Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refuse Registered Mail

Options
  • 27-08-2010 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Can you refuse to sign for a nasty registered letter? I assume you can.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

How do you know it's nasty til u sign for it and open it?

Have you been a bold person lately :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

When did good news ever travel by registered mail? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

:D

In fairness I can imagine you can refuse to sign for it. They can't make you sign it. If it's from a solicitor they may get sneaky tho.

You might be asked your name by someone. When you say your name or confirm it they may just push the envelope into your hand and have a witness say you recieved it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

If you refuse registered mail, the postman is obliged to give that reason when the item is being returned to the sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

Well of course you can refuse to sign for it. But be advised that the sender will able to advise the court that all reasonable endeavours were made to deliver the letter and the court will 'deem' the letter delivered for the purposes of the proceedings. Don't know why I'm assuming that it's from a solicitor............something about the tone of the OP:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Firblog wrote: »
    Can you refuse to sign for a nasty registered letter? I assume you can.
    How would you know its "nasty" before you would sign for and open it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

muffler wrote: »
    How would you know its "nasty" before you would sign for and open it?
    Twould have a Return address on it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Twould have a Return address on it :rolleyes:
    Goes without saying but that only confirms who sent it and does not represent the content of the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

muffler wrote: »
    Goes without saying but that only confirms who sent it and does not represent the content of the letter.

Because of previous dealings with sender(s)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Bob Z wrote: »
    Because of previous dealings with sender(s)

Most mail has the return address as a PO box now, i get letters from the bank ect monthly and wouldn't have a clue what their return address is.

Best thing to do OP would be to accept the letter, because sooner or later it will come back to bite you in the a$$!!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

An Post yesterday took 480 licence evaders to court, but a company source has revealed that less than half of the prosecutions took place in the end, as defaulters refused to accept registered mail which "they knew could only contain bad news".
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tv-spongers-dodge-letters-of-warning-197627.html

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Joe 90

A long time ago a friend of mine used to say 'Always refuse a registered letter. It's either someone sending you money or a summons and who the f**** is going to send you money?'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Aye, it'd be my opinion that good news never travels by registered mail, a view shared by alot of other people it seems lol

Advertisement