Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running club - S.Dublin??

Options
  • 26-08-2010 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all

Lokoing to imprve my running (half marathon currently 1h 24ish). Wouldnt mind structured training but which club woulod accommodarte the likes of me? Was thinking of either Donore harriers or Sportsworld as ím based in the D12 area...anyone any experience with these clubs (or others in the South/WEst Dublin area) or will i keep just hacking arouns the park not really improving??

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Both clubs you mentioned are very good and you'd have no problem fitting in with a half-marathon time of 84mins. You could also look at Rathfarnham WSAF, Tallaght AC and Dundrum South Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

ahem ....my half marathon time was a bit ambitious there - should read 1 h 44, 8 min miles :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

PM sent there Ciaran.

Still no problem, all clubs are happy to have new members. Sportsworld seem to be the biggest with a more diverse range of standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

Thanks for the responses lads. I wouldve thought donore were a bigger set up than sportsworld Gerard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

I'm thinking of joining a club on the Southside too, but I'm down in Killiney, any suggestions for that area?

Is it worth joining a club if you've no real running experience. I'm 32 and did a bit of middle distance and cross country in school, very little really. I did the Aware (supposed to be 10km race turned out to be 9km) last December and now I'm looking to so a bit more as I'm training for an adventure run in September and would like to keep at it after that. Is there a place in a club for every level of ability?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

Sprocket77,

I would say its well worth your while. I am 32 and did not do any athletics until after my 30th birthday (I was a weekend warrior cyclist when I was younger but only for fun).

I had been running about a year by the time I joined my club, Celbridge (I know its no where near you, just as an example) last year.

To give you some context, I ran last years Adidas series with 5 mile @ 42 minutes; 10 mile @ 80 minutes and half @ 1:43:xx
    With the benefit of quality training at the club I have so far this year done the 4.9 miler @ 32:25 and the 10 miler @ 72:47

I am pretty sure you would see these improvements yourself with the structure of a club.

Sprocket77 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of joining a club on the Southside too, but I'm down in Killiney, any suggestions for that area?

Is it worth joining a club if you've no real running experience. I'm 32 and did a bit of middle distance and cross country in school, very little really. I did the Aware (supposed to be 10km race turned out to be 9km) last December and now I'm looking to so a bit more as I'm training for an adventure run in September and would like to keep at it after that. Is there a place in a club for every level of ability?
    Would Bray be handy to you?
    http://www.brayrunners.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

gerard65 wrote: »
    Would Bray be handy to you?
    http://www.brayrunners.com/

Good idea, Shanganagh Park is pretty close alright. Still a little nervous about going training with experienced runners though, low embarressment threshold don't you know

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Meredith

Hi Sprocket

I just came across this thread, I know it's a few months old but just wondering if you ever tried the Bray running club? I used to be in a running club when I was a kid and would love to get into something again but just to get fitter and have fun too. I keep talking about doing something but haven't got around to doing anything about it :D

Thks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Meredith wrote: »
    Hi Sprocket

I just came across this thread, I know it's a few months old but just wondering if you ever tried the Bray running club? I used to be in a running club when I was a kid and would love to get into something again but just to get fitter and have fun too. I keep talking about doing something but haven't got around to doing anything about it :D

Thks

I'm involved with Bray, PM me if you have any questions or would like to join one of the training sessions.

Advertisement