Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fonecredit4all

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not a scam, but you could pay €40 to get the credit. They charge you €2 everytime they send you a text

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Whats the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Bob Z wrote: »
    Whats the point?

to make money out of whos stupid enough to use it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

moved to consumer issues. i think it's more at home here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

all you have to do is read the info on that page

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yes but plenty of people don't and these companies make a hefty profit.

Surely though it must be false advertising, offering free credit but you have to opt into a subscription service?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

Not sure it's false advertising. You'll find that these guys are probably fully compliant with all requirements that they must adhere to. The real issue is how these servcies were allowed to come into operation in the first place. There's no way that a fully informed consumer would want to take part under the applicable terms. You can only presume that most people don't fully read the small print and before you know it the service is eating into your credit.

ComReg seem to be reviewing the whole area and are likely to ban certain services from operation so hopefully we will see a lot of this kind of stuff disappear over the coming months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

El Camino wrote: »
    ComReg seem to be reviewing the whole area and are likely to ban certain services from operation so hopefully we will see a lot of this kind of stuff disappear over the coming months.

comreg have been "reviewing" this type opf sh1te operation for years and have done absolutely feck all about them. -

Comregs recent amendment - Ohh you have to make the print bigger than 2mm on the TB adverts (its now 3mm & you still need to speed read at a professional pace and have 20/20 vision)

ALL of these type of premium lines are scams - its the only word for them. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING is free!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RicardoVerdi

I have been in Foneclub (operated by www.realm.ie) for a few years now. They used to send premium text messages, but now they send "push messages", which you click and get the website. If you prefer you can go on the website from a home PC instead. Normally you get 3 messages at once, which costs 3 x €2 = €6 to receive. You send a SAE to the address provided, which is always the same except that the 2nd line changes, usually it's the date, e.g. 140910. You have to tell them the phone number, network & amount (nearly always €20). (You don't have to give your own network, if you want you can pick another network & give the credit to someone else.)
    Then the credit arrives in the post. So you pay €6 + €1.10 stamps (2 x 55c) + envelopes + a few minutes of your time. So for less than €10 you get €20 credit. Of course if you forget to send in or you are away abroad you don't get the credit. You have to do it within a week (but I have been late sometimes & still received it). And you may have to wait a while - I keep pretty good records & sometimes the claim I sent in doesn't come back for 6 months. (One dated 260110 or 26th January came back to me on 29th July).

One tip I offer is make a note of the date as soon as the message comes in, as once the next message comes the address date on the website changes & you con't find any older dates. Buy plenty of stamps & post off the claims ASAP. It's cheaper than buying credit.

Also as a bonus, a year or 2 ago I got a free ipod, and have just been offered another so am waiting for it. They used to also enter you into a draw for €1000, and announce the winner's name and address, but that's been stopped a few months ago.

What's in it for them? I suppose they must get cheap credit from the mobile operators as they use so much. I presume they also benefit when people forget to send in a claim, or forget to give their mobile number or network when claiming.

So if you can't be bothered to send in SAE every few days, forget it, but if you are careful & want to always have plenty of credit, (I always seem to have a few spare €20 slips to share with broke friends!), then why not go ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 paddyuibh

I've been with foneclub nearly 3 years now and have say been honest I've saved loadsssssssss of money by not buying credit! There great just once ya do it right! once you sign upto them they'll send you wap message you clcik that and they outline in the text what dates ya have send away for your credit. roughly every 5 days you get a txt saying how ur signed up at €40 per month and click the link aswell the date is on that wap mesage for that weeks credit......put an envelope (with ur name and address) into another envelope addressd to, Foneclub 01/01/11 ( <<date for example) PO Box 10*** Dublin 24....ALSO a piece of paper with ur phone number, whatever network ya want credit for i.e. Vodafone, o2, Meteor....Plus amount credit to cliam! Usually €20 each time!!. make sure both envelopes are stamped! so when you first sign up....you usually start getting the credit in post after 4-5 weeks! after 1st signing up.....If you miss a due date ya dont get that credit for that time! SOooooo for 40 euro a month you get roughly 100/120 euro free credit! plus about 5.50 for stamps! :D:D I've signed up with 3 or 4 numbers with all family names lol

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

^^^^^^^

nice try lads. 2 posts and 5 posts.... not suspicious at all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

fergpie wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^

nice try lads. 2 posts and 5 posts.... not suspicious at all :rolleyes:

@fergpie -
    Please use the Report Post functionality to report post with which you have a problem rather than adding noise to the thread.

dudara

Advertisement