Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How realistic is a sub 5 minute mile on the track?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

gerard65 wrote: »
    Good man. Now stick up a log so we can all rip your training to shreads:D

Deal.

I will start it on Monday when I am due to weigh myself for the weight loss challenge thread (I am genuinely 17 stone!) so i can log my current abilities and I can set a specific time limit.

All criticism will be more than welcome. I've always found this forum one where you can disagree with people without it turning into a petty arguement. I can be critical but also will be more than willing to accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

04072511 wrote: »
    I think this is the one you are talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZrXo90uIW4

He's an uncle of one of my mates actually.

Crazy that he thought he could run a sub 4 over 40 especially considering only one man has ever done that! :D It actually sums up the lack of knowledge the general public in Ireland have of elite athletics!

I just watched this again and I actually think it is insulting to the sport at the elite level that somebody could think he could just walk off the street at the age of 40 and after 1 years training run a sub 4 minute mile. A bit off topic with regards this thread but it seems the general public have no idea on earth how good the likes of Coghlan, Flynn, Cram, Coe etc were because if they did you wouldnt see things like this.

Fair play to him getting sub 5 though. He did seem to have a big setup in place though (getting the opportunity to run with top athletes etc) which had to have made it easier. How many of the average joe would get that opportunity?

PVincent wrote: »

After your four week base training is over you will need to do speed work. I suggest 400's. This is one lap around the track, multiple times, slightly faster than your goal race pace. So since you are trying to run a 5 minute mile you would run your 400's at about 70 - 74 second pace. 5 min mile = 75 second pace for 4 laps.

Maybe I'm being petty but I wonder how many people forget about the other 9 metres. If you run 4 laps at 75 seconds you will not break the 5 minute barrier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

gerard65 wrote: »
    What I was thinking aswell. Alas, at 45 my days of sub5 miles are a distance memory:(. I ran 5:38 this year so maybe 5:30 is a possibity next year if I start training for it now.
    You don't need big milage to run a sub 5 mile, I never did anymore than 30 miles per week, with a longest run of 8 or 9 miles but we did alot of rep/interval type work and hill sprints.
    Pity the OP is off for a few months as I'd have like to see how he'd get on, but maybe someone else will take up the challenge - male of female.

Well i'm hoping to be running some track next summer all going well, so might give it a shot too.. but would need to drop 3 stone to have a crack at sub 5..

• Advertisement

that link above is for fun ....

sorry myflipflops...I'm with others on this ...there is no way if you picked 10 healthy males that all of them would do sub 5 with proper training ...1 would be a good result
    ...if you got 10 in one running club, it would be a bloody good club...

I'm sorry to tell you that sub 5 is not very very average as you suggest ...your comment I would say offends a lot of very good runners who work hard week in week out ....4 laps at 75 seconds sounds OK but when you try that its a totally different proposition

however that said, good luck firstly with weight loss and secondly with your desire to prove us all wrong

After your four week base training is over you will need to do speed work. I suggest 400's. This is one lap around the track, multiple times, slightly faster than your goal race pace. So since you are trying to run a 5 minute mile you would run your 400's at about 70 - 74 second pace. 5 min mile = 75 second pace for 4 laps.

Maybe I'm being petty but I wonder how many people forget about the other 9 metres. If you run 4 laps at 75 seconds you will not break the 5 minute barrier!

You would cover that in about 2 seconds so in training if you can run 75's then its 74.5 in a race not a big deal anyway. To be honest I think your better off getting in sap then racing a 2 mile, if your caugh up too much in the time you wont run as well..

that link above is for fun ....

sorry myflipflops...I'm with others on this ...there is no way if you picked 10 healthy males that all of them would do sub 5 with proper training ...1 would be a good result
    ...if you got 10 in one running club, it would be a bloody good club...

I'm sorry to tell you that sub 5 is not very very average as you suggest ...your comment I would say offends a lot of very good runners who work hard week in week out ....4 laps at 75 seconds sounds OK but when you try that its a totally different proposition

however that said, good luck firstly with weight loss and secondly with your desire to prove us all wrong

I think the point is an average person can do it with more then average work, problem is most people dont put the hard work in making it an above average time.
    I used to race 1,2 mile on road more then 15 years ago and would havebeen way down the field running in around the 5 min mark there were at least 12-15 people going sub 5 .

still maintain that you need good athletic and aerobic ability ....what do you set the bar at for Average ??? but I do agree with you bout working hard and committment

15 years ago the 5mins may have been the Average and the stats of race times proves that , because in those days we had less choices in life , we were less busy , we valued our sport more , we worked harder at our chosen sport and that was just you and me the average guy ....nowadays the average guy is so far removed from that , they wont committ , they are afraid of pain , they look for excuses to miss a session , they want their pints after work etc etc ,so average is now a lot more average than 15years ago

still maintain that you need good athletic and aerobic ability ....what do you set the bar at for Average ??? but I do agree with you bout working hard and committment

15 years ago the 5mins may have been the Average and the stats of race times proves that , because in those days we had less choices in life , we were less busy , we valued our sport more , we worked harder at our chosen sport and that was just you and me the average guy ....nowadays the average guy is so far removed from that , they wont committ , they are afraid of pain , they look for excuses to miss a session , they want their pints after work etc etc ,so average is now a lot more average than 15years ago

Yep have to agree with that.

• Advertisement

:confused: And Ireland was full of pioneers in 1995?? ;)

Some of what you say is true though. Too many kids playing PS3's and XBoxes these days. When I was 9 or 10 all I did was spend the entire day outside! That feeds into their adulthood.

It shouldn't offend anyone.

Firstly, I believe it's an very average athletics feat for a certain type of person that trains properly for it - a healthy male between the ages of 17 and 34 maybe. That in itself rules out plenty of runners.

I also wouldn't degrade it as a personal achievement for people. If i manage it, I will be proud to have gotten there from my currrent state. I will have to work hard and will consider it a considerable achievement for me. I will probably boast about it!! That won't make it any higher quality of an athletic accomplishment in relation to what is possible.

And Ireland was full of pioneers in 1995??

agreed we weren't saints ...the point in those days was that the pints occurred after you had played the match or run the race etc ...you took it easy during the week because you were training ...and it probably was just pints anyway ...a little different to the stuff these kids are putting thro their system now

I will watch your progress with great interest ....your comments about it being an average achievement would be very much in the minority amongst people involved in the sport or any sport for a long time ...the average healthy male is not athlete and I think that is the point you miss ...to achieve that target you MUST have a certain capacity and ability ...and I think that is what all of us who disagree with you are saying ....

I will watch your progress with great interest ....your comments about it being an average achievement would be very much in the minority amongst people involved in the sport or any sport for a long time ...the average healthy male is not athlete and I think that is the point you miss ...to achieve that target you MUST have a certain capacity and ability ...and I think that is what all of us who disagree with you are saying ....

I see what you're saying. It's a fair arguement, just one that i disagree with.

The average male is not an athlete.

The average male after 6 months of proper training can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The 4:32 in the Universities' road relays was done in Maynooth. The distance is NOT accurate. It may be as short as 1500m.

I agree with a lot you say before but this is sacrilege on the holy grounds of St Patrick's Maynooth. That loop is bang on a mile. I train on it at least twice a week and my Garmin 405 says its accurate :D.

I'm lying, the loop is actually 1604 metres. Has been measured multiple independent times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Jesus this thread has gone way OT regarding what the average Joe can do etc. Yes sub 5 will be easier for some than others. Yes training and natural ability are factors.

Haven't read all the threads fully but regarding Michael Johnson running 5.10 miles. I'm sure he was doing reps. On a one off flat out mile he could probably go faster.

Getting back to the OP. He has run 67 seconds for 400 metres. Assuming he doesn't pile on the pounds while off traveling, any fecker who has a clue about athletics could give him an 8-10 week program that would allow him to run sub 5 minutes at a canter. In my opinion the OP wouldn't even have to do track sessions. With basic leg speed like that an increase in aerobic training would go a huge way to getting close to 5 minutes.

@04072511 when you hit Australia send me a PM and I'll give you a program and we can end this debate definitively. The proof of the pudding is in the eating !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Great thread this and A1 posts. It has got me interested now in what I could do with this mile distance. I may even start a log for a sub 5 min mile also and feck the 5k distance :)
    I just ran 300m in 43 secs as a time trial with a mate, after 6 weeks training done from scratch. Will strive to dip under 5 mins before year is out, watch out for log !

Getting back to the OP. He has run 67 seconds for 400 metres. Assuming he doesn't pile on the pounds while off traveling, any fecker who has a clue about athletics could give him an 8-10 week program that would allow him to run sub 5 minutes at a canter. In my opinion the OP wouldn't even have to do track sessions. With basic leg speed like that an increase in aerobic training would go a huge way to getting close to 5 minutes.
    !

The. Nail. Head. Hit. On. The.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'd put sub 5 for the mile in the same category as sub 3 for the marathon - achieveable with the right focus, dedication, effort and a sprinkle of talent. Let's kick off a sub 5min mile mentored thread to add a bit of balance to the marathon weighting on the forum - would be good to launch in the spring when training should become more specific to your target and with the BHAA trinity and Aviva races for the East Coast folks not AAI reg'd, there's a nice 6 week gap between those along with the graded meets, plenty of opportunity to shoot for it.
    Could be a little project for our newest Mod (Ecoli) with plently of current and previous experience on here to chip in.
    It was a target of mine this year, having run around 4:30 aged 17 and 4:48 aged 30, ran 5:10 off HM training in May which was a 10 sec improvement from last year, but injury has pushed that out until next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I'd put sub 5 for the mile in the same category as sub 3 for the marathon - achieveable with the right focus, dedication, effort and a sprinkle of talent. .

Ability wise yes, but would be much harder to get the average Joe to do the long runs required without getting injured so more likely to have a high success rate of getting average joes running 5min miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

your comments about it being an average achievement would be very much in the minority amongst people involved in the sport or any sport for a long time

It is average. What sport are you talking about that says it wouldn't be, athletics? There is too much average around now and we accept it. Lets call a spade a spade, a 5 min mile is decidedly average running for a healthy male in his 20s. You can dress it up whatever way you want through lifestyle issues or changes in demographics but if it was average 20 years ago, its still average now. Those things you talk about that have changed are due to laziness. Such laziness shouldn't be allowed to lower the bar.

If an athlete gets insulted by someone saying a 5 min mile is merely average, they need to take a hard luck at themselves. Lets stop making excuses for mediocrity. This is going to be my new pet project, not celebrating mediocrity:D I'm off to do some 4:05 mile repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

That was the best breakfast read I've had for a long time :)

Now, the only problem is, trying to remember all the comments that I want to respond to :rolleyes:

Let's see, poster who said he is 45 so his days of running sub 5 are behind him, bulls**t ! I'm also at that wonderful age and hope to do it in a few weeks.

Glad origional post covered the fact that the guy who wantd to run sub 4 and 'only' did 4:59 had a large support team behind him, not to mention that he also put in the training.

Re can it be done, I agree with the general consensus that seems to have came out of all this. It can be done, but it is very hard work for most people. The average Joe cannot do it. I run regularly with lads who came from a footy or GAA background and considered themselves fit, but once they stepped onto a track for an interval sessions they were left clutching their knees. But there is a lad now who has trained hard for the past 2 years and has gone sub 5 ml, sub 17 5K, sub 36 10K & sub 3 marathon, and he turned 40 last December. On the flip side of this, I also know of lads who have trained equally hard and have not got near those times. Spot the difference :rolleyes:

Personally, I think that the best way to go about it is to get a good base in of a few months of good build up of mileage, once you've got the base start throwing in tempo runs and some hills, then hit the track for your 400m intervals. Last winter we were doing 16 x 400m off 30secs/rec in 80-82secs. This spring we changed it to 8 x 400m off 75secs in 72/73secs.

Would definitely be interested in getting onto a sub 5min thread though, I am also battling the sub 3 marathon so this should be fun :D

Tingle wrote: »
    It is average. What sport are you talking about that says it wouldn't be, athletics? There is too much average around now and we accept it. Lets call a spade a spade, a 5 min mile is decidedly average running for a healthy male in his 20s. You can dress it up whatever way you want through lifestyle issues or changes in demographics but if it was average 20 years ago, its still average now. Those things you talk about that have changed are due to laziness. Such laziness shouldn't be allowed to lower the bar.

If an athlete gets insulted by someone saying a 5 min mile is merely average, they need to take a hard luck at themselves. Lets stop making excuses for mediocrity. This is going to be my new pet project, not celebrating mediocrity:D I'm off to do some 4:05 mile repeats.

Let's define average. Take 100 or a 1000 random people in their 20's and see how many of them can at the moment run a sub 5. I think it would be a very, very small percentage.
    Take a group of them who are willing to put in the training for 6mts-1yr and now check the results. The number will have gone up or course.

If you had done the same test 20-30yrs ago, your initial results would have shown a higher percentage due to lifestyle etc.

I think all the guy was saying is that unfortunately in this day & age, with all the distractions that are out there, people are not prepared to put in the work. When I was a kid I was one of the slowest in our training grour from our parish, and I could get under 4:40 for the mile at 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Speedy44 wrote: »
    That was the best breakfast read I've had for a long time :)

Now, the only problem is, trying to remember all the comments that I want to respond to :rolleyes:

Let's see, poster who said he is 45 so his days of running sub 5 are behind him, bulls**t ! I'm also at that wonderful age and hope to do it in a few weeks.

Glad origional post covered the fact that the guy who wantd to run sub 4 and 'only' did 4:59 had a large support team behind him, not to mention that he also put in the training.

Re can it be done, I agree with the general consensus that seems to have came out of all this. It can be done, but it is very hard work for most people. The average Joe cannot do it. I run regularly with lads who came from a footy or GAA background and considered themselves fit, but once they stepped onto a track for an interval sessions they were left clutching their knees. But there is a lad now who has trained hard for the past 2 years and has gone sub 5 ml, sub 17 5K, sub 36 10K & sub 3 marathon, and he turned 40 last December. On the flip side of this, I also know of lads who have trained equally hard and have not got near those times. Spot the difference :rolleyes:

Personally, I think that the best way to go about it is to get a good base in of a few months of good build up of mileage, once you've got the base start throwing in tempo runs and some hills, then hit the track for your 400m intervals. Last winter we were doing 16 x 400m off 30secs/rec in 80-82secs. This spring we changed it to 8 x 400m off 75secs in 72/73secs.

Would definitely be interested in getting onto a sub 5min thread though, I am also battling the sub 3 marathon so this should be fun :D

I like this post. Positivity is the way to go for this endeavour. I'm sure I will do it and I am in the same age group.
    I am a believer in The Pygmalion Effect and this is what will get results.

Today I ran 5:56 off no training really (the odd run on the track here and there. About 3 days on the track spread over the last 2 weeks or so). I used spikes and a garmin to help with my pacing. If I was in a race with faster runners around me I'm sure I could shave another 10-15 seconds off that time, but what do I have to do to get a sub 5 minute mile? How realistic is it to achieve?

Not sure where your located, but meant to tell you that there is an accurately measured graded mile meet in Galway this evening. Its a fast course as well so if you were able to make it you may be able to shave some more seconds off your time. There will be lots of company to pull you through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Ability wise yes, but would be much harder to get the average Joe to do the long runs required without getting injured so more likely to have a high success rate of getting average joes running 5min miles.

Probably more likely to get injured doing 2-3 interval/rep sessions per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

:confused: And Ireland was full of pioneers in 1995?? ;)

Some of what you say is true though. Too many kids playing PS3's and XBoxes these days. When I was 9 or 10 all I did was spend the entire day outside! That feeds into their adulthood.
    Am i the only one who kind finds it a bit hilarious that you are adding to PVincents comments on hard work, dedication, giving up a bit of their life etc when in your log which i quoted before you were the person saying - im 24, i dont wanna train more as im not prepared to give up my social life..... alot must have changed in last year. and like others said backpacking and the like seems more a priority.

Id add to the above that i think you can do it tho, as im sure a majority could with 6months- year of very dedicated training. the problem is how many are prepared to do the dedicated training and how many will survive it without getting injured. To me they are the real questions.

Id happily stick up a log and go for it myself, but unfortunately id know my achilles would get in the way

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Am i the only one who kind finds it a bit hilarious that you are adding to PVincents comments on hard work, dedication, giving up a bit of their life etc when in your log which i quoted before you were the person saying - im 24, i dont wanna train more as im not prepared to give up my social life..... alot must have changed in last year. and like others said backpacking and the like seems more a priority.

Ah here for god sake. I'm 25 going on a trip of a lifetime. Give me a break! I'll be settled in this rip-off country for long enough, and will have all the time to run 'average' sub 5 minute miles for the next whatever years of my life. Dont make me feel guilty for enjoying a few months travellin the world :rolleyes:

And I was referring to kids not doing any exercise AT ALL! We actually have the fattest kids in Europe now (according to an article from Ian O'Riordan). They sit around on the couch playing PS2's all day. Back when I was a kid, we played football all day long on the street. Thats the point I'm making. If yu think I'm lazy (probably am a little at the moment, but I'm sure that will change as I get older) then wait till you see the next generation in 20 years time. They wont be able to do sub 10 minute miles, not to mention sub 5!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Let's see, poster who said he is 45 so his days of running sub 5 are behind him, bulls**t !
    Me. Am a well known bulls**ter:D I don't really think I could do it now but I had planned to focus solely on the track next year and have planned to start a new log after xmas for this purpose.
    Its great that this thread has gained legs and we have a few posters up for it. I hope it can continue to grow, we've seen the top notch advice that's here for the longer distance events but as an athletes forum we've lacked descussion on the shorter distances.
    I wondered if those new to the sport and find themselves here often think the only way you can claim to be a real runner is to run marathons.
    You never know, we might even have some of the marathon and mountain running diehards turning up for a track race next year;)

Advertisement