Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You Can't Beat a Good Double Standard.

• 26-08-2010 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

I was watching the news earlier & there was a report on people setting up 'ad hoc' car washes around the country, in places like car parks. Instead of using expensive car wash equipment, they use buckets & brushes and are undercutting conventional car washes in price.

Owners of conventinal car washes are calling for the industry to be regulated - they are losing money on their investments & are claiming that the new car wash set-ups are harmful to the environment as they don't use drains that separate silt & oil from the waste water before it is disposed of.

However, the new car wash people say that as they use lower amounts of water & environmental chemicals, that they can and do, apply for licences that allow them to dispose of the water down regular drains.

In the report, RTE interviewed several taximen, as taximen would (or at least should) be regular users of car washes. They were baulking at the idea that the car wash industry should be regulated, and believe that anyone who wants to set up a car wash should be allowed to & they should be allowed to charge whatever price they want, even if it undercuts the competition.

So basically, they support free markets, but only when it suits them. Double standards? Not half.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Well the markets hardly saturated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

WindSock wrote: »
    Well the markets hardly saturated...

HOSE-PIPE BANNED

HOSE-PIPE BANNED

Awwww, not again :(

Actually, I quite like these yokes, cost a fiver to clean my car the other day it did. Much better than the rip off petrol stations.

Awwww, not again :(

Actually, I quite like these yokes, cost a fiver to clean my car the other day it did. Much better than the rip off petrol stations.

They only cost about a fiver where I live in the petrol stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Much better than the rip off petrol stations.

It's a disgrace those prices, sponging off the public like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

God bless those taxi men! They have the prostitution racket sewn up too!

I'm going around to my local taxi man tomorrow to ask him a favour on his daughter's wedding day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

and even funnier is the fact that standard auto washes damage you paint anyway. Never use them!
    Cheaper and better to use one of these handwashes :)

and even funnier is the fact that standard auto washes damage you paint anyway. Never use them!
    Cheaper and better to use one of these handwashes :)

True. Hand jobs are always better imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

True. Hand jobs are always better imo.

thats what she he said ;)

They only cost about a fiver where I live in the petrol stations.

Yeah but they do a much better job than the machines. I would prefer to hand over cash to enterprising chaps than a station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Local garage want €12-€15 for just the outside.

2 Asian lads behind my local MotorFactors want €10 for the inside and out.

Wonder who I use...?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

i think sometimes the hand wash can be a bit rough, but they get into all the nooks and crannies...wha.. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Wonder who I use...?

If this thread is still about handjobs, I'm betting the Asians.

F*cking hell. That's Dublin for ya.

Do they wax on, wax off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I was watching the news earlier & there was a report on people setting up 'ad hoc' car washes around the country, in places like car parks. Instead of using expensive car wash equipment, they use buckets & brushes and are undercutting conventional car washes in price.

Owners of conventinal car washes are calling for the industry to be regulated - they are losing money on their investments & are claiming that the new car wash set-ups are harmful to the environment as they don't use drains that separate silt & oil from the waste water before it is disposed of.

However, the new car wash people say that as they use lower amounts of water & environmental chemicals, that they can and do, apply for licences that allow them to dispose of the water down regular drains.

In the report, RTE interviewed several taximen, as taximen would (or at least should) be regular users of car washes. They were baulking at the idea that the car wash industry should be regulated, and believe that anyone who wants to set up a car wash should be allowed to & they should be allowed to charge whatever price they want, even if it undercuts the competition.

So basically, they support free markets, but only when it suits them. Double standards? Not half.

A very good point.
    You see these types of double standards all the time.
    For instance, small/medium business people who swear by the free-market and profess to loathe any government interference, yet lobby for anti-trust/competition laws.
    And, as we've seen recently, big business, such as the banks etc, who are ideologically opposed to any kind of government interference/regulation, yet have no problem with being bailed out by the government/taxpayers, when things go to ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

King Felix wrote: »
    Do they wax on, wax off?

€30 full valet :D

Getting away from the puns and back to your original point, OP, it's pretty shammy of the taxi-drivers having double standards like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

2 Asian ladyboys behind my local MotorFactors want €10 for the inside and out.

Wonder who I use...?

Fixed that for ya....;)
    If this thread is still about handjobs, I'm betting the Asians.

:eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement