Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi urges Liverpool to act "humanely".

• 26-08-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭
    °°°°°

I saw this piece on Goal.com regarding the protracted transfer saga of Javier Mascherano to Barcelona...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2010/08/26/2088524/barcelona-star-lionel-messi-urges-liverpool-to-act-humanely
    Barcelona Star Lionel Messi Urges Liverpool To 'Act Humanely' And Release Javier Mascherano

Argentine star insists compatriot will never play for Reds again...

By Zack Wilson

Aug 26, 2010 11:01:00 AM

Barcelona forward Lionel Messi has claimed that Javier Mascherano will never play for Liverpool again, and that the English outfit must allow the midfielder to leave.

Indeed, the Argentine forward believes that the Reds are being more than unfair to Mascherano in the way that they are handling his situation.

Mascherano was omitted from the Liverpool squad which lost at Manchester City on Monday, with manager Roy Hodgson claiming that the player's head was not right for the game.

That reportedly created some bad feeling at Anfield, with Mascherano training alone at the club on Tuesday.

But Messi maintains that there can only be one outcome to the situation.

"Javier won't play for the club again, I can assure you of that, and I think the Liverpool coach knows that now," said Messi, according to the Daily Express.

"Javier's family are unhappy and the pressure of seeing that is making him depressed. Liverpool must act humanely and let him go."
    I'm not a supporter of either club involved in this situation, and I like many others quite admire the footballing prowess of Lionel Messi, but if those quoted words are true, he must be a sandwich short of a picnic.
    What an exageration, poor little Javier is being put to work at the coal face of professional football in Liverpool against his will and is only being paid a small fortune to do so, the poor little darling.
    Just how far removed from reality are footballers becoming these days?
    How is expecting a highly paid superstar footballer, to honour a contract he negotiated not humane exactly?

Glazers Out!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Messi is starting to really annoy me now, he's being a little shít for tapping up players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Wow! Have they found traces of Barca DNA in Masch?

Does that mean Cesc and Masch are related?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

sure didn't barca players try the same sort of trick with fabregas. gettin tired of real and barca grabbing all these players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

When Madrid do it, it's arrogant and disrespectful. Nuff said.

Whatever about wanting to go, refusing to play? Him and the other tart, Tevez.

Fuck him, triple the fee and put him in the reserves.

stovelid wrote: »
    When Madrid do it, it's arrogant and disrespectful. Nuff said.

Whatever about wanting to go, refusing to play? Him and the other tart, Tevez.

Fuck him, triple the fee and put and put him in the reserves.

quite often it's the clubs themselves playing hardball with players so i don't see whats wrong when it on the other foot. that's life..pool should cash in and move on. no player is bigger than the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

sell him to Inter they offering the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I am absiolutely sick of Barcelona. Their arrogance really is something else. I hope Madrid stuff them in La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Messi should shut his mouth and know his role. Twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't see much wrong with what Messi is saying. Mascherano's wife is said to be very unhappy about settling at Liverpool. This isn't a case of a player acting like a prima donna, it's a player who is thinking of his family and wants to do what's best. From what I've read, Hodgson understands this. Messi is just telling it like it is.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Messi is starting to really annoy me now, he's being a little shít for tapping up players.

+1

He would want to shut his hole and start living up to this tag of best player in the world after being useless in the world cup.
    I don't see much wrong with what Messi is saying. Mascherano's wife is said to be very unhappy about settling at Liverpool.

Mascherano's wife is another who I'm sick hearing about, how the hell was the woman planning in fitting in if she refused to learn english.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I am absiolutely sick of Barcelona. Their arrogance really is something else. I hope Madrid stuff them in La Liga.

Yes because madrid are complete saints, what was it happened when they came after Ronaldo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Barca player in talking in the media about the future of a player Barca want shocker. Shameless stuff. Really lacking in class at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I don't see much wrong with what Messi is saying. Mascherano's wife is said to be very unhappy about settling at Liverpool. This isn't a case of a player acting like a prima donna, it's a player who is thinking of his family and wants to do what's best. From what I've read, Hodgson understands this. Messi is just telling it like it is.

Maybe he shouldn't have signed a longterm contract so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

curry-muff wrote: »
    Yes because madrid are complete saints, what was it happened when they came after Ronaldo :rolleyes:

Perhaps they are not saints but who else in Spain will realistically win the league.

Don't forget that Madrid also paid a huge fee for Ronaldo. Barcelona will try to unsettle a player and then offer a piss taking transfer fee.

+1

He would want to shut his hole and start living up to this tag of best player in the world after being useless in the world cup.

Eh, he wasn't useless. He may not have scored but that doesn't mean he played badly.

Degag wrote: »
    Eh, he wasn't useless. He may not have scored but that doesn't mean he played badly.

He look fairly ordinary to me by his standards anyway any of the times I saw him playing.

Maybe he shouldn't have signed a longterm contract so?

Contracts mean fúck all in football. i don't even know why they call them contracts. Agreements they should be called. Agreements until they disagree

syngindub wrote: »
    Contracts mean fúck all in football. i don't even know why they call them contracts. Agreements they should be called. Agreements until they disagree

I presume they call them contracts because they are in fact contracts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nox001 wrote:
    Mascherano's wife is another who I'm sick hearing about, how the hell was the woman planning in fitting in if she refused to learn english.
    Degag wrote:

Lads, this is real life not Football Manager. The chap has stuff in his personal life he has to try to deal with. As Hodgson himself has said:
    he has also made it clear that he doesn't regard it as a hardship to play for Liverpool. In fact it is the reverse. His problem is a familiar one in that his wife doesn't want to come to Liverpool, so when he is here he lives alone. If he moved to a Spanish or Mediterranean club, the chances are his wife would join him there.

"But he also realises that he is a very valuable player, the best at what he does in the world, and a club has to come along and offer what he is worth. If that happens, and we yet again said no and reneged on what we had said to him earlier, then we would have an unhappy player.

"I am very happy if he remains with us because in an ideal world, if it were simply a situation of: 'Would we be prepared to listen to offers for Mascherano'? I would say no. I don't care what money is offered. It is only this promise that was made a year ago that lingers over my head, which means I am prepared to go even as far as this."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/mascherano-will-go-on-our-terms-insists-hodgson-2056147.html

Hodgson's position seems entirely reasonable and fair to me. Sucks for Liverpool fans that this is his situation, United had a similar concern with Vidic and his Mrs, but when the wife or kids are seriously unhappy then there's little the manager can do about it.

I presume they call them contracts because they are in fact contracts?

If a player becomes unhappy the club should do the honorable thing. Let him go and move on..was he that great anyway was he?

• Advertisement

Lads, this is real life not Football Manager. The chap has stuff in his personal life he has to try to deal with. As Hodgson himself has said:

Hodgson's position seems entirely reasonable and fair to me. Sucks for Liverpool fans that this is his situation, United had a similar concern with Vidic and his Mrs, but when the wife or kids are seriously unhappy then there's little the manager can do about it.

Why did you quote my post regarding Messi?:confused:

Also, yes this is real life and life sucks sometimes. If he signed a contract he should honour it. If you or I signed a contract to do something and tried breaking it, i guarantee you there would be repercussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

syngindub wrote: »
    If a player becomes unhappy the club should do the honorable thing. Let him go and move on..was he that great anyway was he?

I agree, but only if a proper offer comes in. Just because Fabregas wants to go doesn't mean Arsenal should accept stupidly low offers for him.
    At least Fabregas is being professional about it, Mascherano is looking like a child and refusing to play. Hope he doesn't get a game at Barca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I agree, but only if a proper offer comes in. Just because Fabregas wants to go doesn't mean Arsenal should accept stupidly low offers for him.
    At least Fabregas is being professional about it, Mascherano is looking like a child and refusing to play. Hope he doesn't get a game at Barca

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Maybe Messi should have a word with the Barca top brass and ask them to make a serious bid for Masch. Does he think Liverpool are going to rip themselves off by about 10 million just for the craic. Honestly footballers these days are away with the fairys.

true, each person is his own individual and reacts different in each situation. I think there is a big gap with intelligence between the two on this matter though. I can see where both are coming from though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

liverpool and their crimes against humanity *shakes head and points fist at the sky*:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

How unhappy can his family be exactly?
    They should try living on the dole.
    Barcelona seem to have no qualms about issuing "heartfelt" pleas regarding potential transfer targets, and as pointed out previously they'd point the finger at the equally annoying Real Madrid when they chase players in that way.
    Footballers should be allowed to move, and the transfer fee's ensure that their clubs get more than enough in the way of compensation, but if the club needs that player then the player should honour the contract that they fought so hard to procure in the first place.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

MUSEIST wrote: »
    liverpool and their crimes against humanity *shakes head and points fist at the sky*:rolleyes:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSL8K5bnapXbXvALnwUSKC6admXVHlcY74OvHt64Mc2S5Lq_9o&t=1&usg=__UyjJxhJCV0_oI1oQbotXoBJCAII=

:pac::pac::pac:

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

flahavaj wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

I see what you did there. Great use of rolleyes. Because I don't want sucess for Mascherano at a club that he's throwing a strop to get to, I'm actually the child. Of course the grown up thing to do is to hope all the footballers we watch on TV have fantastic careers and get picked in every game. Brilliant, thanks for putting me on the right track

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I see what you did there. Great use of rolleyes. Because I don't want sucess for Mascherano at a club that he's throwing a strop to get to, I'm actually the child. Of course the grown up thing to do is to hope all the footballers we watch on TV have fantastic careers and get picked in every game. Brilliant, thanks for putting me on the right track

He's not throwing a strop. He agreed with the club he would leave twelve months ago. Roy Hodgson is on record as saying he understands Mascherano's reasons for leaving.

Stop making things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

How much did Barca get for Toure, 30m I think wasnt it , a player that couldnt even get in their team and who plays in the same position in their team as mascherano,they believe that mascherano will improve upon Toure yet there not willing to match or pay a similar fee to what they got for a player they believe is inferior, I would say to hell with them and Im a united supporter but I hate this type of crap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Messi should shut his mouth and know his role. Twat.

His role as best player in the world? I'm sure he knows his role.

Whats the big deal anyway? He's only trying to help his mate out of the terrible shambles that is Liverpool football club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

+1

You obviously never watched any Argentina games at the world cup. He was far from useless. Probably Argentina's best player in the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I still can't get angry with Messi. He's too good to get pissed about.

I think it's clear with Masch.We obviously want him to stay. It's all about how much Inter, Barca etc want him. Just pay the fee and he can go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

fingers crossed he calls for world peace aswell.
    put that in yer pipe an smoke it says she!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gotta agree about Barca, they sell Yaya for 27m but continue to lowball on transfers and the prices that are quoted for Masch are quite frankly ridiculous. Probably just don't want the football world to know that they are broke. No wonder they are cashing in on Ibra

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Barca players should shut the hell up regarding tranfers tbh. It's not their area and quite frankly none of their business.

Sure reporters will ask them questions, doesn't mean they have to answer them.

He is a Liverpool player and if Liverpool don't get an offer they like, they have no obligation to sell him.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Typical Barca tactic though, try and unsettle him as much as possible. These matters should remain private. It's not Messi's, Xavi's or Pique's place to be mouthing off to the press saying to act "humanely" or that he "belongs at Barca". You have to give respect to get it FFS. Hopefully they can keep their mouths shut and leave the negotiating to the chairmen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Seems like 22 million is enough for Barca to get there man. The one thing I dont like about it is the fact they had an Argentina collegue come out and say he should be at Barca because his family is unhappy at liverpool. Im sure there was no need for Messi to come out and say this and if Barca had managed to stump up the cash first day there would be no need for all this.

Its my only gripe with the situation, same thing happened with Cesc this summer, its just they didnt manage to get him, not this year anyway, I do feel its only a matter of time before Cesc is playing at Barca.

Good luck to Mascherano though, decent player, be interesting to see do they start him over Busquets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

How much did Barca get for Toure, 30m I think wasnt it , a player that couldnt even get in their team and who plays in the same position in their team as mascherano,they believe that mascherano will improve upon Toure yet there not willing to match or pay a similar fee to what they got for a player they believe is inferior, I would say to hell with them and Im a united supporter but I hate this type of crap

The reason Toure left was due to pressure from his agent. There is a trend at Barca under Pep, if the agent starts acting up, the players is shown the door. Eto'o, Toure, Hleb (who has been told he has no future) are but 3 examples.

Mascherano will be on his way at the end of this season after having a season long bench under him and his agent starts whinging again.

Toure is a far better player than what Masch ever will be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Masch and Tevez don't suit the premier league because they've no loyalty whats so ever. As soon as there's a chance for something better (financially or otherwise), they're out the gap.

His wife's unhappy because she wants to live somewhere warmer and he wants a nice signing on fee at a better club than the one he's at.

As for Barca players in general, spending the whole summer releasing statements about players under contract at other clubs.. well thats those arseholes for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Masch and Tevez don't suit the premier league because they've no loyalty whats so ever. As soon as there's a chance for something better (financially or otherwise), they're out the gap.

His wife's unhappy because she wants to live somewhere warmer and he wants a nice signing on fee at a better club than the one he's at.

As for Barca players in general, spending the whole summer releasing statements about players under contract at other clubs.. well thats those arseholes for you.

Ah because only loyal players "suit" the premier league and play there. No loyal players in Italy, France, Spain etc...

Hate to break it to you, but pretty much all the foreign players are there for financial gain. It ain't the great weather and refined cuisine of England luring them.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Ah because only loyal players "suit" the premier league and play there. No loyal players in Italy, France, Spain etc...

Hate to break it to you, but pretty much all the foreign players are there for financial gain. It ain't the great weather and refined cuisine of England luring them.

They're have been plenty of loyal foreigners playing in England over the years, plenty still playing. A lot of them love the league, love the fans, love the clubs.

But i probably worded that wrong when i said it. I should have said "Masch and Tevez don't suit the premier league are twats because they've no loyalty whats so ever and...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

People seem to project their own affection to a particular club on to expected players behavior. But tell me why should someone like Mascherano or Torres have a particular affection towards Liverpool?

I mean they all say the right stuff when they sign a contract no matter where they're from and even if they never heard of the club in question 3 weeks ago. 'Childhood dream', 'always been a fan of <xyz> who have a great following in my country (my arse)'.

For instance with Torres I know Liverpool fans who really believe that Torres will never leave because he IS Liverpool, because he wants to be part of this "bigger thing" that is LFC. Sure. Right.

One question: What sort of loyalty would you personally show towards your current employer when you could sign on to a new job for more money in a nicer office doing more interesting work?

Quite a bit, if every time i went to work there was thousands upon thousands of people who followed me up and down the country, singing my name regardless of how well i do, or if i even make it into work. I've never went running towards my colleagues to celebrate meeting a deadline, or securing a tender.

Do you honestly think football is just work for these people? Sure they go out there to do a job, but there's a hell of a lot more to it than that and i'd like to think most players understand that.

Maybe im just being naive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Liverpoll should have told them to back off, and said they'd accept Messi (and cash), and nothing else. Same with Arsenal and Fabregas.

Ridiculous stuff altogether, from a club that couldn't afford to pay its players not too long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Boskowski wrote: »
    People seem to project their own affection to a particular club on to expected players behavior. But tell me why should someone like Mascherano or Torres have a particular affection towards Liverpool?

I mean they all say the right stuff when they sign a contract no matter where they're from and even if they never heard of the club in question 3 weeks ago. 'Childhood dream', 'always been a fan of <xyz> who have a great following in my country (my arse)'.

For instance with Torres I know Liverpool fans who really believe that Torres will never leave because he IS Liverpool, because he wants to be part of this "bigger thing" that is LFC. Sure. Right.

One question: What sort of loyalty would you personally show towards your current employer when you could sign on to a new job for more money in a nicer office doing more interesting work?
    What's hilarious is that Torres left his dream club for Liverpool because he wanted to win trophies and there would probably be murder if he said the same thing about wanting to move to Barca/Chelsea or whoever will be in for him next season or whenever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

In his head he's added an "ah" to his name..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In his head he's added an "ah" to his name..

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

...sorry

• Advertisement
Advertisement