Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Boil your games!!!! ☺

• 27-08-2010 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭

I bought Lost Odyssey a while back second hand in Gamestop for €8 and got to the forth disc only to find out it wouldn't load (at all), so the other day i was in Xtra Vision and came across the same game for €7 used so i picked it up again.

Got home stuck it in the Xbox and low and behold it wouldn't load either (wtf?) both of the discs were in good nick with very few scratches but it allways failed to load and would always crash at 40% install, so i did some Googling and came across a post that said "steep the disc in boiling water for a few minutes and then give it a light rub with a cloth"

With nothing to lose i gave it a shot and guess what? It worked first time, it installed to 100% with no problems!

So if you are having trouble with a game try it, it might work for you too!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

It also works to solve the RROD issue :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

craze7 wrote: »
    I bought Lost Odyssey a while back second hand in Gamestop for €8 and got to the forth disc only to find out it wouldn't load (at all), so the other day i was in Xtra Vision and came across the same game for €7 used so i picked it up again.

Got home stuck it in the Xbox and low and behold it wouldn't load either (wtf?) both of the discs were in good nick with very few scratches but it allways failed to load and would always crash at 40% install, so i did some Googling and came across a post that said "steep the disc in boiling water for a few minutes and then give it a light rub with a cloth"

With nothing to lose i gave it a shot and guess what? It worked first time, it installed to 100% with no problems!

So if you are having trouble with a game try it, it might work for you too!

I would have just brought it back and got a replacement. Most people trade in games because they are broken. Game,xtravision & gamestop never check them and its up to us to find out if they even work.

Although i have never done the boil in water trick.

I have done the rent the game and replace it with the bad copy trick. some people may consider that bad, But if xtra vision don't want to check the game then its there own fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Thor wrote: »
    IMost people trade in games because they are broken.

Oh come on you know that is not true :confused:

calex71 wrote: »
    Oh come on you know that is not true :confused:

Well look at the stats, The op got not one but two bad copies of the game.

Also if they are bad copies the person who traded them in must have known that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

I think xtravision and such should try do a full game install on there traded game to be on the safe tho but i doubt they would have the time or patience for that.

Saying that tho, i have bought alot of used games in my time and this is probably the only one that never worked maybe Microsoft skimped on the disc quality to save money because the game is on 4 discs??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I think xtravision and such should try do a full game install on there traded game to be on the safe tho but i doubt they would have the time or patience for that.

Just don't go there! :D All we ever hear is how we should test games that are traded. Simply put, there is a minimal (with us anyway) risk involved with any second hand product. But you still have full cover with your receipt and, as mentioned above, are fully within your rights to return the faulty product. All that being said though, you won't be finding any scratched or poor quality discs in our store, we're scratch Nazis! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Although i have never done the boil in water trick.

I have done the rent the game and replace it with the bad copy trick. some people may consider that bad, But if xtra vision don't want to check the game then its there own fault.

havnt rented a game in yonks! do xtra vision or whatever nor mark the discs with a labell or anything so they know its the same disc coming back, or any osrt of differences

or are the rented games just normal discs with nothing different

niallon wrote: »
    Just don't go there! :D All we ever hear is how we should test games that are traded. Simply put, there is a minimal (with us anyway) risk involved with any second hand product. But you still have full cover with your receipt and, as mentioned above, are fully within your rights to return the faulty product. All that being said though, you won't be finding any scratched or poor quality discs in our store, we're scratch Nazis! :D

What about the inconvenience of having to bring a game all the way back to get a replacement, Also what do you do when we bring the game back, I'm assuming you test it to make sure its broken(so why not test before hand and save everyone the trouble)

I know they take the details down of the person who trades it in, But if you don't test it there and then, There is nothing you can do because he/she is no longer at fault for said item considering its been sold to someone else and you can't prove there was a fault when you received the game

Its only a 10 minute test to see if it works, Also i think if you started testing the games, People wouldn't try to get away with bringing in broken games.

I bought Perfect Dark Zero in game once and had to bring it back three times in a row as each copy was broken.

-=al=- wrote: »
    havnt rented a game in yonks! do xtra vision or whatever nor mark the discs with a labell or anything so they know its the same disc coming back, or any osrt of differences

or are the rented games just normal discs with nothing different

Maybe they take the serial numbers down(very hard to see them on the inside rim of the disc) But they aren't allowed to put labels as it can effect the operation of the disc.

I only did it once because they had no other copies of the game and refused to give a refund(I know). Said they would just give store credit) So instead of arguing my rights with them. I just rented them game and switched it.

Obivously made sure the rented copy worked:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Maybe they take the serial numbers down(very hard to see them on the inside rim of the disc) But they aren't allowed to put labels as it can effect the operation of the disc.

I only did it once because they had no other copies of the game and refused to give a refund(I know). Said they would just give store credit) So instead of arguing my rights with them. I just rented them game and switched it.

Obivously made sure the rented copy worked:D

I swapped the discs around years ago with my broken final fantasy X with a working one from chartbusters,they used to put stickers on them with a barcode but they still never copped it.

Also just to add,nail varnish remover on cotton wool made games work for me the 2/3 times i tried it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

What about the inconvenience of having to bring a game all the way back to get a replacement, Also what do you do when we bring the game back, I'm assuming you test it to make sure its broken(so why not test before hand and save everyone the trouble)

It's a decision you make when you buy used games. Some like to claim that they test them which I highly doubt, we instead guarantee them and stand over them, any problem and we will be more than happy to refund or exchange. But again I would point out, we are as strict as can be about what trade ins we take, any sign of damage and the game will not be taken so we do not expect people to have issues with PP games and the return percentages for us would be quite low
    Its only a 10 minute test to see if it works, Also i think if you started testing the games, People wouldn't try to get away with bringing in broken games.

To be honest, I've tried to test games if it was only one or two being returned and the tuts and sighs it has been greeted by made it not worth my time. Another problem then is a disc with an intermittent fault in which case a single test from us will not suffice. Again I'd point out that we, as with all other stores selling PP games, wills stand over the product and will not argue if it's found to be faulty. I can see how there is hassle involved in returning to the store but the fact that the store is allowing for this return policy shows that they are expecting the possibility of it and are adequately prepared!

Basically, I get what you're saying but on the other hand I think there is a little more to dealing with pre-played games than there is to straight up buying new but it will generally work in your favour to save the few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Does it work if you scramble them? Even poached is better....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

In regards to Lost Odyssey, there were massive problems with the 4th disc that were widely reported when the game shipped first. I had a brand new one , brought it back to the store as had same problem and got a new one and it worked fine. Have a vague recalection that at the time the company that made the game had stated that if anyone had any problems with disc 4 to send it back to them and they'd replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

The 4th Disc of Lost Odyssey has issues with the first pre-rendered cutscene (5 minutes in, probably has problems with the rest as well) and will often cut out at that point. By installing the disc to HDD you eliminate the problem :)

Advertisement