Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunk - emotional arguements?

Options
  • 26-08-2010 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going unreg for this.

I'm 24, been in one short relationship before but this one has been going on for about 11 months now.

The only time anyone has ever insulted or pointed out each other's flaws is when she was drunk one time. She was so drunk, she started crying that I don't kiss her enough when we go out, I should do more things like a boyfriend would and do my part - "it takes two in a relationship". I wasn't drunk, so it wasn't a messy drunken row on both sides.

She proceeded to go into a shop and asked for condoms - the man told her to leave the shop because she was so drunk. The rest of the night, she was going on about how much she loves me, etc. and doesn't like arguing but she had to say it - I needed to get my act together.

What really irks me is that this has happened about 3 times in total - each as bad as each other. In my defense, I do act like a good boyfriend. We hold hands, kiss, etc. as a couple would and I treat her like an angel, she's even admitted to it and so have my friends, relatives, etc. She's not an alcoholic, drinks every now and again but she might go overboard when she does and completely embarrasses me - telling me to lighten up and cop on, she needs her fun too, she's not harming anyone, etc. etc.

I don't know what kind of answers to expect here, but what would you do if you were in my situation?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

I'd date a grown up who can handle their drink - Problem solved!

Not sure if that's that advise you were looking for so if not, if i were you, I'd talk to her, explain how embarrassed you are by such behaviour and ask her what she's going to do to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Been in a kinda similar situation a while back. My ex would drink a lot and get drunk. I'm not a huge drinker and would prefer to stay in. Several occasions he would come home drunk and start onto me how I didn't love him and this kinda stuff; major major stress and pressure and in the end was a major turn off. I remember the stress and guilt he put me under. I think this kinda stuff needs to ne nipped in the bud early on and I certainly would not tolerate it next time around. As another poster pointed out, it's childish and insecure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'd tell her just how unattractive, unsexy and annoying it is and ask that this is the last time it happens if she wants your relationship to see christmas - then stick to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've been in a similar situation except I've been the one who was drunk and started the argument with my boyfriend. Thinking back on it I know it was a huge mistake and I blew everything out of proportion and regretted arguing deeply to this day even tho he's ok with it now. I would definetelt advise you to talk to her seriously and tell her how you feel about her as in my case when I was drunk I felt threatened by other ppl taking interest in my man so I'll admit I was feeling very insecure at the time as I was going through a rough patch in my life. She may too feel like you're going to leave her or whatever and acts out when she's drunk and obviously goes overboard, as nearly everyone does when they drink to excess. Once I had a proper talk with my man things were great and we have brilliant nights out, even if we drink to excess we both end the night on a very good note, it usen't be this way. My advice is to just talk to her and get both your feelings out in the open and see how she really feels and maybe that'll work, it did with me anyway. I hope this helps I'm sorry I can't offer anymore advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've been in a similar situation except I've been the one who was drunk and started the argument with my boyfriend. Thinking back on it I know it was a huge mistake and I blew everything out of proportion and regretted arguing deeply to this day even tho he's ok with it now. I would definetelt advise you to talk to her seriously and tell her how you feel about her as in my case when I was drunk I felt threatened by other ppl taking interest in my man so I'll admit I was feeling very insecure at the time as I was going through a rough patch in my life. She may too feel like you're going to leave her or whatever and acts out when she's drunk and obviously goes overboard, as nearly everyone does when they drink to excess. Once I had a proper talk with my man things were great and we have brilliant nights out, even if we drink to excess we both end the night on a very good note, it usen't be this way. My advice is to just talk to her and get both your feelings out in the open and see how she really feels and maybe that'll work, it did with me anyway. I hope this helps I'm sorry I can't offer anymore advice.

Thanks, much appreciated. Going on holidays with her next week so hopefully i'll get the chance to sit down and talk to her soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

yeah I have to agree with a poster above to a degree. I'd find it hard to be with a person who can't handle their drink if they were insistant on drinking on regular basis.

Being drunk isn't an excuse for acting like an idiot. Maybe once in a blue moon (and thats pushing it) then it is but not every time you have a drink. Flying off the handle on a semi-regular basis for no reason other than being drunk just doesn't cut the mustard

If a person cannot handle their drink without doing a Dr Jeykl and Mr Hyde then they shouldn't drink. Its not a valid excuse for being a fool. If you are an adult you have to take responsibility for your actions.

Advertisement