Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl's "Permanent" price cuts

Options
  • 26-08-2010 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

lidl have so called permanent price cuts advertised on their site.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.Price_Cuts.Index

are we to believe that they are going to stay at this price forever, and never return to their previous price? because that is certainly what is implied

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

are we to believe that they are going to stay at this price forever, and never return to their previous price? because that is certainly what is implied

Yes, I think that's what "permanent" usually means, and it doesn't seem to be implied either.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

so not like tescos price cuts then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Nothing is really that permanent in Lidl. If you want to change the price just change the brand and what good is a permanent price cut on an item that won't be stocked in a couple of months time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Why does it bother you so much anyway?

It's just to imply that it's not one of their weekly special offers nothing more nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tell you what, check every time you go in and tell us when you get back.

Or better still don't.

• Advertisement

Merch wrote: »
    so not like tescos price cuts then

I don't think that Tesco ever said that their price cuts would be permanent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I don't think that Tesco ever said that their price cuts would be permanent.

implied?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Lidl have heavily advertised permanent price cuts over the last number of years and then put up their prices on those products again. Then advertised them as permanent cuts again.

Permanent - existing perpetually; everlasting, esp. without significant change.
    intended to exist or function for a long, indefinite period without regard to unforeseeable conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Anyone challenged Lidl version of permanent with the advertising standards?

You know you can get away with it once no one bothers to complain in writing to the relevant people.

http://www.asai.ie/complain.asp

Merch wrote: »
    implied?

You can't nail em if it's implied. Damn clever those advertising people for saying black is white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Because I tend to have a bee in my bonnet about the proper use of English, I dislike Lidl's use of "permanent".

Because I like to apply common sense in my way of looking at things, I do not think it is intended to deceive, nor do I think people are deceived by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

If your expecting the prices to still be the same in 50 years, then no it's not permanent as others have suggested it's just showing the difference between special offers and regular prices. Of course the prices will go up eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You can't nail em if it's implied. Damn clever those advertising people for saying black is white.

For implying black is white.

For implying black is white.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Didn't tesco say Long Term Price cuts? - this suggests that they can be raised aftyer a certain period.

Lidl's permanent price cuts would suggest that the prices will stay at that level forever - if the exact meaning was taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I think there is a word (or even pithy phrase) missing from English, a suitable term to describe a price that has been reduced from a level where it has been the regular price to a new, lower, regular price. Or maybe there is a word, and I can't think of it.

"Long term" might be more accurate than "permanent", but it's not a great deal better, especially in a slogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I think there is a word (or even pithy phrase) missing from English, a suitable term to describe a price that has been reduced from a level where it has been the regular price to a new, lower, regular price. Or maybe there is a word, and I can't think of it.

"Long term" might be more accurate than "permanent", but it's not a great deal better, especially in a slogan.

Great debate but who actually has questioned their interpretation of "Long term" or "permanent"? When the pressure comes on suddenly wording changes.

OP, you really should have included the items that were permanently cut in price at Lidl 15 months ago. We could compare then and now and see if they complied with their wording.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Semantic topic surely, the cows in the field know that something is going to change in price in the next 20 years.

Lidl don't seem to be advertising 'permanent' price cuts any longer. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement