Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quoting threads

Options
  • 26-08-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭

I doubt anything can be done about it, but I have just noticed two threads where the same thing happened.

A poster wrote a long post relating to his job in some detail. Subsequently someone pointed out that he was quite identifiable from the information he had given, so the poster removed his post. Unfortunately the person giving the advice had quoted the entire post, so it was effectively still there. Further down the page someone else had quoted the post also.

In another case the OP had also given a lot of information about his job, then had second thoughts and removed it, but again, by this time the post had been quoted so again it was still there. Removing the original post in this case resulted in the rest of the thread being incomprehensible (until you found the quote), so would it be a situation where it should be closed?

Could/should anything be done about this kind of situation?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It looks to me like a situation where a moderator might be asked to intervene with some content deletion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

looksee wrote: »
    A poster wrote a long post relating to his job in some detail. Subsequently someone pointed out that he was quite identifiable from the information he had given, so the poster removed his post. Unfortunately the person giving the advice had quoted the entire post, so it was effectively still there. Further down the page someone else had quoted the post also.

That poster should just report the posts that quoted the text and ask nicely that identifying information is removed. I've done this for posters a few times and it's not generally a problem.
    looksee wrote: »
    In another case the OP had also given a lot of information about his job, then had second thoughts and removed it, but again, by this time the post had been quoted so again it was still there. Removing the original post in this case resulted in the rest of the thread being incomprehensible (until you found the quote), so would it be a situation where it should be closed?

If the thread no longer makes sense, then locking it is usually the best thing to do. It pisses me off when people delete all their posts in a thread they started because they don't like what they were told by other posters.

Advertisement