Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Halogen bulbs?

Options
  • 26-08-2010 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

I know they're sold everywhere but does anyone know where I can buy reasonably priced 50w halogen bulbs? I need about 10 of them and the going rate seems to be >Eur5 each.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

An electrical wholesalers. Whereabouts are you? (am on the mobile so can't see if you've a location sorry).
    Where i used to work, we sold them at 2.90each or so less a discount, for a mains version.
    Are they mains or low voltage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

In Dublin.

I presume they're mains as they're sunk in to the ceilings in my house. Bloody things don't last very long!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You need to take one out to see if they are 230v or 12v.

If they dont last long, i suggest you check that the fibreglass isnt too close around them. Should be at least 100mm back in each diretion

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

Lidl Stores next week (Thurs) 2nd Sept. Halogen bulbs @ €1.99ea.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Go to the likes of Kellihers or Eastern Electrical-there's branches of them all over Dublin. And they sell decent brands.

And yep you need to take one out to see if you're not sure whether they're mains or lv. If they have just two straight pins on the end and just push in,they're low voltage, if there's like two round ends on them and you've to push and turn them in, they're mains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

Kellihers sell them in ballymount. Keep away from Lidl or Aldi. If they are mains power lamps , i would suggest getting Robus 3w led gu10 lamps , not cheap at 7 quid each but average lamp has a 20,000 hour life span or 13 years. would be cheaper to change 1 by 1 as they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

dave45dave wrote: »
    i would suggest getting Robus 3w led gu10 lamps , not cheap at 7 quid each but average lamp has a 20,000 hour life span or 13 years. would be cheaper to change 1 by 1 as they go.

Just wondering if these 3W LEDs give the same light 50W Halogens?
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that they don't but am open to correction. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

They are not as bright as standard 50w , but in saying that ive changed my whole house out (approx 40) and it doesnt seem to be any darker , or we have just got used to them. But you will see it in your electricity bill , were saving an average of 50 euro every 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Energysavers.ie

I'd go for a good quality GU10 like Osram/Phillips/GE and they are as cheap as chips these days about €1.60 ea. but these are expensive to run,

Led options for you are cluster type 20/30 leds in a bulb ratwed at 3 watts per bulb. The Warm White lamps are best for living/dining rooms but you will sacrifce light output.
    OR
    GE have a cracking 4 watt single led lamp I have them in my kitchen.

Big savings on your bill (think about it 3 -4 watts inplace of a 50 watt thats 17 lamps running at costs for one of yours) a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭windyboy

Hi,

I am building new house and have alot of recessed lights and have to decide what to go for soon. How much are the GE LEDs including fitting?

Windyboy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Energysavers.ie

GE 4 Watt leds are around the €15 ea mark (sounds expensive but they last for years and have a very low running cost).

The fittings themselves are cheap as chips mains voltage or low voltage available. Robus do a good range in various finishes brght chrome/ stainless steel etc. Available from your local wholesaler where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭windyboy

Hi,

We are in northwest, we will have approx 70 recessed lights. Do they come in dimmable. My architect had advised halogens as to date he wasn't happy with the LEDs warmth. How does the GE Led compare for warmth? Are there good discounts for this type of quantity?

Windyboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 darren atticastatic

Removed-

OP there is a list of wholesalers around ireland and online here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67859645&posted=1#

You will find what you are looking for with there.

Regards Stoner.

Advertisement