Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Questions about the xbox

• 27-08-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

First time poster in this part of the forum. Recently I've wanted to buy a console and well I want the Xbox.

It's been awhile since I played a console as I've been a long time computer player. I've got some questions about the Xbox though.

1) The new xbox that recently came out is 250euro or 250gb.

http://www.toys.ie/XBOX-360-250GB-CONSOLE-!H10637-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=cee509ca-489d-405c-8626-1ce6697a2173

From that picture I can't see weather it has a spare USB port. I already have one Xbox controller which I used to play for on the computer, using a USB port. Can I use that one in a xbox as well as a wireless

2) 250GB seems alot for an Xbox. Would it be enough if I bought the X360 Elite.

http://www.toys.ie/X360-ELITE-CONSOLE-!G11722-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=8708b599-d3d5-431a-87f1-06bf02fcfb10

It seems that 120GB is a good price for the Xbox imo. I get a headset and controller with this Xbox.

Which would you recommend? (Money is tight etc)

3) As there are so many Xbox's with there being Elites,Slim etc etc. Can all of them hook up to the same Online activity?

For example: If I have a Elite xbox and my friend has a the new Slim one, can we both play a game of FIFA againts each other?

4) How good is the online? From what I hear it seems pretty good. Not much lag etc. Is it 60euro for one year online membership?

All help would be much obliged,

Regards,

Shano.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

Hi all,

First time poster in this part of the forum. Recently I've wanted to buy a console and well I want the Xbox.

It's been awhile since I played a console as I've been a long time computer player. I've got some questions about the Xbox though.

http://www.toys.ie/XBOX-360-250GB-CONSOLE-!H10637-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=cee509ca-489d-405c-8626-1ce6697a2173

From that picture I can't see weather it has a spare USB port. I already have one Xbox controller which I used to play for on the computer, using a USB port. Can I use that one in a xbox as well as a wireless

http://www.toys.ie/X360-ELITE-CONSOLE-!G11722-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=8708b599-d3d5-431a-87f1-06bf02fcfb10

It seems that 120GB is a good price for the Xbox imo. I get a headset and controller with this Xbox.

Which would you recommend? (Money is tight etc)

3) As there are so many Xbox's with there being Elites,Slim etc etc. Can all of them hook up to the same Online activity?

For example: If I have a Elite xbox and my friend has a the new Slim one, can we both play a game of FIFA againts each other?

4) How good is the online? From what I hear it seems pretty good. Not much lag etc. Is it 60euro for one year online membership?

All help would be much obliged,

Regards,

Shano.

they are all the same aside from the fact the slim is smaller and quieter the memory (120gb 250gb) only matters if you are going to download a lot (i have 60 gb and i download a lot and still have 30 gb free space) you all can connect to the same things on xbox live so you will have no problem on fifa, it is 60 euro for a year subscription to xbox live and i never suffer from lag, but you should have a good broadband as-well (2 mb or more is perfect)

hope this is a help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

they are all the same aside from the fact the slim is smaller and quieter the memory (120gb 250gb) only matters if you are going to download a lot (i have 60 gb and i download a lot and still have 30 gb free space) you all can connect to the same things on xbox live so you will have no problem on fifa, it is 60 euro for a year subscription to xbox live and i never suffer from lag, but you should have a good broadband as-well (2 mb or more is perfect)

hope this is a help

That is a great help mate. I've got a 3MB connection so that suits perfect much obliged.

Prices for new games I assume is around the 60euro mark? Going down after a few months?

That is a great help mate. I've got a 3MB connection so that suits perfect much obliged.

Prices for new games I assume is around the 60euro mark? Going down after a few months?

actually mate nearly every brand new game now is €50 or less (aside from games like cod or halo which are €60)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You can get most new games for around €40 delivered online, except a few like the Call of Duty games. Crackdown 2 was only released a month ago for €60 in the shops here, I got it this week delivered for €22. I got RDR for €37 when it was released brand new. I'm never going to spend over €50 on a game again when they are so cheap online when you shop around. I have Halo Reach pre-ordered for €41 delivered.

Also Xbox Live subs, get them online for €35 for 13 months, don't pay 50 or 60 quid in the shops here.

You guys have been a great help. Thanks very much.

I saw this deal:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5685619/Trail/searchtext%3EXBOX+360.htm

Which seems pretty awesome free 30month online subscription, controller etc.

What yous think?

• Advertisement

its a great offer but its 30 days free

its a great offer but its 30 days free

Aye made a mistype meant 30days:p

i would say its exactly what you want im even considering getting that and swapping my xbox in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i think its worth the extra for the new one, hmv has it for less than 250 and its much better than the old ones + wifi built in

-=al=- wrote: »
    i think its worth the extra for the new one, hmv has it for less than 250 and its much better than the old ones + wifi built in

depending on if you want to splash out for it, i would get the new one if i had 250 to spare but an elite will do me plus all my spare money goes to airsoft anyway:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Online is excellent. There's a sticky at the top of this forum with a link to purchase 1 year's membership for under 40 bucks. Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

From that picture I can't see weather it has a spare USB port. I already have one Xbox controller which I used to play for on the computer, using a USB port. Can I use that one in a xbox as well as a wireless.

Yes you can, in total the slim has about 6 usb ports to use.

Which would you recommend? (Money is tight etc).

I would recommend the 120gb, I have the 250 and its simply too much space vs. price.

Yes, the model xbox you have does not limit who or what you can play online, between model revisions, differing levels on each revision and limited editions there are over 10 different versions you could have... all can play together.
    4) How good is the online? From what I hear it seems pretty good. Not much lag etc. Is it 60euro for one year online membership??

Lag or latency is not determined by your console but is by your internet connection. Idealy anything above 3mbps down with 600kbps up will be ok, note that your QOS will be integral to gaming , your ping would idealy want to be under 50ms for a good connection.

So I bought the Xbox Elite. Got it in argos. Faily happy with it. Got a 1year warranty.

Bought UFC 2010 preowned for 25euro.

So it was about 205 for the xbox and 1 game. Happy with that.

How hard is it to set the xbox up viva computer monitor? Ideally would love to have the Xbox hooked up to my PC rather than on a TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

It's plug and play.

There's an Xbox VGA cable or you can use HDMI.

There's no xbox DVI cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

yeah xbox vga cable or in game theres a cheaper brand, easy enough, get a much better picture from going scart/rgb to vga... and hdmi is the best of course

Aye cheers al. Got the VGA cable and hooked it up to the monitor.

Works great. Is it possible to get sound from it? Doesn't seem to be working for me.

And if anybody wants to add me that plays Fifa/Gears of war/Tekken/Ufc my tag is: Shanooo92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

you will have to get a speaker set for the xbox as the vga cable only carries the video signal.Maybe even your pc speakers might plug in to back of the xbox(thats just a guess as I have mine plugged into my tv with a hdmi cable)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Aye cheers al. Got the VGA cable and hooked it up to the monitor.

Works great. Is it possible to get sound from it? Doesn't seem to be working for me.
    You need either
    a) A monitor/tv/speaker that takes in the Left & Right Channel audio (white and red cable)
    b) A converter that Left & Right Channel audio (white and red cable) and converters it to a 3.5mm audio jack

I use the latter, works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

You need either
    a) A monitor/tv/speaker that takes in the Left & Right Channel audio (white and red cable)
    b) A converter that Left & Right Channel audio (white and red cable) and converters it to a 3.5mm audio jack

I use the latter, works great.

As above, if you use this cable http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/, connect the red and white into one of these http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=411, this then plugs into the sound input on your monitor/speaker set. HTH.

Advertisement