Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actuarial and Financial Studies - Recommended Electives/Modules for 1st year

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

OK, so I didn't get the Quantitive Analysis for Business elective that I wanted in Semester 2, although I did get my Semester 1 elective (Introduction to Statistics for Science).

However, I would like to do Algorithmic Problem Solving (COMP10030) - but it is only in Semester 1. Can I do both electives in Semester 1 - i.e. none in Semester 2? Or is this taking on a lot of work for myself.

Also, there appears to be no labs/tutorials listed at all on my timetable, they all say 'LEC' although some of my modules have labs and tutorials which I am automatically registered for. As it stands, I have 17 hours in Semester 1, and 13 hours in Semester 2, every week.

Has anyone taken two electives (at 5 credits each) in one Semester? Would you recommend it, or warn against it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ABCDEFC

algorithmic problem solving. just dont do it. just dont. its f***ing ****e and awful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

OK, so I didn't get the Quantitive Analysis for Business elective that I wanted in Semester 2, although I did get my Semester 1 elective (Introduction to Statistics for Science).

However, I would like to do Algorithmic Problem Solving (COMP10030) - but it is only in Semester 1. Can I do both electives in Semester 1 - i.e. none in Semester 2? Or is this taking on a lot of work for myself.

Also, there appears to be no labs/tutorials listed at all on my timetable, they all say 'LEC' although some of my modules have labs and tutorials which I am automatically registered for. As it stands, I have 17 hours in Semester 1, and 13 hours in Semester 2, every week.

Has anyone taken two electives (at 5 credits each) in one Semester? Would you recommend it, or warn against it?

Thanks.

The Labs & Tut's will be filled in next week or so.

You can do both electives in Sem1, my friend did it last year. The workload is higher but the killer can be that extra exam at Christmas.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for the help. It turns out all the labs/tutorials have been automatically assigned to everybody in the science department one night - 23 hours a week now.

I have done two classes of Algorithmic Problem solving so far and I have to say it isn't as easy as people make it out at all - the lecturer is brilliant and gives out chocolate bars and that, but the puzzles themselves are actually quite hard to solve (but always obvious when he tells us).

I hope I get better at it - it seems like pure logic and it can't really be improved (by studying, etc.) but I'm sure the more I practice the easier they will become.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

When I did Algorithmic Problem Solving the questions that came up on the exam were pretty much the same as those done in class.

• Advertisement

Davidius wrote: »
    When I did Algorithmic Problem Solving the questions that came up on the exam were pretty much the same as those done in class.

Hmm that's interesting. When you did it, was Henry McLoughlin the lecturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

gutted, missed actuary by 10 points :(

You could've put down actuary in DCU as your second choice .... it's usually around 500. The only reason there is such a big difference in points is because it's UCD so demand is always higher, but you end up with the exact same qualification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sponge-97

alan4cult wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm doing this course. A language is a good option to take if you liked languages in school. This course used to have a language as part of the core modules when it was first introduced.

There is a wide range of electives you can choose obviously enough. Just pick what you're interested in. Try and take challenging electives as I think taking "easy" electives is a bit dumb.

I used to want to pick interesting ones too, but if you have enough cores and you're struggling with your GPA, choosing easy electives seems not so dumb, and almost the only way. You have to be doing better than a B+ average to get the 1.1 so it can be quite difficult (especially in arts). Not many are doing that well in my course at all. I wouldn't say dumb, it's just a strategy you don't agree with. That's my take on it anyway! :D

Advertisement