Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi urges Liverpool to act "humanely".

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Liam O wrote: »
    What's hilarious is that Torres left his dream club for Liverpool because he wanted to win trophies and there would probably be murder if he said the same thing about wanting to move to Barca/Chelsea or whoever will be in for him next season or whenever.

Atletico ended up winning the Uefa Cup last season too! :P And got to the final of the Copa Del Rey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

...sorry

Heh. No need for apologies with a quote like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

All that Messi is quoted as saying is
    "Javier won't play for the club again, I can assure you of that, and I think the Liverpool coach knows that now," said Messi, according to the Daily Express.

"Javier's family are unhappy and the pressure of seeing that is making him depressed. Liverpool must act humanely and let him go."

Ok no i don't like to see any players talking about transfers, its not there job, but look at what Messi said, its stuff that we all already know and has been spoken about already by Hodgson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Quite a bit, if every time i went to work there was thousands upon thousands of people who followed me up and down the country, singing my name regardless of how well i do, or if i even make it into work. I've never went running towards my colleagues to celebrate meeting a deadline, or securing a tender.

Do you honestly think football is just work for these people? Sure they go out there to do a job, but there's a hell of a lot more to it than that and i'd like to think most players understand that.

Maybe im just being naive

Football is a great hobby. For us.

I'm pretty sure when you HAVE to play football every day it turns into work very quickly. Like everything else.

I'm not saying every player is the same. Same as in your workplace.

But I read that Mascherano's wife isn't even in the country. I also read the man himself lives in an isolated 'upper class' estate where he has no contact to anyone and that he hardly ever leaves the house and has no social life at all.
    That doesn't sound like someone who is having a blast. That sounds like someone who is on a big foreign contract that couldn't be refused because of the incredible money. That sounds like someone who finds it impossible to refuse the big bucks but as soon as he has the mortgage paid off he's gone.
    Now he found someone who pays him the same but is going to improve his lifestyle significantly (climate, wife). Of course he would jump at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

hu·manely adv.

1. Characterized by what is most beneficial to gigantic football clubs

[Middle English humain, human; see human.]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Nice one Roy, tell Barcelona you will not sell unless a good price is offered and he goes for 17 million :confused:

I fear Barcelona. Another world-class midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

gimmick wrote: »

Toure is a far better player than what Masch ever will be.

i don't agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well tis a fact sir. A solid gold fact which is based purely on my opinion (which could well be wrong, but it isn't).

gimmick wrote: »
    Well tis a fact sir. A solid gold fact which is based purely on my opinion (which could well be wrong, but it isn't).

Selling Touré for 24 million then getting Mascherano for 17 mil is a sweeeeet deal.

Guardiola picked Busquets over him did he not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ya, Busquets is Peps number 1. And will contiue to be so as longa s he is fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Thread full of irony. Madrid and Barca the only two clubs guilty of tapping up and or destabilising players. :rolleyes:

Boskowski wrote: »
    Football is a great hobby. For us.

I'm pretty sure when you HAVE to play football every day it turns into work very quickly. Like everything else.

I'm not saying every player is the same. Same as in your workplace.

But I read that Mascherano's wife isn't even in the country. I also read the man himself lives in an isolated 'upper class' estate where he has no contact to anyone and that he hardly ever leaves the house and has no social life at all.
    That doesn't sound like someone who is having a blast. That sounds like someone who is on a big foreign contract that couldn't be refused because of the incredible money. That sounds like someone who finds it impossible to refuse the big bucks but as soon as he has the mortgage paid off he's gone.
    Now he found someone who pays him the same but is going to improve his lifestyle significantly (climate, wife). Of course he would jump at it.

I work with too people who's family live outside Ireland and they fly home every weekend, Flight out friday evening and back monday morning. Now granted a footballer does not have his weekends free but other than that the situation is similar. While the people I work with would have very good jobs they are not on lotto numbers like footballers and could get just as good jobs in their home countries but want to work in the particular jobs they have here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Regarding Busquets vs Touré vs Masch, there's very, very little to choose between them. However, for Barcelona's system and the way they play football, Busquets comes out comfortably on top. He's much more suited to a team who'll have over 60% possession in a lot of their games because he's far better on the ball than the other two.

I imagine a defensive midfielder could get bored of just waiting on the centre circle watching Xavi, Messi and the rest string a billion passes between them :D

I'm surprised that you Barca fans are not more excited about this!

Archimedes wrote: »
    Regarding Busquets vs Touré vs Masch, there's very, very little to choose between them. However, for Barcelona's system and the way they play football, Busquets comes out comfortably on top. He's much more suited to a team who'll have over 60% possession in a lot of their games because he's far better on the ball than the other two.

For the majority of games i think you will be right, Busquets will start but Masch will still be a good signing for that extra bite he will give the midfield, in the last couple season we have seen teams like Chelsea and Inter almost bully Barca in midfield and i think this is where Masch will be used. To get him for £20 million is a good deal for Barca and i think he will help Barca when they need a player to really dig in and break up the oppositions play.

• Advertisement

MOG7 wrote: »
    For the majority of games i think you will be right, Busquets will start but Masch will still be a good signing for that extra bite he will give the midfield, in the last couple season we have seen teams like Chelsea and Inter almost bully Barca in midfield and i think this is where Masch will be used. To get him for £20 is a good deal for Barca and i think he will help Barca when they need a player to really dig in and break up the oppositions play.

Jaysus :eek:

Friggin steal!

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Jaysus :eek:

Friggin steal!

Edited. £20 million doesn't seem as much of a steal now :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

One thing people seem to have forgotten in regards to these "player comments" is the media's ability to bend words. I don't doubt for one second that at least one of the comments regarding Cesc or Masch are truthful but to turn around and get angry at the Barca players, for probably saying some thing different than we read is just idiocy. These are players that are generally humble and stay out of the press. Just don't believe every thing you read folks.

On topic. Masch is a good signing for Barca and I will second what some body above said. He will give them that extra bite in closer games i.e Chelsea, Inter etc games where Barca get bullied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

there was a great article on the process of buying top players by real and barcelona on backpagefootball, there was one stage where one of the players from madrid or barca comes out and urges the player to come, very interesting, it even gave examples and quote sand it was dead on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think Barca and Madrid do go beyond other clubs in their tapping-up and consistently show a lack of class but at the end of the day, all the media plants and player interventions in the world wouldn't make any difference if 95% of players didn't really want to play there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

mink_man wrote: »
    there was a great article on the process of buying top players by real and barcelona on backpagefootball, there was one stage where one of the players from madrid or barca comes out and urges the player to come, very interesting, it even gave examples and quote sand it was dead on.

I wrote that, but it was actually meant to be more of a piss take than an actual guideline! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Archimedes wrote: »

I agree 100%. Busquets last season had the raw talent to be good, but his decision making was lacking. I think at the WC he showed everyone how much he has developed. This time last year I would have been gutted to lose Toure, but now, despite really liking the guy, I'm not worried as I know Busquets is developing into literally the perfect mould for Barca. Which is exactly why Pep rates him so highly.
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    I imagine a defensive midfielder could get bored of just waiting on the centre circle watching Xavi, Messi and the rest string a billion passes between them :D

I'm surprised that you Barca fans are not more excited about this!

I actually am very excited, and when you consider the fact we've swapped Toure for Mascherano and made a pretty tidy profit, it's a great bit of business. Toure was always going to leave considering City were offering 1st team football and 200k a week. And while I think Toure was more suited to Barca's style of play, I'm glad we now have Masch, as he offers something different to both Sergi and Yaya (whereas Yaya and Sergio were quite similar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I work with too people who's family live outside Ireland and they fly home every weekend, Flight out friday evening and back monday morning. Now granted a footballer does not have his weekends free but other than that the situation is similar. While the people I work with would have very good jobs they are not on lotto numbers like footballers and could get just as good jobs in their home countries but want to work in the particular jobs they have here.

I've done the working abroad weekend at home thing for four years. It's horrible. It's no life at all.

Advertisement