Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computing power

• 26-08-2010 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

In regards to moores law which states that computing power doubles every 2 years......when will it stop?

Some say as soon as 2015? What do you think?

What will we do then? Improve the architecture of processors? Watch as computers get bigger and bigger as more and more processors are put into them?

What do you say?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

It's more the amount of transistors that can placed on an integrated circuit doubles

I guess it will continue on another while. Technology is still the same its just getting smaller, eventually you physically can't make transistors smaller than atoms. Maybe some other technology will take over or new processes can be used to get the same effect or make the law no longer relevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Well they are working on quantum computers but at present the best they can do is simple multiplication. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

A lot of the bottlenecks in computers these days are from storage.
    When solid state drives become more mainstream the prices will drop.

Until then, reading and writing to hard disks and usb drives are painfully slow in comparison to the CPU speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Good old Moore's Law, he has stated himself that he reckons there is only about another 10 to 20 years left in it. Intel and other manufacturers are also getting close to the minimum die size as they cant get lasers reliable to manufacture anything smaller than 29nm. Interesting times ahead though with the likes of quantum and optical computing over the horizon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Moore's 'Law' was always more of a theory anyways. Hence the move into multi-processing. However I think that advances in chip architecture has been held up by the masses simply not requiring any more power than what is currently available. It doesn't take much power to surf the net and write word documents. Adding more RAM can usually speed up a PC better than a faster CPU can. There is a trend now for more energy efficient CPUs, look at the Intel Atom line. Couple that with less power hungry storage devices and there is a whole new roadmap there for netbooks, tablet PCs and smartphones.

As for the cutting edge, the challenge is there for programmers to take full advantage of multi-core CPUs, not an easy task but one that is necessary to fully realise the potential of the new chips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,243 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well you know, chips keep getting smaller and smaller. Few more years at the very least. We measure circuits by the nanometer at this point, and that trend will continue for quite some time. Its known as Nanolithography, and yes, lithography is that thing you did in art class that one time. Same basic principle.

the smaller the circuit, the less power and space (And heat) required to do the same amount of work. in the 90s and early 00s we were dealing with processors that used micrometers as a measure and in 2003 we saw the 90nm process emerge. Companies are now unveiling the 32nm process. It will probably be years and years before the 1nm process is unveiled and then once thats done expect to see the 90 micron process emerge. And so on. And so forth. Moore's Law seems slated to outlast binary computing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer

After that, all bets are off.

So what will this mean for the price of computers? Will they remain around the same price? Increase or decrease?

Will we in the near future have computers powerful enough so that last for 10 years or more for the average person? By that I mean will they be able to run most software and OS for years to come?

Will advances in the hardware outstrip advances in software?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Crikey, tried reading the wiki article on quantum computing! I didnt last long! Anyone wanna explain it to me?? :o

Beyond me too I'm afraid!

Advertisement