and determination, but is surely realistic (maybe optimistic) if the 5.56 was off no real training.

Fortune favours the brave!
    Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I dont think he was wrong, while i didnt particularly like his post above, on your log he was saying you werent going about training to achieve a decent marathon time. You can run a 67sec 400m yet ran a 4.xx marathon. He may have had a point. You might of only wanted to get through it though. You both have your own ideas. I think he was trying to help on your log as were others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Thats a good idea, but a slight problem is I'll be backpacking for 3 months before I get to Australia. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to go running high mileage down the streets of Rio de Janeiro and Lima. In reality I wont be able to start training properly until the end of december when I get to Melbourne. Maybe the mile meets will come too soon for me but I'll give it a go.
    I you really want to do a 5 min mile, you can.
    However if you can not fit the training around your life, then you can't.
    Was this a theoretical discussion or do you want to run a 5 min mile, if so when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Jaysus not even Sonia could manage to break 2.00. I think that one would be a tad out of reach :D

Thats one target I had but don't think Í would have ever been capable of Could manage the pace for 400 m but the legs always packed it in after 500m.. :(

That's fighting talk.

Getting through a marathon may be easier than hitting a very well defined track goal though. Still, it seems you could do it if you were willing to put a bit of work in. Maybe you need to change the title of this thread to "How much work do I need to put in to run a sub 5 minute mile?" or "How little work do I need to put in to run a sub 5 minute mile?"

As asked above are you actually going to try and do this or are you pondering about your potential greatness ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I dont think he was wrong, while i didnt particularly like his post above, on your log he was saying you werent going about training to achieve a decent marathon time. You can run a 67sec 400m yet ran a 4.xx marathon. He may have had a point. You might of only wanted to get through it though. You both have your own ideas. I think he was trying to help on your log as were others.

I looked this up...
    October: 13.50 Miles (Started 24th October) - Longest LSR - 5.75 Miles
    November: 60.70 Miles - Longest LSR - 10.05 Miles
    December: 51.65 Miles - Longest LSR - 13.35 Miles
    January: 48.25 Miles - Longest LSR - 16.25 Miles
    February: 62.35 Miles - Longest LSR - 18.00 Miles
    March: 80.55 Miles - Longest LSR - 21.05 Miles
    April: 19.00 Miles (Until 10th April) - Longest LSR - 7.30 Miles

Total: 336.00 Miles - Longest LSR - 21.05 Miles

You did 80 miles in your peak month, and you're wondering why MacMillan isn't predicting your marathon time well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

What time frame are you looking at to break 5min? As myflipflops said, the average joe on the street is capable of breaking 5min for the mile with training, but the average joe on the street won't do the training so therefore are unlikely to break 5min so its all hypothetical. If you started training now and persisted at it for a number of years, at some stage you will break 5min. How long that takes depends on the quality and consistency of your training and your natural talent. If you're a reasonably healthy 24/25 year old then should be no problem.

However, the fact that you say you would not be able to train while backpacking for 3 months means you actually are unlikely to do it now since you don't seem to have the resolve or real desire to do it. Why could you not run every day while backpacking???? I have run the streets of Rio without problem. You are highly unlikely to get mugged running along the copacabana in a pair of shorts. If you have an ipod on well then you're asking for it. Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today.

The majority of the 'talent' that runners running <5min miles and <3 hour marathons have is getting out running rather than making an excuse not to. Then its a combination of quality of training and quantity of training as to how low you can go. I don't think natural genetic talent comes into the equation until much much faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Gringo78 wrote: »
    The majority of the 'talent' that runners running <5min miles and <3 hour marathons have is getting out running rather than making an excuse not to. Then its a combination of quality of training and quantity of training as to how low you can go. I don't think natural genetic talent comes into the equation until much much faster.

Good post, completely agree.

Well he was wrong as he said I would die a horrible death in the marathon and would be in for a day of hell which wasnt true, I felt strong throughout and my pace didnt drop much. Anyway I'm not getting into petty arguments about that crap.

Yeh to be honest I just wanted to get through it and in a time of around 4 hours (I wasnt targeting 2:59 or 3:29) so I achieved my goal. In the future I'll have a higher goal and train better for it. But I prefer shorter distances and think I am better at them.

With regards do I want to try run a sub 5 minute mile, yes I do want to try. Just because I dont plan on starting that ASAP/ tomorrow doesnt mean I am not going to make a serious attempt at it in the near future! I was asking a question of how realistic is a sub 5 minute mile. Does it matter whether I start the training in 1 week or 3 months time? The question is the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

With regards do I want to try run a sub 5 minute mile, yes I do want to try. Just because I dont plan on starting that ASAP/ tomorrow doesnt mean I am not going to make a serious attempt at it in the near future! I was asking a question of how realistic is a sub 5 minute mile. Does it matter whether I start the training in 1 week or 3 months time? The question is the same!

Ok, so this was just a hypothetical discussion, pity - would have made for a good training log, interesting topic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Trying to help. I dont bullsh**. If you were 3 stone overweight and ran 5.56 then you would have a great chance if you did the training and lost hthe weight. I aint been personal but I just think you are been unrealistic.

I think 10 seconds for a mile is huge.I think you will get to 5.30 easily enogh but after that improvement is minimal. you have youth on your side. I wish you the best. I would like to see anyone doing it.
    Bringing up what i said on your log months ago shows great maturity.
    I didnt think you were putting in the miles and I was right.

67 seconds for 400 is impressive. But results in races is what its about.
    Try break 2.30 for 800 metres first.

Trying to help. I dont bullsh**.

Ha ha that much i know, i was largely trying to defend what you said in his log as it had some substance.

If you were 3 stone overweight and ran 5.56 then you would have a great chance if you did the training and lost hthe weight. I aint been personal but I just think you are been unrealistic.

I think 10 seconds for a mile is huge.I think you will get to 5.30 easily enogh but after that improvement is minimal. .

A 10 second improvement is big for the mile if you are running 4.25 and already training hard. A big improvement from 5.56 to 5 minutes is not that huge a leap if you train hard and train smart. I think the fact that the OP seems to do very little (if any??) training is just as relevant as if he was 3 stone overweight (ironically, this is how overweight I am right now!).

If the above were true, we wouldn't any quick milers in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

65 certainly anyway with spikes. They make a hell of a difference.

Shels that sub 6 was off zero mileage. I've been studying for finals so have been doing no training at all in recent months. Just the odd run on the track here and there.

If you ran 67 seconds for 400 metres last sat and yet you only managed 89 seconds a lap for a mile.......Call me Niaive but it seems that its plucked out of the sky...........A lad that can run 67 for 400 metres could stop and have a pi** and still run 5.56 for a mile. 90 Seconds a lap must feel like walking as he/she is 5-6 seconds slower for every 100 metres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

If you ran 67 seconds for 400 metres last sat and yet you only managed 89 seconds a lap for a mile.......Call me Niaive but it seems that its plucked out of the sky...........A lad that can run 67 for 400 metres could stop and have a pi** and still run 5.56 for a mile. 90 Seconds a lap must feel like walking as he/she is 5-6 seconds slower for every 100 metres.

I'm not sure i'd agree with that totally on a 1 off i know i'd run a fast 400m maybe not 67 second but would be under 75 seconds easy enough. But i'd find it hard to run a sub 6 min mile at the moment.

It would depend on how the runner is built I think that extra fat really come to play come lap 3-4 of a mile race , but you can almost ignor it over 400m.

When i went sub 5 my 400 reps would have been done in 69/71 pace range but what would have been only for 6-8 reps .
    But 67 is quick....

It DOES matter when you want to start training for it. The fact that you will start training for it in a few months time rather than now and also the fact that you question whether its realistic all mean that you're looking to achieve short term results - i.e you want the answer, "yes, you can do it in 12 weeks" but something else will probably get in the way of your training and you'll ditch the attempt if you're not getting close. If you had the attitude, well I'll run 20-30 miles per week between now and when I get to melbourne, I'll get 4-5 runs a week in while backpacking, I'll watch the weight, find a local race when I arrive in melbourne, 12 weeks of mile specific training and target it then I'd say, yeah, you'll probably break 5min no hassle.

If someone asked me whether they could break 3 hours in Cork marathon in June 2011 on a P&D 55mpw 18 week plan having run a 40min 10k last week, I'd say it all depends on what they do between now and Feb 2011. If the goal only becomes serious 18 weeks out from the marathon then they have less chance of success.

By the way, people would be very surprised at what they could achieve on say 4-5 years of continuous training. There are elite athletes thinking now about what they need to do to get the line in the best shape possible in Rio 2016 - an injury of 3-4 weeks during the period would have them seriously worried about their plans. Most amateurs are too caught up in short term goals, they will never achieve anywhere close to their potential because they set short term goals, they set the bar too low quitting once they acheive that, or set the bar too high for a short time frame and quit because they don't get results fast enough. Work gets results, not talent. Tigers first round of golf was not a 65, and he won his first major 15 years? after first picking up a golf club. Roger Bannisters first mile was not sub 4.

• Advertisement

Call me Niaive but it seems that its plucked out of the sky............

What do you mean by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Whats the best way to reduce a mile time? Im reasonably fit through boxing and a little running to keep up with the boxing but i havent trained in the last 6-7 weeks due to broken ribs.
    Ran once or twice in the last week (only 2x4 miles at 7:30-8 mins a mile pace to ease back into things). Decided after reading this thread to see how quick i could run the mile, it was on a hilly enough road (as much down as up overall) and did it in 6min 2 secs.
    For mile specific training is it reccommended to work speed or more to concentrate on building up base miles for the endurance?

... and by that logic you could say that because David Gillick can run a 44.77 400m he could stop and have a pi** and still run a 4:30 for a mile. 67 seconds a lap must feel like walking when he is 5 seconds slower for every 100 metres :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Gringo78 wrote: »
    It DOES matter when you want to start training for it. The fact that you will start training for it in a few months time rather than now and also the fact that you question whether its realistic all mean that you're looking to achieve short term results - i.e you want the answer, "yes, you can do it in 12 weeks" but something else will probably get in the way of your training and you'll ditch the attempt if you're not getting close. If you had the attitude, well I'll run 20-30 miles per week between now and when I get to melbourne, I'll get 4-5 runs a week in while backpacking, I'll watch the weight, find a local race when I arrive in melbourne, 12 weeks of mile specific training and target it then I'd say, yeah, you'll probably break 5min no hassle.

If someone asked me whether they could break 3 hours in Cork marathon in June 2011 on a P&D 55mpw 18 week plan having run a 40min 10k last week, I'd say it all depends on what they do between now and Feb 2011. If the goal only becomes serious 18 weeks out from the marathon then they have less chance of success.

By the way, people would be very surprised at what they could achieve on say 4-5 years of continuous training. There are elite athletes thinking now about what they need to do to get the line in the best shape possible in Rio 2016 - an injury of 3-4 weeks during the period would have them seriously worried about their plans. Most amateurs are too caught up in short term goals, they will never achieve anywhere close to their potential because they set short term goals, they set the bar too low quitting once they acheive that, or set the bar too high for a short time frame and quit because they don't get results fast enough. Work gets results, not talent. Tigers first round of golf was not a 65, and he won his first major 15 years? after first picking up a golf club. Roger Bannisters first mile was not sub 4.

Very good post Gringo and I think I definitely fit the profile of short term goal seeker. Time to adjust my thinking, me thinks.

Also from reading a few of your posts of late, your starting to emerge as a philosopher of sorts :D
    A new career path maybe?

shels4ever wrote: »
    I'm not sure i'd agree with that totally on a 1 off i know i'd run a fast 400m maybe not 67 second but would be under 75 seconds easy enough. But i'd find it hard to run a sub 6 min mile at the moment.

It would depend on how the runner is built I think that extra fat really come to play come lap 3-4 of a mile race , but you can almost ignor it over 400m.

When i went sub 5 my 400 reps would have been done in 69/71 pace range but what would have been only for 6-8 reps .
    But 67 is quick....
    I can kind of see where VR is coming from though, 22 seconds a lap slower every lap for just over 4 laps. Seems like a big difference to me. Either the OP has some serious speed and need to focus on 200m - 400m or something aint quite right. 67 seconds seems a bit quick for the to be honest.

Seriously OP if you reckon you can run 65 off no training you ve wasted 3 months training for a 4.xx marathon

... and by that logic you could say that because David Gillick can run a 44.77 400m he could stop and have a pi** and still run a 4:30 for a mile. 67 seconds a lap must feel like walking when he is 5 seconds slower for every 100 metres :rolleyes:

Funny you should mention Mr Gillick. Have a look at his mile split here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was talking to my physio about this on monday. He says Gillick can run a 4:10 mile and has done so in training many times. He himself, a former 200m-400m man could run 4:27 in his hey day.

So yes Gillick could stop for a piss and still run a 4:30 mile :D

Edit ^^^^^^^ RR got there before me, remember the above was back in 2003, he is faster now, and even faster on track

Woddle wrote: »
    Also from reading a few of your posts of late, your starting to emerge as a philosopher of sorts :D

I'm a dreamer woddle, nothing but a dreamer

Funny you should mention Mr Gillick. Have a look at his mile split here :)

I once watched Gillick do a session of 3X600 on the track in the middle of a tough warm weather training week. He went 90, 90, 83 and wasn't pushing himself too hard. This was maybe a year before he broke through and won the 1st of his Euro Indoor titles.

There was a big gap between reps but his aerobic capacity was impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Myflipflops talks sense, it's very achievable. It's not some amazing barrier, let's not dumb down the sport too much. A young lad like yourself should be grand.

Also, on the 400 to mile correlation etc, Michael Johnson used to do miles in early transition phase training. I think his best was 5:07 or 5:11 or something like that.

Advertisement