Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invaluably interesting research request

Options
  • 26-08-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Dear Ladies!

I am an MSc student at the Dublin Institute of Technology. I am currently conducting a research on body attitudes, infant feeding methods, and attitudes to breastfeeding in public among women living in Ireland.

If you choose to participate (I hope you will smile.gif, this survey will take you approximately 7-9 minutes. This study is anonymous, and all answers are confidential.

You will be asked to fill out a number of questions which will relate to your body attitudes, your preferred method of infant feeding, and your feelings about women breastfeeding in public. Some of the questions might sound repetitive, but they form a part of well-recognized constructs used successfully in numerous questionnaires carried out in other countries. The questionnaire contians around 70 questions, but they are not difficult. Your help will definitely contribute to a better understanding of contemporary Irish society.

I ask you that you respond honestly to the questions, as the validity of the study will depend on your honest answers.

If you have questions or concerns about this research, please contact me at liberateyourbreasts@gmail.com.

Prior to starting this thread I contaced the forum's moderator, Khannie, who gave this research a full aprroval. I hope you will find my research interesting and valuable.

This is the link to the survey:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/354285/Public-Breastfeeding-in-Ireland

I will be most obliged if you decide to participate in my research!!!

Thank you!

Nina vel GeckoOnTheWall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm stickying this for a week as requested. Good luck with the study. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GeckoOnTheWall

Thanks K!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That didnt' take long to do at all :)

Thanks Thaedydal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Done

Please let me know when the results of the survey are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Done - Lots of questions about about body issues there. I'd be interested to see the results. I imagine there is a correlation between good body image and good attitude to breastfeeding.

Thanks! I will post a summary of the research. If you would like more detailed report, please email me.

Thanks again for participating!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Asha

Done.

Very interesting. Keep us updated!

Asha

• Advertisement

I certainly will!

Thanks!

The survey will run for only 2-3 days more if anyone is interested in participating and making their opinion be actually heard. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I did it. Maybe this is not the best place for discussion of the issue, but I am unconvinced about the link between body image and breastfeeding. I have been overweight for a number of years and while I am confident in many other ways, I have a poor relationship with my body, am uncomfortable getting naked, hate shopping for clothes, have difficulties dieting/exercising etc etc. However, while I was pregnant I felt amazing. I felt sexy, womanly, fulfilled. I loved my bump, loved being allowed to be big. This feeling continued after the birth - I felt like breastfeeding was an extension of pregnancy and it gave my body a further function that it had not had before. I breastfed/expressed for 12 months, recently finished and miss it. Part of the loss is that my body is no longer a magical baby-feeding wonder - it has simply returned to being a wobbly mess and I have returned to feeling rotten about it. Roll on pregnancy no. 2.

Cat Melodeon,

thank you for your valuable observation and sharing your experience. I wouldn't like to comment publicly on the research while the survey is still running, but if you would like more information on the thoery behind the research, please e-mail me at the address given in the original post.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I did it. Maybe this is not the best place for discussion of the issue, but I am unconvinced about the link between body image and breastfeeding. I have been overweight for a number of years and while I am confident in many other ways, I have a poor relationship with my body, am uncomfortable getting naked, hate shopping for clothes, have difficulties dieting/exercising etc etc. However, while I was pregnant I felt amazing. I felt sexy, womanly, fulfilled. I loved my bump, loved being allowed to be big. This feeling continued after the birth - I felt like breastfeeding was an extension of pregnancy and it gave my body a further function that it had not had before. I breastfed/expressed for 12 months, recently finished and miss it. Part of the loss is that my body is no longer a magical baby-feeding wonder - it has simply returned to being a wobbly mess and I have returned to feeling rotten about it. Roll on pregnancy no. 2.

Same here but my family is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Cat Melodeon,

thank you for your valuable observation and sharing your experience. I wouldn't like to comment publicly on the research while the survey is still running, but if you would like more information on the thoery behind the research, please e-mail me at the address given in the original post.

Thanks again!

No it's fine, I just wanted to add a qualitative slant to my response!

Hi Ladies, today is the very last day of the survey, if anybody is still intersted in taking the survey.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Done - will be interested to see the results.

Dear Ladies, the survey is now closed. I would like to thank all (many!) women who decided to take part in it.

The results will be available at the end of September.

If anybody would like to receive more detailed results of the survey, please e-mail me at liberateyourbreasts@gmail.com

Thanks again!!!

Hi Ladies,

if you are interested in the results, please contact me at my gmail address.

Thanks!

Advertisement