Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actuarial and Financial Studies - Recommended Electives/Modules for 1st year

Options
  • 27-08-2010 1:12am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I am an incoming first year student who will be studying DN020 Actuarial and Financial Studies. Module/Elective registration opens on the 2nd of September but I am unsure which electives are the best to take.

Has anyone who has done this course any recommendations or advice on choosing electives? It's rather confusing and I'd like to know before elective registration opens as some electives can apparently be booked out depending on demand.

Thanks in advance,
    Tim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

You do 12 modules a year. The modules for your course are here. "Core" means compulsory. In first year your course has ten core modules, no option modules and two elective modules. Electives don't have to cover the same topics as your other modules, they can be any first year module from across the university. You could do anatomy or law or whatever.

You can search for modules here.

A good way to judge if you will like a module is to look at the last exam paper for it.
    Go to www.ucd.ie/stuweb.
    Login using your CAO number and (unless they've changed the system) your date of birth in DDMMYY.
    Click on "Information for Students" then "Past Examination Question Papers".
    Stick in the module code of the module you want to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Hi,

I'm doing this course. A language is a good option to take if you liked languages in school. This course used to have a language as part of the core modules when it was first introduced.

There is a wide range of electives you can choose obviously enough. Just pick what you're interested in. Try and take challenging electives as I think taking "easy" electives is a bit dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I disagree with the above, languages can be a nightmare. No doubt you'll be "challenged" with what the ten modules you'll have to do anyway, the best thing would be to pick easy electives. Why? As good as a language might be, it'll take time to study, this can detract from your other modules. Also if you were to fail a module (electives are notorious for this), carrying a repeat into the next semester or year isn't worth the hassle.
    My advice would be to pick something interesting that doesn't require too many hours of work. I'm not being disingenuous to any modules etc... it just really isn't worth the unnecessary hassle just to have the "broad academic experience" espoused by Brady and Co.
    And besides, anything that can boost your gpa can't be all that bad.:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for the help. I didn't know you could take such a broad range of electives/modules - that is interesting! Although I'm not sure I would be interested in taking a language, as languages were always something I hated (I personally feel you need an aptitude in languages to do well at them).

Thanks for the help!

El Siglo wrote: »
    I disagree with the above, languages can be a nightmare. No doubt you'll be "challenged" with what the ten modules you'll have to do anyway, the best thing would be to pick easy electives. Why? As good as a language might be, it'll take time to study, this can detract from your other modules. Also if you were to fail a module (electives are notorious for this), carrying a repeat into the next semester or year isn't worth the hassle.
    My advice would be to pick something interesting that doesn't require too many hours of work. I'm not being disingenuous to any modules etc... it just really isn't worth the unnecessary hassle just to have the "broad academic experience" espoused by Brady and Co.
    And besides, anything that can boost your gpa can't be all that bad.:pac:
    And you are entitled to your opinion, however we were told at the start of the course that taking a language would be very beneficial. This course also offers awards to students for performance in languages.

Also I don't agree with taking easier modules either. Although they are great and require little work you may not have the prereqisites for future modules you actually want to take.

/RANT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Intro to Quantitative Economics will be a cinch for an actuary student...thank me later! Requires very little of anything to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

alan4cult wrote: »
    And you are entitled to your opinion, however we were told at the start of the course that taking a language would be very beneficial. This course also offers awards to students for performance in languages.

Also I don't agree with taking easier modules either. Although they are great and require little work you may not have the prereqisites for future modules you actually want to take.

/RANT

Cool story bro!:pac:

Thank you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

gutted, missed actuary by 10 points :(

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Slippers 2

You could do the Higher Diploma in Actuarial Science after your degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dtmc

Has anyone who has done this course any recommendations or advice on choosing electives? It's rather confusing and I'd like to know before elective registration opens as some electives can apparently be booked out depending on demand.

Yeah, I'd also recommend choosing a language for at least one of the electives. As said above, during orientation you'll be recommended to take one and apparently they seem sort of important going forward. I picked French Language 1a in first semester last year and was only a small step up from Leaving Cert French, wasn't too demanding!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I did Irish as my elective last year, Teanga na Gaeilge and Forbairt na Gaeilge Acadula.

This year I'm considering one Spanish and one module that may be useful, maths or some such.

Maybe have a look at the modules you'll do in further years and see if there are stage 0/1 modules in those subjects? TBH I wish I'd done that last year - I really enjoyed Teanga na Gaeilge but I hated Forbairt - one language module is enough I reckon :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate the help I'm getting.

I can understand what you are saying about languages being a good choice of elective, but without sounding awkward or choosy - I hate languages. Irish and French were by far my least favourite subjects in school. As I said above, some people really enjoy languages and have a good aptitude for them - I am not one of those!!

Are there any other electives, apart from languages, that would be a recommended and useful addition to the Actuarial and Financial Studies course? Is this course mainly mathematical, or is it equally based on the business/economics side as well as the mathematical side? Because I love maths and if there are extra electives that can be added on that are maths based, I would be interested in those. Similarly, Applied Maths and Accounting were great favourites of mine in doing the LC.

Thanks for the help again!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Maybe Algorithmic Problem Solving, Henry's fun with puzzles class?

Maybe take a look at the Mathematical Science first year modules, and see if there's anything there that interests you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

dtmc wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd also recommend choosing a language for at least one of the electives. As said above, during orientation you'll be recommended to take one and apparently they seem sort of important going forward. I picked French Language 1a in first semester last year and was only a small step up from Leaving Cert French, wasn't too demanding!

No they don't.

Are there any other electives, apart from languages, that would be a recommended and useful addition to the Actuarial and Financial Studies course? Is this course mainly mathematical, or is it equally based on the business/economics side as well as the mathematical side?

It definitely doesn't have to be a language, it can be absolutely anything :) Thats the beauty of electives! Languages just appear to be the trend, most people in my class took at least one language, some people didn't do any.

Most Stage 1 maths and stats modules that will be relevant to the course are core modules anyway, but there are some that aren't. I know a girl that took Maths of Google last year - its one of the options this year. The only thing would be don't take two modules that are offered as options later in the course as you'll be cutting down your options later!

Economics would be a good one, a friend of mine took Economics in Society last year.

Accounting and Finance are core modules in Stg 2 (I actually think it may be in Stg 1 from this year on) so I'd avoid those.

Business modules would probably be a good idea, there aren't any business modules (AFAIK) as part of the course, so it's obv. not a huge part of being an actuary, but it definitely wouldn't hurt!

Maybe take a look at the Mathematical Science first year modules, and see if there's anything there that interests you.

This is a good idea except about 6 of their modules are the same as first year actuary - leaves about 2 to choose from ;)

Its totally up to you - thats the thing about electives.
    Mardy Bum wrote: »
    No they don't.

We are all advised to take them and as said above they used to be options for the course - I personally think they're good because as an actuary you can work pretty much wherever in the world you want - why not learn the language?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Intro. to Business Analytics might be a good option for an Actuary or anyone who wants a bit of maths in a business context.

OK I'm seriously confused now. Module/Elective Registration doesn't open until tomorrow, but on my Registration page on SISWeb this is what I see
    coremodules.jpg

Now I may be a complete noob to the UCD system, but that seriously confuses me. I thought it was each Semester had 30 credits - 25 Core and 5 Elective. On my page, there are only 20 Core, adding up to 40 for the year. I don't think there are any options for Stage One of the course, so I'm not sure what is happening.

Also, why am I not automatically registered for some Core Modules, like Introduction to Programming?

Edit: On my SIS Web main page, this was displayed:
    Time Conflict on Monday at 1500 between ACC10040 - Financial Accounting 1 (49710 ) and STAT10060 - Statistical Modelling (56342)
    Please check for other offerings.

What does this mean? I didn't choose anything yet, these are all core modules (I think) how can there be clashes?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

OK I'm seriously confused now. Module/Elective Registration doesn't open until tomorrow, but on my Registration page on SISWeb this is what I see
    coremodules.jpg

Now I may be a complete noob to the UCD system, but that seriously confuses me. I thought it was each Semester had 30 credits - 25 Core and 5 Elective. On my page, there are only 20 Core, adding up to 40 for the year. I don't think there are any options for Stage One of the course, so I'm not sure what is happening.

Also, why am I not automatically registered for some Core Modules, like Introduction to Programming?

Time Conflict on Monday at 1500 between ACC10040 - Financial Accounting 1 (49710 ) and STAT10060 - Statistical Modelling (56342)

What does this mean? I didn't choose anything yet, these are all core modules (I think) how can there be clashes?

I have the same. Lets wait for tmr and see how this will sort out... In 2008 when I was registering, everything was good in the end.. For clashing modules, you just have to pick them at different time.. i think..

Is it ok to have Principle of Microeconomics in Semester 1 and Principle of Macroeconomics in Semester 2, or should they both be in the one Semester (or both be in both semesters?)

EDIT: Also, when I search for in-programme electives, nothing comes up (I didn't enter any search criteria!). What am I doing wrong?

• Advertisement

Yup, do one in each semester.

Micro in Semester 1 means lots of early starts - well it did last year, the modules have changed slightly this year.

They're grand though.

I don't mind early starts - gets me up out of bed anyway.

The large gaps between some lectures might be a bigger problem, but with the library and living on campus I doubt it will be an issue - a lot of my friends have large gaps between lectures as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

My take on the economics modules recommendations:

I second the recommendations of Intro to Quantitative Economics. It's just maths at roughly Higher Leaving Cert level of difficultly. If you're doing actuarial studies and are good at maths, taking that module will feel like cheating.

In the same vein, Intro to Micro economics should be plain sailing for anyone with a mathematical bent and a good memory. Multiple choice questions for both mid term and final exam makes getting an A very achievable with a little effort.

Intro to Macro is less maths orientated than the first two. I'd suggest that you would want to be interested in government spending, budgets, unemployment, etc, to take it as an elective.

I wouldn't recommend Economics and Society unless you're also doing at least Intro to Micro, to learn the underlying concepts. You need to develop an understanding of the material, and you need to do the required readings (i.e. go beyond just the lecture material) in order to do well. The year I did the course, marks were terrible and there was a high failure rate.

Pro tip for avoiding 9am lectures in Micro: Intro to Micro is taught 3 times a year. Twice in the first semester, and once in the second semester. In the first semester, one of the classes has a lot of 9am starts, the other does not. At this stage it is likely that only the 9am class has places left. However, there are 400 people in the class and no one is taking attendance. You can easily register for the 9am class, but (once 1st week enthusiasm has worn off and people stop going to lectures) show up to the other class later in the day. The same material is covered.

gutted, missed actuary by 10 points :(
    Slippers 2 wrote: »
    You could do the Higher Diploma in Actuarial Science after your degree.

You can do a maths/science degree and slog at the exams professionally after uni as well.
    Not fun though !

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

I chose Astronomy in first semester and Czech in second.. num num num...

"Timbuk2" did you make your mind yet? :)

coremodules.jpg

If you ring the programme office they should sort out the clashes. I'm sure somebody else probably has already. Since it's a denominated route, they won't let the clashes remain.

As for the rest, Principles of Micro- and Macro-Economics are core modules, right? So you should be registered for them, bringing your pre-elective credits to 50. :)

UCD moved a core module to a different time (to prevent two core modules from clashing) and now I can't do Mechanics and Special Relativity Elective Module.

I'm still not sure which module I want to do for Semester 2. Intro to Quantitive Economics looked excellent but it is incompatible with maths modules that I'm already doing as part of the course.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dee1989

Hey, I just finished the actuary course and I was the same as you in that I hated languages! A good few people in my class did language modules but a lot didn't as well. Intro to quants in def a poplular choice in first year - its really easy and does not require a lot of work at all. I did some information and communications technology class in the first semester (was pretty easy going, mostly theory as well as some simple practical work in excel and powerpoint etc) and a business management class called Management Principles and the Business Enviroment in the second semester which was awful - def one to aviod! After that I mostly did electives in accounting, ecomonics and finance areas since those were what interested me. I did the intermediate and advanced classes of the mircoeconomics you do in first year and I did the advanced class of the Financial accounting that I think you do in second year. You can basically do anything you want as long as it fits into your timetable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Maybe Algorithmic Problem Solving, Henry's fun with puzzles class?
    Think they may have shaken this module up. From what I heard, Henry wasn't doing it last year and it wasn't quite the coke & mars bar affair it used to be.
    Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Intro to Quantitative Economics will be a cinch for an actuary student...thank me later! Requires very little of anything to be honest.
    This. A1 bagged, although saving it for 3rd or 4th year might be wise where it counts toward your degree. Boost the GPA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Sean_K wrote: »
    Think they may have shaken this module up. From what I heard, Henry wasn't doing it last year and it wasn't quite the coke & mars bar affair it used to be.
    I took COMP10030 in 09/10 and it was still an easy A+. You might also win 20c or something.

Advertisement